INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comida

+13
CheenaGringo
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
brigitte
CHILLIN
hound dog
slainte39
CanuckBob
gringal
ferret
viajero
Lady Otter Latté
seisdedos
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Comida Empty Comida

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:39 pm

gringal wrote:Absolutely right, Bob. People should eat when their tummybell goes off, not to show how oh-so-into-the-local-culture they are.
Most of these gringos have lived at least a half century, and they spent that time eating somewhere between noon and two. They also had their dinner way before nine p.m. So why knock themselves out to change now?

My post in the Swarm thread was said tongue in cheek. I could care less what time you old folks have your meals. But since others have also added their "opinion" let me say that eating schedules also influence health in general and my comment had nothing to do with "oh-so-into-the-local-culture they are" seeing that I assimilated into this culture at an early age. So, IMO, having the main meal of the day mid-afternoon, which generally means physical activity of some level afterwards, is healthier than having that meal later in the day and generally speaking followed by little physical activity. And it also lends itself to consuming a smaller meal or snack of lesser calories at a later hour.

seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Comida Empty Re: Comida

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Thank you for your concern for the health and well being of the ignorant doddering fools you hold in such obvious distain.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Thank you for your concern for the health and well being of the ignorant doddering fools you hold in such obvious distain.

Don't mention it.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm

seisdedos wrote: And it also lends itself to consuming a smaller meal or snack of lesser calories at a later hour.

What,like a typical Mexican cena of a big order of tacos or pozole at nine or ten a clock?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Thank you for your concern for the health and well being of the ignorant doddering fools you hold in such obvious distain.

"Don't mention it." -- seisdedos

Too late. I already mentioned it.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:17 pm

It depends entirely on what time you get up. When I get up at 6 a.m., I want lunch at noon. Different strokes for different folks. Healthy is what you put in your mouth not when you eat it. IMHO.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:09 pm

ferret wrote:It depends entirely on what time you get up. When I get up at 6 a.m., I want lunch at noon. Different strokes for different folks. Healthy is what you put in your mouth not when you eat it. IMHO.

Its both, IMO.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:09 pm

ferret wrote:It depends entirely on what time you get up. When I get up at 6 a.m., I want lunch at noon. Different strokes for different folks. Healthy is what you put in your mouth not when you eat it. IMHO.

Healthy, among other things, is not only what you put in your mouth, but when you put it there. Going to bed on a full stomach isn't the healthiest way to go.

I figured Seis was just stirring the pot for the helluvit anyway. Normal.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:12 pm

viajero wrote:
seisdedos wrote: And it also lends itself to consuming a smaller meal or snack of lesser calories at a later hour.

What,like a typical Mexican cena of a big order of tacos or pozole at nine or ten a clock?

Not that many people I know overindulge in the evening. YMMV. In our family, most times it is something like fruit or a sandwhich, perhaps a bowl of cereal.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Well the Mexican families I know have a full blown meal at 8 or 9 pm. That is the absolute worst time of the day to do it. Your biggest meal should be breakfast, then lunch, then dinner being the smallest and certainly not just before you hit the hay. Being that Mexico has one of the highest rates of diabetes and a growing obesity concern I wouldn't follow any of those traditions.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 pm

gringal wrote:

Healthy, among other things, is not only what you put in your mouth, but when you put it there. Going to bed on a full stomach isn't the healthiest way to go.

I figured Seis was just stirring the pot for the helluvit anyway. Normal.

Yeah, I don't think 6dedos is the one you want to be lecturing about "showing off local culture"...might apply to some "gringos viejitos". Cena around here for me is raisin bran and a banana, while the nietas are wolfin' down quesadillas and sincronizadas...but they burn up a lot more calories than I do.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 pm

seisdedos wrote:
viajero wrote:

Not that many people I know overindulge in the evening. YMMV. In our family, most times it is something like fruit or a sandwhich, perhaps a bowl of cereal.
A mi me gusta que me den atole con mi cena,pero no con el dedo.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:04 pm

It is so nice to have the Time Ingesttion Continuum experts now among us to police our behavior during each day and declare their moral superiority over the rest of us. I married into the French culture at an early age where they traditionally dine at mid day for at least two hours of even more all the while holding round table discussions on life and its consequences yet, despite consuming several courses including pre dinner fortified sipping wines, a variety of wines at the table, appetizers, perhaps soups, main courses of various meats, fowl and fish, salads, an abundance of delicious cheeses and desserts followed by high alcohol content distilled digestifs and strong coffee, they do not typically get fat or at least did not before McDonalds became the rage.

After this mid day repast, the French normally dine on left overs during the evening and, I should add, their breakfasts normally consist of croissants or such and coffee and, if they are farmers, perhaps a shot of high velocity brandy in the cafe express before beginning the field work.

Now, Alabama meals are another matter. Big breakfasts of ham or bacon or sausages and fried or scarmbled eggs cooked in bacon fat always kept on the stove in congealed form and pan ready and buttered grits and buttered toast with jam and perhaps a bit of bourbon in the coffee cup along with the orange juice.

Dinner (known as lunch elsewhere) served at noon exactly and the premier meal of the day, consists of a meat, fowl or fish dish or some derivation thereof such as meatloaf or salmon or tuna croquettes or (shudder) chicken a la king.

Damn if I remember what we had for supper but usually it consised of Hormel canned tamales or canned chop suey with repulsive fried noodles and Chung King soy sauce.

After growing up on this so called Mexican and Chinese food for ethnic supper nights, I always felt sorry for anyone forced to live in those places. I have since matured and now feel sorry for me and my youth in their stead.

Now that the food police have descended upon Lakeside I thank God for my high walls there and seasons in Chiapas. where people eat vast amounts of various sausages, tamales and beans accompanied by copious amounts of rum or pox.

Mind your own business I say.

Last edited by hound dog on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Well the Mexican families I know have a full blown meal at 8 or 9 pm. That is the absolute worst time of the day to do it. Your biggest meal should be breakfast, then lunch, then dinner being the smallest and certainly not just before you hit the hay. Being that Mexico has one of the highest rates of diabetes and a growing obesity concern I wouldn't follow any of those traditions.

The rate of obesity is owed to the influx of junk food into the diet and overeating. Not the meal schedule.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:10 pm

viajero wrote:
seisdedos wrote:
viajero wrote:

Ya sabes donde puedes meterte el dedo.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Please note this thread is in the Mirador not the Octagon. You are not the only one who understands Spanish.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Please note this thread is in the Mirador not the Octagon. You are not the only one who understands Spanish.

Why don't you translate it for the ones that don't?

seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 pm

[quote="seisdedos"]
CanuckBob wrote:Well the Mexican families I know have a full blown meal at 8 or 9 pm. That is the absolute worst time of the day to do it. Your biggest meal should be breakfast, then lunch, then dinner being the smallest and certainly not just before you hit the hay. Being that Mexico has one of the highest rates of diabetes and a growing obesity concern I wouldn't follow any of those traditions.

The rate of obesity is owed to the influx of junk food into the diet and overeating. Not the meal schedule. [/quote]

Agreed, Seis. When I first visited France in the 1960s, fat people were hard to find despite the fact that the typical French family normally spent up to two hours or more enjoying great meals accompanied always by copious amounts of wine. Then came fast food and a French society in a hurry to eat salt and fat laden, starchy fast food on the go. Today, unlike the years I first lived in France from the 60s to about the 80s, Tubs here could not find on the shelf clothing that I could buy that would even begin to fit me. Today no problem. The same is true in parts of Chiapas. We usually deal with the mostly thin semi vegetarian indigenous people of the highlands but I just came back from Chiapa de Corzo in Metropolitan Tuxla Gutierrez in the flats at a much lower altitude and fat folks abounded everywhere we went. I am trying to get my wife to agree to move down there where I feel so at home and perhaps a bit underfed..

Last edited by hound dog on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm

seisdedos wrote:
viajero wrote:
seisdedos wrote:
viajero wrote:

Ya sabes donde puedes meterte el dedo.
Donde te lo meti la otra vez?Te gusto?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Watch out, there are ladies reading your posts. No eres el unico pendejo que habla español por estos rumbos.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:32 pm

hound dog wrote:
Now that the food police have descended upon Lakeside I thank God for my high walls there and seasons in Chiapas. where people eat vast amounts of various sausages, tamales and beans accompanied by copious amounts of rum or pox.

An amusing line, anyway, but did your really mean posh, when you wrote pox?
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Is there a food police force forming? Late night Dagwood sandwiches banned? Mandatory lunch at three? OMG.
Head for the hills.
However, we do have Chiapas and France striding onto the field as per usual. Is any topic immune to this?
Sleep

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Why would I want to translate your adolescent posturing?
Why don´t you proudly claim what you are saying and write it so everyone can understand? Oh, that´s right. Then it will go into the Octagon where it belongs.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 pm

gringal wrote:Is there a food police force forming? Late night Dagwood sandwiches banned? Mandatory lunch at three? OMG.
Head for the hills.
However, we do have Chiapas and France striding onto the field as per usual. Is any topic immune to this?
Sleep

NOTHING is immune to this. Rolling Eyes
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 pm

seisdedos wrote: No eres el unico pendejo que habla español por estos rumbos.
Ya me di cuenta.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next