INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nissan Skyline GTR

+2
rs6000
CHILLIN
6 posters

Go down

Nissan Skyline GTR Empty Nissan Skyline GTR

Post by CHILLIN Sat May 18, 2013 12:00 pm

I didn't want to keep hijacking Spencer's legal post. These vintage cars are extremely popular in the U.S. and Canada. A group petitioned the US highway safety to allow them. Maybe the safety group didn't know these cars were going to tuned out to over 1,000 HP and capable of 180 miles per hour. I think there are some in Mexico too - foreign plated, owned by Mexicans. Tokyo drifters.

CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Nissan Skyline GTR Empty Re: Nissan Skyline GTR

Post by rs6000 Sat May 18, 2013 12:23 pm

I've seen 3 new GTRs in Guad, one in Andares , one in Abastos and another at a Nissan dealer workshop.
I wonder how these cars are imported .

rs6000

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat May 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Nissan already sells a version of this car in the U.S.

http://www.nissanusa.com/sportscars/gt-r/?next=header.vehicles.postcard.vlp.image

It is a non NAFTA car as it is made in Japan so that may make is hard for anyone to import but Nissan.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat May 18, 2013 5:06 pm

I have a 1995 (BNR32) that I bought during a trip to Japan a few years ago. I legally imported it into Canada where it still sits now resting peacefully. Even though it is RHD you can import anything into Canada legally as long as it is at least 15 yrs old or older. I sure wish Mexico had such a way since there could be some interesting toys brought in.

In my research there is a way to bring in "competition" vehicles for up to a year by working with a Mexican sanctioning body but I don't think I will bother going through all of the hassle.

BTW, just to clarify, the model designation "Skyline" is not used on the current generation Nissan GTR. That model designation was used only on the inline 6 cylinder twin turbo AWD versions of GTR produced by Nissan from 1989-2005. These were chassis models BNR32, BNCR33 and BNR34 and were only ever built as RHD vehicles.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 am

Ezzie wrote:I have a 1995 (BNR32) that I bought during a trip to Japan a few years ago. I legally imported it into Canada where it still sits now resting peacefully. Even though it is RHD you can import anything into Canada legally as long as it is at least 15 yrs old or older. I sure wish Mexico had such a way since there could be some interesting toys brought in.

In my research there is a way to bring in "competition" vehicles for up to a year by working with a Mexican sanctioning body but I don't think I will bother going through all of the hassle.

BTW, just to clarify, the model designation "Skyline" is not used on the current generation Nissan GTR. That model designation was used only on the inline 6 cylinder twin turbo AWD versions of GTR produced by Nissan from 1989-2005. These were chassis models BNR32, BNCR33 and BNR34 and were only ever built as RHD vehicles.

Lucky you! I got to ride in a Skyline in Japan and I got to drive one of the new GTR in Oregon. They are very closely related cars. The amazing thing
about the GTR is it acts perfectly normal until you stuff the go pedal. I have never been in anything that accelerates so fast off the line using the launch
control. I use to work for a Nissan dealer who raced after I retired so I got to play with a GTR for a short period of time. Once again lucky you!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun May 19, 2013 11:43 am

Ezzie wrote: I sure wish Mexico had such a way since there could be some interesting toys brought in.

I think of it as recycling. The Japanese really get screwed over on their vehicles. First they have to pay a retail price which is way higher than exports, then annual taxes and inspections - if you do over 5,000 km a year you pay a premium, and the older a vehicle is, the more you have to pay. Many of these vehicles are the perfect size for the working man Mexican, tough little diesel engines, in demand all over the world. That firetruck has less than 17,000 kms on it! What a waste, on global terms.

http://www.jdmbuysell.com/ad-category/isuzu/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun May 19, 2013 1:59 pm

I am bringing one of my toys for as long as I can stay Temporal. It is a Suzuki Escudo diesel transplant into a LHD Sidekick Sport body. Based on my experience it is the almost perfect vehicle for use in Mexico. I have seen them in some of the Caribbean countries such as the Dominican Republic.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rs6000 Sun May 19, 2013 2:43 pm

I made a mistake, the cars I saw in Guad are brand new Nissan GTRs not skylines.
GTRs are not sold by Nissan dealers in Mx.

rs6000

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun May 19, 2013 3:54 pm

I would be very surprised if Nissan Mexico was in fact able to import and sell them in this market. They are a limited production hand built vehicle and the dealerships that do sell them have to get specialized training for the technicians who service them. I would expect that the ones you have seen in Guadalajara are on a TIP and have been brought in by some Gringo on a Tourist Permit or Resident Temporal. What other way is there (snicker - wink!!!).

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun May 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Ezzie wrote:I would be very surprised if Nissan Mexico was in fact able to import and sell them in this market. They are a limited production hand built vehicle and the dealerships that do sell them have to get specialized training for the technicians who service them. I would expect that the ones you have seen in Guadalajara are on a TIP and have been brought in by some Gringo on a Tourist Permit or Resident Temporal. What other way is there (snicker - wink!!!).
if you're a mexican with tons of money, of which there are more than some of you think.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Bender Sun May 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Non-NAFTA vehicles can be imported.

Bob Bender
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 am

Ezzie wrote:I would be very surprised if Nissan Mexico was in fact able to import and sell them in this market. They are a limited production hand built vehicle and the dealerships that do sell them have to get specialized training for the technicians who service them. I would expect that the ones you have seen in Guadalajara are on a TIP and have been brought in by some Gringo on a Tourist Permit or Resident Temporal. What other way is there (snicker - wink!!!).

Of course Nissan can bring in whatever they want. I have a local plated bought in Guad Nissan Micra made in Great Britain. Nissan brings in all kinds
of French cars and they are not NAFTA. When you are the number one car manufacturer in Mexico and probably number one exporter you can bring
in some cars I bet.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 am

Also there have been three nationalization amnesties in Mexico since 1990. The last one was 2005 - it didn't matter where the cars were made. This is also why I wonder about all the fuss about TIP cars. There are lots of laws in Mexico which are on the books, but are never enforced. Did you know the law is you have to have your hazard lights on when in reverse? Ever hear of anybody getting a ticket for that?

Before you flush your vehicle down the toilet, or make a long trip back to Canada and back - check to see if your model is already sitting here in Jalisco, just waiting for some quality used parts and TLC. Mechanical and autobody TLC in Mexico is (roughly) 100 pesos per hour.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down