INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identity Theft in Progress!

+2
Trailrunner
Pogo
6 posters

Go down

Identity Theft in Progress! Empty Identity Theft in Progress!

Post by Pogo Thu May 23, 2013 1:24 pm

Good friends who live in La Floresta just told us that they observed a woman standing at a garbage can and going through bags of garbage, selecting pieces of paper and stuffing them in her purse. When our friends took out their cell phone to call the police, the woman hurriedly left disappearing into a walkway that goes to another street.

Our friends then walked over to inspect the garbage can the woman had been rifling through. They found two small, plastic garbage bags open with discarded mail spilling out. There were bills and documents with names, addresses and account numbers on them.

It is clearly not safe to put anything in the garbage that has names, addresses, account numbers or any other identifying information. Doing so is just asking to have your identity stolen and your accounts ripped off. Best advice is to burn any discarded mail or documents.

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Identity Theft in Progress! Empty Re: Identity Theft in Progress!

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Hope they took a picture of her. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Shred it.
Burn it.
Soak it.
Then throw what ever is left out.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu May 23, 2013 2:30 pm

While we have become quite diligent at shredding anything with our names, account numbers and address - there is a more high-tech method of identity theft that should be of greater concern. While US banks are dragging their heels, many other countries are leaping into RFID enhanced credit cards. It is amazing how easy and how cheap the technology is to capture your information without your knowledge:

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 pm

I burn all paper w/ account numbers.

I only pay bills from home computer. Our bank just went to a 15 character plus 2 numerals password. . It has a to be changed every 3 months. PITA.

Never use your smart phone or free wifi to charge anything or do banking of any kind. I don't use a debit card either. I go to the bank to withdraw cash.

When my computer dies I take out the hard drive drill holes it and put it in muratic acid for a couple of weeks, When I burn the brush pile in it goes.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't get mail, don't get it forwarded, don't want it, no bills other than WEB. My neighbor has been bringing mail into my home since Feb. 2013, cause US Postal won't hold it for more than, I think 60 days.

So when we get up to Casa Grande in August, 1-2 foot stack of junk mail doesn't get opened, Think I'll report my mail stolen this year.....ROLMFAO Identity Theft in Progress! 477249

Forgot to mention paid Handy Mail for 6 years, to receive virtually nothing of importance......now save that money to...LOL.....If I miss a letter from the IRS, Twisted Evil I'll plead the 5th! Twisted Evil
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down