INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lake level

+22
RickS
gringomojado
CHILLIN
halcon
juanrey
cacique
Smartalex
itsme
sambrit10
Mad_Max
albertrv
MexicoPete
Zedinmexico
kipissippi
espíritu del lago
TexMex
Rosa Venus
Pedro
David
slainte39
hickton
CanuckBob
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lake level - Page 2 Empty Re: Lake level

Post by cacique Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:38 pm

I would be interested in hearing residents impressions of the lake level; how it looks now versus a few weeks ago, and in general how the lake level affects the general ambiance of the Lakeside area.  Does a low level make things look bad compared to a high level, or does it not matter too much?
Thanks

cacique

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:34 pm

It matters when you know what it looks like "full".

I looked at Jesus el Pescador in Chapala yesterday. You can still walk to it without getting wet. When that "island" is surround by water, it'll be nice! Easy measuring stick.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 pm

cacique wrote:I would be interested in hearing residents impressions of the lake level; how it looks now versus a few weeks ago, and in general how the lake level affects the general ambiance of the Lakeside area.  Does a low level make things look bad compared to a high level, or does it not matter too much?
Thanks

Over the course of the last 2 years the lake has receded to where it loses some of it's beauty when you're walking the malecon.  But, even with the 100 yard walk from the malecon to the water, it's still very beautiful.  I can only speak for myself, but I'd love to see it all the way up to the break wall that's right in front of the malecon.  That would be great, but I have my doubts if it will get that far up any time soon.  To me it matters.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by halcon Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:47 am

definitely prefer a full lake. one reason for being here was boating.
have you ever approached Chapala by boat ?....... now that's a visual !
halcon
halcon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : if it's funny,i laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:57 am

For me, it's more than visual. When the lake is full, it reminds me of the ocean. It has the smell of the sea and the taste of salt spray in the air. In fact, when the Spanish discovered the lake, the considered it an inland sea. They called it the Mar de Chapalac.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:39 am

"Mar Chapálico"
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:41 am

I think all shorelines are more beautiful when the "tide is in" versus being out, whether it is a lake or the ocean. Of course when the lake is low here, it stays that way for long periods of time so the old lakebed gets covered in litter, ugly scrub and weeds. Not visually appealing at all.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:21 am

The history of Lake Chapala is an evironmental tragedy. In 1950, it was decided that the economic needs of Mexican farmers and industry, trumped the need for duck hunters, aquatic wildlife and the panoramic view of a few (at that time) wealthy homes. In 1955, there was a brief rally, because many were alarmed at the speed of the decline. Ducks and geese, for example, were now minimal. There was a holding period, based on hope the Lake would become a tourist mecca, especially to U.S. and Canadian RVers. The industries who need cheap waste disposal started to locate along the Santiago river. Now much of this waste in pumped into the Pacific, and is starting to cause major problems in places like picturesque Sayulita and San Pancho http://www.atl.org.mx/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6344:water-pollution-plagues-mexicos-scenic-pacific-coast&catid=114:contaminacion-del-agua&Itemid=576 Ducks versus Jobs - the Jobs won.

There is a compromise, one that brings jobs and beauty. There are many old timers here who think the whole shorefront should have been dredged in the first place. I think a bolder, and more practical solution would be to approach the Federal government about leasing lake space for an experiment in Chinampa farming. This is the ancient Maya farming system using manmade islands of the lakebeds. It is really very interesting if you google it. What would work is dredging channels in the lake bed, dumping the soil into chinampas. The channels would deep enough for those push pole boats, like the Venice gondoliers use. Because of the perception is that the lakebed is contaminated, it would be best to grow cut flowers. The idea is you go out in the boats, visiting various 'islands', buying a huge armful of cut flowers, and if you are real lucky, or for some cash, the boatman may sing you a bolero. This would be a great attraction to newlyweds, for example, or anyone who has a romantic pulse left in their body. There are lots of them around,fortunately, they fit into all age, ethnic, gender and income levels.

The chinampas would actually clean the soil, the water and the air. The jobs created would be the best in the world - growing flowers, messing about in boats, and singing songs. Almost heaven.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:39 am

Mexica

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 am

David wrote:Why does anyone think Steve is leaving?
Because he has said so himself.... leaving in a year for about a year; then??
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 am

good idea chillin..the local towns should start to attract the tourists with this kind of project.
also watersports , the bar at the end of the pier in ajijic should be made legal and use it for entertainment.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 am

They already have the fish farming project in Mezcala. You can take a look at www.luzdemalla.com
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:30 pm

That fish farming is interesting Bob. It depends on how much of a pessimist you are - if the Lake keeps dropping, it will eventually become salty, like Salton Sea, and the fish will die overnight. By encouraging chinampas the Federal government can control the leases and engineer the waterflows. A nice orderly patchwork, instead of the mass chaos of land poaching that takes place when/if the lake level really drops. The chinampas of Mexico City were able to sustain a population of 150,000, with still room to grow (with maintenance).
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:00 pm

The few chinampas left are in a very bad shape so I am not sure that would work and the dropping of water level would take care of the chinampas faster than anything else...
Maya did not have chinampas as far as I know. The Mayas growing flowers now are in Zinacantan, Chiapas in the mountains and they grow the flowers in greenhouses and drive as far as Merida and Mexico city to sell their flowers.
The chinampas in Mexico state are dying out and there is a major need to protect them or they will disappear so I do not see a great future in chinampas  either.
The Federal zone laws need to be enforced but it is up to the communities around the lake to do it . There iare plenty of locals with money, grabing the land when the water is down and not giving it back when they should, there is so much abuse and corruption about the use of that poor lake wether it is the land or the water that is it would be an enormous task and effort to get it back in good shape.
The banks could be used as beaches and grazing land and protected but I do not see that happening, as far as the water is concerned we only seem to get it when the states up stream do not know what to do with it so good luck to the lake and to people wanting to change anything.
Everyone has to be on the same page to change and there are way too many private interests that have no intentions of changing their ways and continue to irrigate the good old ways wasting huge amount of water, industries dumping  crap in  rivers, people stealing land, water going to Guadalajara and being wasted there as well and so on..
What measures do you see implemented to save water ,  stop the waste and corruption outside of nice speeches?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:10 pm

could the delegado comittee do something about this ? or at least co ordinate discussions with chapala , other lakeside village and jalisco government its in the interest of ajijic in general that the lake is properly maintained and the level is fixed.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by otrocanuck Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:53 pm

One of the most interesting things I have seen in regards to farming the waterways is the growing of muscles. They produce meat and also have the added benefit of cleaning the water, removing all types of toxins from it. Apparently muscles can clean water very efficiently and are almost carefree as a crop.
I suspect there are many crops that can help the lake regain some of it's previous glory but I too see the politics and money involved as being the biggest stumbling block to a viable lake. Without a governing body with clout I dont see any changes taking place. Too bad, imagine the tourism Chapala and all of lakeside would see if the water and beaches were clean, and it attracted people from Guadalajara as the west coast now does. A forty minute drive to a beach with clean water and the tourist facilities already in place here would create a lot of income for those around the lake including me.
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm guessing you mean "mussels".
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:39 pm

brigitte wrote:The few chinampas left are in a very bad shape so I am not sure that would work and the dropping of water level would take care of the chinampas faster than anything else...
Maya did not have chinampas as far as I know. The Mayas growing flowers now are in Zinacantan, Chiapas in the mountains and they grow the flowers in greenhouses and drive as far as Merida and Mexico city to sell their flowers.
The chinampas in Mexico state are dying out and there is a major need to protect them or they will disappear so I do not see a great future in chinampas  either.
The Federal zone laws need to be enforced but it is up to the communities around the lake to do it . There iare plenty of locals with money, grabing the land when the water is down and not giving it back when they should, there is so much abuse and corruption about the use of that poor lake wether it is the land or the water that is it would be an enormous task and effort to get it back in good shape.
The banks could be used as beaches and grazing land and protected but I do not see that happening, as far as the water is concerned we only seem to get it when the states up stream do not know what to do with it so good luck to the lake and to people wanting to change anything.
Everyone has to be on the same page to change and there are way too many private interests that have no intentions of changing their ways and continue to irrigate the good old ways wasting huge amount of water, industries dumping  crap in  rivers, people stealing land, water going to Guadalajara and being wasted there as well and so on..
What measures do you see implemented to save water ,  stop the waste and corruption outside of nice speeches?

Mexica ( Nahautl speakers) many times called Aztecs and neighbors used chinampa farming in the lakes of The Valley of Mexico, including Xochilmilco and Texcoco.
As far as I know, Maya have always been slash/burn farmers. It would be interesting to know if Pre-hispanic cultures in the Chapala region used chinampas,

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:43 pm

When we visited Guachimontones, the lake there appear to have had chinampas. Some of the lake banks reminded me of the of the chinampas countryside from Xoxhimilco. I would bet there were chinampas there before, go and check it out if you have not been, it is pretty interesting.

The Lerma is 750 km long start in Mexico state goes through Guanajuato and Michoacan before getting to the Lake. Just check out the river going back up, it is a disgrace a and sewer in many parts, Jalisco is not the only state involved and it could be a leader in fighting for the lake but I guess that is not a priority or at least a very difficult and expensive long term project and politicians have a short attention spann.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Interesting document about the lake - http://www3.cec.org/islandora/en/item/11004-north-american-environmental-law-and-policy-volume-29-en.pdf

for example - within this document

The Submitters assert that the low water level in Lake Chapala is due to Mexico’s failure to effectively enforce the environmental law at issue.563 LGEEPA Article 5, paragraph XI, vests Semarnat with the power to regulate the sustainable use of,and to preserve, national waters.
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:09 pm

More info on chinampas here:

http://geo-mexico.com/?p=9787
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by shmiller Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Couple fotos taken a few days ago shows the Lake Chapala water level improving.

Lake level - Page 2 10089598703_e7373d4c26_b

Lake level - Page 2 10089541136_2b05d30693_b
shmiller
shmiller

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2