INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

internet TV

+2
CheenaGringo
SunFan
6 posters

Go down

internet TV Empty internet TV

Post by SunFan Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 am

Anyone using this product?

http://www.roku.com/

Any opinions?

Thanks

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

internet TV Empty Re: internet TV

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:26 am

You might want to read the following thread in the tech section:
https://www.insidelakeside.com/t9478-android-tv-box

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:56 am

Works well for me, perhaps the best of this type... although I am getting reports that "Android TV boxes" are superior because of their direct connection to your TV without need for a computer, and they support wireless keyboards and such (which Roku does not).

Roku has many channels that are free, but many, many more that require monthly subscriptions. It is NOT a good way to surf Internet as of yet, while the Android TV boxes appear to be.

My Roku is connected via ethernet cable, which works much better than the wireless capability because of the distance from the modem (not that far, but enough that streaming TV shows and the like takes constant hits, causing pausing and stuttering). With the direct cable connection, this still happens just because of the nature of the Internet, but not as often.

One of my customers is listening to German radio and talk shows on hers, subscription-free.

For getting NetFlix U.S. and other American-based channels, here in Mexico an IP blocker or VPN service is necessary at a cost of about $5 US a month. There are a variety of these, but most are too complicated to use for the average Josephina who doesn't care to meddle with settings all the time.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:19 pm

HelperGuy,
do you think that any/much of your pausing and stuttering problems are exacerbated by the VPN?

George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:49 pm

I would say it certainly doesn't help. However, I don't use a VPN except when I'm testing a new service, and the stuttering/pausing is a direct result of two things: Internet speed, and wireless distance.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:37 am

Internet TV turns out to be a moot point for me. Turns out god old TelMex can't pump more than 1.6 megabits over the 60 year old copper twisted pair we have here in Chula Vista.

God bless Carlos Slim and the government that lets him strangle the Mexican people.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:35 pm

I use Roku (version 2) and subscribe to HuluPlus and Netflix. I also use it for Pandora (radio) and PBS (free but limited). I have a VPN and connect via Telecable. I also pay for an extra service from Telecable called IP-plus which is supposed to give you a stable IP address for a week (unlike the change every four hours that the basic system gives you). But I haven't found it improves maintaining a connection.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't understand why people pay for tv online when it's all available for free. In the past couple of days I've watched the newest episodes of Big Bang Theory, Ink Master and Downton Abbey as well as the movies Pacific Rim and The Internship. Didn't cost me a dime. Feel free to pm me if you'd like specific details, assuming you can't find these things on your own.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down