INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Famous Shaw Fire Log and the Virgin of Guadalupe

+8
martygraw
lunateak
Mainecoons
CanuckBob
cane
Carry Bean
gringal
hound dog
12 posters

Go down

The Famous Shaw Fire Log and the Virgin of Guadalupe Empty The Famous Shaw Fire Log and the Virgin of Guadalupe

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:55 am

This Sunday morning about 5:30AM, Dawg was awakened by copious fireworks and the sounds of local Ajijic bands attempting to play Las Mañanitas and, while Dawg has become not only accustomed to this rather peculiar Mexican custom over the years of living here, I felt that this year I should become more involved. Just yesterday, Dawg had discovered the absolutely perfect compliment to Canadian life when cruising my Shaw (formerly Starchoice) satellite service in search of the current weather report from Yellowknife, The Yukon Territory (today´s high -40 Fahrenheit) when I happened upon a service of which I was previously unaware. That would be The Famous Shaw Firelog which, as it turns out is a 24 hour a day High Definition representation of a fire in a fireplace complete with the crackling sound such a fire in real life would make and the only thing I was missing was some incense to create the complete ambience of a fire in the hearth including the aroma and it occurred to me that this may be what passes for entertainment in the far reaches of the frozen tundra so, what the hell, I got involved and got up and turned on the ecologically correct phony Canadian fire and listened to the cojetes celebrating the also questionable Virgin of Guadalupe and as I sat there enjoying my pretend Christmas I recalled my last Christmas at home in South Alabama back in the 1960s when, as often happens that far south the weather on Christmas day was in the 80s Fahrenheit and it was damned hot but, what the hell, it was Christmas day which requires a roaring fire in the fireplace so what were we to do? My dad finally came up with a solution. He turned on the new home central air conditioning system full blast to get the temperature down to the mid 60sF and built that roaring fire so we could celebrate Christmas appropriately as historically expected. In the 1960s we were not that concious of such things as energy conservation but we knew for sure a roaring fire was requisite to a successful Christmas day.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

The Famous Shaw Fire Log and the Virgin of Guadalupe Empty Re: The Famous Shaw Fire Log and the Virgin of Guadalupe

Post by gringal Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:07 am

Christmas in Southern California seldom warrants a roaring fire, but the soul needs one, and while we lived there, fireplace-less, I recalled seeing the "Roaring Fire" tape in the local video store.
I bought one and on Christmas Eve and Day........it crackled away, with an off-camera tool poking at it and adding to the embers. It has accompanied us on trips where the lodging had tape capacity. A real find, and beats the hell out of the TV holiday specials.

Mexican Christmas weather is definitely cold enough for the real thing, though. Especially lately.
mariachi

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

The Famous Shaw Fire Log and the Virgin of Guadalupe Empty Re: The Famous Shaw Fire Log and the Virgin of Guadalupe

Post by Carry Bean Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:15 am

So what station does it play on?

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 am

High Definition Channel 268.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by cane Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:48 am

The Famous Shaw Fire Log and the Virgin of Guadalupe Shaw-fire-log2

cane
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:56 am

I don't have high def. I found it on channel 530 though.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:45 pm

On Bell Satellite they also have the "Aquarium" channel for those who want to have a salt water aquarium to look at without the cost and care......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:11 pm

CanuckBob wrote:On Bell Satellite they also have the "Aquarium" channel for those who want to have a salt water aquarium to look at without the cost and care......

On Shaw, they have Fox News for those who want to look at news without receiving actual disturbing information,
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Yeah, like what the left is really up to. That is disturbing for sure.

LOL
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:58 am

You might find the Shaw Fire Log on 338 (HD) or 264.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:14 pm

hound dog wrote:This Sunday morning about 5:30AM, Dawg was awakened by copious fireworks and the sounds of local Ajijic bands attempting to play Las Mañanitas and, while Dawg has become not only accustomed to this rather peculiar Mexican custom over the years of living here, I felt that this year I should become more involved. Just yesterday, Dawg had discovered the absolutely perfect compliment to Canadian life when cruising my Shaw (formerly Starchoice) satellite service in search of the current weather report from Yellowknife, The Yukon Territory (today´s high -40 Fahrenheit) when I happened upon a service of which I was previously unaware. That would be The Famous Shaw Firelog which, as it turns out is a 24 hour a day High Definition representation of a fire in a fireplace complete with the crackling sound such a fire in real life would make and the only thing I was missing was some incense to create the complete ambience of a fire in the hearth including the aroma and it occurred to me that this may be what passes for entertainment in the far reaches of the frozen tundra so, what the hell, I got involved and got up and turned on the ecologically correct phony Canadian fire and listened to the cojetes celebrating the also questionable Virgin of Guadalupe and as I sat there enjoying my pretend Christmas I recalled my last Christmas at home in South Alabama back in the 1960s when, as often happens that far south the weather on Christmas day was in the 80s Fahrenheit and it was damned hot but, what the hell, it was Christmas day which requires a roaring fire in the fireplace so what were we to do? My dad finally came up with a solution. He turned on the new home central air conditioning system full blast to get the temperature down to the mid 60sF and built that roaring fire so we could celebrate Christmas appropriately as historically expected. In the 1960s we were not that concious of such things as energy conservation but we knew for sure a roaring fire was requisite to a successful Christmas day.

So................Bubba the blowvating bard from Bamma is back, and he's found a board, (not many left that he has not been banned from) that will let him blowvate till the cows come home. He just loves to give the impression that he has been everywhere, done everything and most importent someone everyone should listen to. Problem is that he seldom checks the authenticity of what he writes about. Case in point the fact that he reported that the temp in Yellownife, the Yukon was -40 Fahrenheit as the high for the day. I know it's cold up there, having spent my youth in the north but come on Bubba, first Yellowknife is in the N.W.T not in the Yukon (there is a little matter of the MckKenzie Mt. chain seperating the two), Second, there is not a weather service in Canada that reports the weather in Fahrenheit, and thirdly the actual weather for Yellowknife was -23 celcius on the date reported. This is just on example of the type of things that are dreamed up by Bubba. I expect a lot more to come. So have fun reading what he writes, but don't take him to seriously, after all he's just a brain dead banker from Bamma.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Now I'm disillusioned.

I was thinking of joining the Dawg Fan Club.

Dammit!

Evil or Very Mad
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:32 pm

martygraw wrote: This is just on example of the type of things that are dreamed up by Bubba. I expect a lot more to come. So have fun reading what he writes, but don't take him to seriously, after all he's just a brain dead banker from Bamma.

The mutt can be/is full of shit but that's just a little hyperbole he is known for using. Not meant for dead on accuracy. But it did get a rise from you so it was effective as usual.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 am

[quote="Solovino The mutt can be/is full of shit but that's just a little hyperbole he is known for using. Not meant for dead on accuracy. But it did get a rise from you so it was effective as usual.[/quote]

Thank you Solovino. The style of your prose is a dead-on giveaway as to who you are and It´s good to see you around. Dawg considers certain bannings to be badges of honor and has found that there is always some redoubt of reprobates ready to welcome my participation in community discourse publicly aired on a forum.

As for the use of fahrenheit versus celcius, for years now Dawg has subscribed to Starchoice/Shaw if, for no other reason, than to watch weather reports and endlessly boring public interest shows from the frozen tundra. Dawg has also been married to a Frog for almost 40 years so this South Alabama redneck is somewhat familiar with centigrade readings. I am reminded of a complaining Canadian (the usual state of so many seemingly constantly self-concious Canadians) who were trying to explain why folks from North American political jurisdictions south of the tundra were always blaming Canadians for lousy winter cold fronts. These folks took the Detroit and Windsor weather reports as examples. Here it was, at mid-day 55 degrees in Detroit and only 12 degrees in Windsor just a few miles/kilometers away. Damn Canadians and their cold fronts hovering just over the border.

In Alabama, back in the 70s, the state and feds tried to help folks become accustomed to measuring distances in both miles and kilometers by posting each distance equivalent on highway signage but people became so incensed the state had to remove any reference to kilometers. Makes you think Alabama is a backward place, no? Well, Dawg was mightily impressed while watching television originating from Toronto at the number of ethnic grocery stores available in Metropolitan Toronto and I had vowed that when I visited Ontario as I had planned to do back in 2004, I would head over to some of the stores featuring East Indian and Arab and Asian and Greek and Turkish foods and, when we had some guests from Ontario staying with us in Ajijic, I remarked how lucky they were to have that large selection on etnic grocers in Metropolitan Toronto their response was; "Oh, we never go there. Those neighborhoods are dangerous and, besides, the food those stores sell is strange and probably unsafe to eat."
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:25 am

I love the arm that comes in a pokes the fire on the fireplace channel. I think I am warped. Basta

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:28 pm

bimini6 wrote:I love the arm that comes in a pokes the fire on the fireplace channel. I think I am warped. Basta

How often does that happen.

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down