INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casual chatter

+8
Carry Bean
prestonway
Ms Mac
lunateak
gringal
juanrey
Intercasa
oncesubtle
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Casual chatter Empty Casual chatter

Post by oncesubtle Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:30 am

Having been freshly chastised for lurking and seldom posting I will make an attempt (feeble though it may be) to participate. I don't have much to offer as there are so many regulars who know more Spanish, more about the culture and history of Mexico, travel and the daily doings lakeside. My contributions will be mostly observations and hopefully an interesting sidelight or two. With that in mind, some ramblings:

Being a landlord: Highly recommended - nice ROI, taxes are low, meet lots of nice people. Down side - dogs. While most are well behaved it only takes one or two to really tear a place up. Also there is the possibility that the next renter will be allergic to pet dander and/or hair and that can be a disaster.

Real estate agents: There are the good the bad and the ugly like anywhere else but here there are no disclosure laws so buyer beware. My fav. line from an agent while we were looking for our place said, when questioned by my wife about the broken glass atop a perimeter wall, "It's to keep the squirrels out."

Restaurant menus: Really enjoy the misspellings (not that I could do any better) but draw the line at offerings like Pulled Pork Sandwich, just can't do it.
Mosquito bites: Rather than a sundown slather just a drop rubbed on a bite will take away the itch.

New restaurant: (well, kinda) Laguna Beach on the malecon in Chapala, two doors west of the Beer Garden. Typical seafood fare, well priced but the deal is the view. Highly recommend a sunset dinner at one of the three tables in front of the open mega-window.

Cheap Liquor: 19 pesos will get you a liter of Mescal. It's some kind of Agave derivative (so it can't be all bad) but I'm here to tell you I'll stack that stuff up against any sippin' tequila you got.

Crime: Been living in Chapala just over 4 years and don't know anyone who has been a victim of crime other than a friend who said another friends home had been burglarized. (I know I know) it does happen but common sense rules. And btw, I checked the crime stats. of our former backwater berg in CA the other day and dang, some really scary stuff. (At least they finally caught the serial killer)

Scorpions: Found a dead one once on a 1st. floor patio.

Real estate investments: (o.k folks remember, my opinion) I think real estate prices will rise substantially within the next few years for more reasons than one, but a big one: Corporate and Governmental researchers plan well in advance and there is some heavy investment coming to lakeside like the 3 new Pemexs, roads and other improvements. Sumpin' going on.

O.k Mod-Bob, about that vette...
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Casual chatter Empty Re: Casual chatter

Post by Intercasa Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:43 am

I agree, Chapala has alot of potential to grow. With many roads being widened like the one to Vista Del Lago and the new film studios and software park as well as a shortcut from Tlachichilco (past Vista Del Lago and after San Juan Tecomatlan) there will be more middle class Mexicans and a better standard of living although the local yo yos who have done nothing will be in for a shock as prices will rise.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:00 am

Hey oncesubtle good post, thanks.
I do have a couple questions:
1. What's wrong with pulled pork sandwiches? Got em all over here in Texas
2. On Mosquito bites - one drop of what takes the itch away?
Thanks for the statement on Crime - my wife has been reading all the posts that said exactly the opposite, like "Everyone I know has been a victim".
This is the kind of post that helps someone who hasn't been down yet, but is contemplating the trip and move. Thanks, and hope to hear more from you.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:24 am

juanrey wrote:Hey oncesubtle good post, thanks.
Thanks for the statement on Crime - my wife has been reading all the posts that said exactly the opposite, like "Everyone I know has been a victim".
This is the kind of post that helps someone who hasn't been down yet, but is contemplating the trip and move. Thanks, and hope to hear more from you.

Thanks for the compliment juanrey, I half expeted more rocks than roses but the day, she is young. As to the Pulled Pork sandwiches, never heard of them before and the name just kinda put me off. ;-) One drop of 'mosquito repellant' rubbed in and viola. Thanks again, (another) Bob
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:28 am

Hi, and welcome
I was wondering the same thing about the mosquito bites.

Pulled Pork does sound a little kinky.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:38 am

i think yer thinkin' of choked chicken samiches,gringal.

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:04 am

Pulled pork is where they pull it apart so it's just some stringy pieces as opposed to slicing it, like they do beef. Lots of sauce Bar BQ an wash it down with a cold cerveza and you're good to go.

Now Pedro I never heard of choked chicken sandwiches. I know the 1st part but don't know how you make the sandwich?
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:15 am

Choked chicken, flogged dolphin, waxed carrot, make a hot dog smoothie,
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm going to wash out my eyeballs now....
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:32 pm

I think someone needs more sleep! Casual chatter Icon_lol

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:47 pm

Intercasa wrote:I agree, Chapala has alot of potential to grow. With many roads being widened like the one to Vista Del Lago and the new film studios and software park as well as a shortcut from Tlachichilco (past Vista Del Lago and after San Juan Tecomatlan) there will be more middle class Mexicans and a better standard of living although the local yo yos who have done nothing will be in for a shock as prices will rise.

Hey Spencer, you mentioned "With many roads being widened like the one to Vista Del Lago and the new film studios and software park as well as a shortcut from Tlachichilco (past Vista Del Lago and after San Juan Tecomatlan)..." please do share.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Ok, they are making the road out to Vista Del Lago 3 to 4 lanes and also I've heard HP will be building a facility out that way. They are making a shortcut to Ocotlan also as the current road to Mezcala is a very rough ride. The road is probably 80% done from pictures I've seen and will be a nice way to save time driving to Morelia.

On the libramento they already inaugurated the film studios during the film festival in Guadalajara, you'll see the red arch off towards Chapala if you are at the top, and they are building a software park and the road is scheduled to be expanded to 4 lanes soon. This is supposed to bring around 3,000 middle class jobs to the area.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by prestonway Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:02 am

juanrey wrote:Pulled pork is where they pull it apart so it's just some stringy pieces as opposed to slicing it, like they do beef. Lots of sauce Bar BQ an wash it down with a cold cerveza and you're good to go.

Now Pedro I never heard of choked chicken sandwiches. I know the 1st part but don't know how you make the sandwich?

Where's Zooey now????

You make the sandwich by putting the pulled pork between two buns... :lol:
prestonway
prestonway

Humor : Sorry...grumpy

http://www.simonsaysroses.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:25 am

Best way to have a pulled pork sandwich is to top the meat with coleslaw & everyone will think you're from the Carolinas.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:11 am

I agree with you. It was a good post and he/she needs to chime in more often. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:19 am

oncesubtle wrote:

Thanks for the compliment juanrey, I half expeted more rocks than roses but the day, she is young. As to the Pulled Pork sandwiches, never heard of them before and the name just kinda put me off. ;-) One drop of 'mosquito repellant' rubbed in and viola. Thanks again, (another) Bob

Never heard of pulled pork? Where are you from? I love pulled pork. It is simply pork that is pulled apart (shredded) with barbecue sauce and served on a bun. Great stuff. I have had no problem with mosquiotes yet, as they usually come big time when the rainy season starts. I am getting very nervous about dengue, which seems to be increasing down here. When the rains begin, I will lather up with repellent anytime I am outside. I suggest that everyone do the same. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:24 am

gringal wrote:Hi, and welcome
I was wondering the same thing about the mosquito bites.

Pulled Pork does sound a little kinky.

You need to stop, although I am still laughiing, but am not allowed to comment any further. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:27 am

juanrey wrote:Pulled pork is where they pull it apart so it's just some stringy pieces as opposed to slicing it, like they do beef. Lots of sauce Bar BQ an wash it down with a cold cerveza and you're good to go.

\Just speaking for myself, but I do not want to know. zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:32 am

Intercasa wrote:Choked chicken, flogged dolphin, waxed carrot, make a hot dog smoothie,

Yeah, and pushing up stools in a gay bar. You said it, I just remember it. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:38 am

prestonway wrote:

Where's Zooey now????

You make the sandwich by putting the pulled pork between two buns... :lol:

I am right here. Cute comment. Please know that by agreement with the moderator, I am no longer gay. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:42 am

Carry Bean wrote:Best way to have a pulled pork sandwich is to top the meat with coleslaw & everyone will think you're from the Carolinas.

Man, does that sound good. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:59 am

I'm not from the Carolinas but coleslaw on top of barbecued pulled-pork is good eating!

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lobo2626 Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:51 am

lol! I'm still laughin'.
Lobo2626
Lobo2626

Humor : Pardon me if I don't laugh at your joke. There are very few I haven't already heard and I don't laugh just to be polite.

http://www.lrafferty.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:48 am

UHHHH...what are we really talking about here?

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:57 am

edited

Last edited by pedro on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content