INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raw honey

+8
sumofabit
Freedomist
Bill Phillips
borderreiver
MyHomeSweetHome
CheenaGringo
ComputerGuy
Ms.Thang
12 posters

Go down

Raw honey Empty Raw honey

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I have never even seen fresh raw honey but a friend brought me some grime Durango. It is creamy colored, solid and the quart jar weighs a ton. It is divine, which is a problem because sugar has been off my menu for months. I have not even been tempted by any sugary car by thing until now...it. Is that good.

So , how to I store it. Would anyone like to pontificate on raw honey, storing it, uses for it? I know nothing except it is awesome on a flax cracker with butter.

By the way , the friend who gave me this honey is the Ajijic ( and Durango) Stained glass Artist Sergio (Amir?) . His ex wife (mother of the 2 girls) recently died of Leukemia .

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Raw honey Empty Re: Raw honey

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:14 pm

I believe most of our honey around here is "raw", or unpasteurized. Just means it comes straight from the comb. Store it in the cupboard as usual. "Creamy" honey has been spun or whipped and represents a different granularity, usually mixes of two types.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:12 pm

I have read claims that contend that consuming raw local honey for a period of time will help build an immunity to localized allergies to various vegitation. Had never had an issue with allergies but it seems that with old age, it becomes a consideration. Since I prefer to avoid drugs of any sort but am by no means a natural medicine type, I invested in some jars of local honey to see if this theory works.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:33 pm

For the past 4 years now our home has been stocked with raw honey.  We buy it by the 5 gallon buckets from a bee keeper through a friend.  It's creamy colored and pure.  You'll see pollen particles in it.  In fact, on a recent trip to Peru, bought some raw honey that came from Eucalyptus groves in Huancayo.  It tastes like butter.  

If it's crystalized, it still could be alright.  Someone gave me a jar, said it was raw, and it was hard as rock...i ended up throwing it away, not sure what that stuff was but it wasn't any better with a little heat.  

I have a 5 gallon bucket from last year that went rancid :-S  You have to store it in a cool dry dark place if you want it to keep the antibiotic properties...sorry I'm not able to write/speak or think technical...just my knower knows lol

You can substitute honey in just about anything you'd use a sweetener for.   We didn't like the flavor so much in our holiday desserts a few years ago, so I allow raw sugar for that now.  But try it in anything you like and if you like it, keep using it.  

The honey you often see sold in the tianguis or across the hill at the honey stands that is clear looking has more than likely been compromised.  1. by heating it to make it look more "appealing", giving it that honey color...heat kills the benefits of raw honey and 2. I was told they'll make it go further by adding corn syrup to it :(  

I have two in the house that used to suffer from allergies, they no longer do...we are rarely sick.  In fact, I was just calculating yesterday how many times little foot has been sick.  In 4.5 years...a total of 4 times.  We killed the onset of strep throat with raw honey, you can eat raw honey when you're sick because it'll make you better.  It's the number 1 best cough medicine.  

Try it in your tea but it will lose the antibiotic "power" from the heat.  We had it on fresh bread this evening.  Little foot just asks for a spoonful at random and never refused.   Bake some bread with it, make a smoothy with it.  Eat a TBL a day and boost your immune system!   Dip your apples in it.  Even carrots.  the list goes on and on...sweeten your whipped cream with it on Thanksgiving!

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:59 pm

Anyone know the local address of Sergio, the stained glass artist and honey guy ? TIA
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Phillips Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:00 am

Sergio speaks perfect English.  His web page is:

Aimar Stained Glass
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Post by Freedomist Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:41 am

Raw honey is a potent anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, and needs no refrigeration. Raw honey is a highly effective cough syrup, wound disinfectant, herpes cure among a long list of infection treatments.

Freedomist

Back to top Go down

Post by sumofabit Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:46 am

Freedomist wrote:Raw honey is a ...herpes cure ...

Treatment yes, cure no.

sumofabit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:55 am

When I first moved to the "country" from living in San Francisco (NOB) I was a mess with sinus problems. A local woman advised taking a spoonful of raw LOCAL honey and after a few months, the problems disappeared. I stress LOCAL since it's all about building immunity to local plants.
Besides........honey tastes good and is cheap. Beats medication.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Frijoles Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:51 am

gringal wrote:When I first moved to the "country" from living in San Francisco (NOB) I was a mess with sinus problems.  A local woman advised taking a spoonful of raw LOCAL honey and after a few months, the problems disappeared.  I stress LOCAL since it's all about building immunity to local plants.  
Besides........honey tastes good and is cheap.  Beats medication.

Is that a teaspoon or tablespoon each day? Thanks.
Frijoles
Frijoles
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:14 am

Frijoles wrote:
gringal wrote:When I first moved to the "country" from living in San Francisco (NOB) I was a mess with sinus problems.  A local woman advised taking a spoonful of raw LOCAL honey and after a few months, the problems disappeared.  I stress LOCAL since it's all about building immunity to local plants.  
Besides........honey tastes good and is cheap.  Beats medication.

Is that a teaspoon or tablespoon each day? Thanks.

If you're getting your honey on your oatmeal as I do, using one of those round wooden doohickies to swirl in the jar, it's hard to say. Probably closer to a tablespoon.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sumofabit Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:04 am

Honey in Mexico is best bought, unless you know the source, with a piece of comb in it. I know a lot of you will be surprised, but it is not uncommon to be offered syrup that is from other sources than bees. Buying from the beekeeper is the best route to go.

sumofabit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Freedomist Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:50 pm

sumofabit wrote:
Freedomist wrote:Raw honey is a ...herpes cure ...

Treatment yes, cure no.
How long would someone have to be symptom-free before it would be a cure? 14 months or longer?

Freedomist

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:43 am

For the remainder of their lives.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:45 am

CanuckBob wrote:For the remainder of their lives.

Bear in mind that the "immunity" only works in the area you live. When we moved from the States to SMA, it took about 3 months to work. Then, when we moved to Lakeside, it took months again for the local honey to do the job. Having all those beautiful vines, trees and general lush plant growth here comes at a price. ka choo!!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:41 pm

What are some local sources for the real deal..with comb included???

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:53 pm

helohfe wrote:What are some local sources for the real deal..with comb included???

Need to mention: The tiangus in San Miguel turned out to have one group who were making fake honey and putting combs in it, so that isn't a guarantee of authenticity. Better to know a beekeeper and buy honey from him or her.

In this case, I know that Deena Hafker, who sells heirloom vegetables and has true blue local honey when available, is at the Tuesday market. Right now she's out of her own and is selling some from a source on the coast. Not what you need for the "immunity factor", but tasty. She can probably tell you where to get the local honey. She's on the row at the far left as you enter, past the tamale ladies and another vendor.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum