INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So you thought a US divorce was expensive...

3 posters

Go down

So you thought a US divorce was expensive... Empty So you thought a US divorce was expensive...

Post by Intercasa Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:50 am

So tis the season for many things and divorce seems to be one of them, especially among foreigners here in Chapala. I've known that there was a requirement for permission or a document from immigration to get divorced and I looked up the current cost and it runs $5,252.90 pesos PER SPOUSE. So with paying someone to do the paperwork for just that certificate / permission it runs $12,000 pesos. Heck, that is just for permission to file for divorce and doesn't include legal fees for the divorce process itself.

Much cheaper in the US, well a good paralegal there can do an uncontested divorce for $500US. Here the legal fees usually run $8,000 to $10,000 and more if one party wants to be a pain and not agree to things, something again not common in the US as at least you can bifurcate the issue of status (separate the part of the process where the parties are free to remarry) and then later settle property, custody and support issues.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

So you thought a US divorce was expensive... Empty Re: So you thought a US divorce was expensive...

Post by islandiver Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:29 pm

A DIY undefended (uncontested) divorce in BC Canada is $3oo cad approx. (Court Costs)

Law Foundation of British Columbia

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

So you thought a US divorce was expensive... Empty Re: So you thought a US divorce was expensive...

Post by Intercasa Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:36 pm

I forgot to add in the US court fees are $300 so it would be $800 total in the US court and paralegal costs although if the parties are of modest means a fee waiver is easy to get.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:45 am

In Nevada, you can do an uncontested divorce, even without the paralegal, if you have any legal aptitude, know how to read, ask a few questions and follow directions. The cost is almost nothing and took 10 days.

I think the residency requirement is still 6 weeks.....a nice long vacation would do it!

Filoli

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down