INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road safety

+9
Explorador
brigitte
Playaboy
hockables
Pedro
CheenaGringo
Axixic
Grizzy
Newfhugger
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Road safety Empty Road safety

Post by Newfhugger Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm not sure where to post this so I'm taking a chance and doing it here. Please excuse me if it belongs somewhere else.

Another woman and I are making a 1 day dash for the border with 2 cars and 5 dogs between us. We'll be out as the sun is coming up and probably arriving as dusk settles if all goes well. My question is this - you hear the reports of hold ups and such on the road. We are sticking to the toll roads, but I'm not without a bit of concern and will be glad when this is over.

Should something happen and someone would attempt to stop us - can anyone give some advise of what to so? Does the other car go ahead and try to call for help? If someone who looks like a cop pulls you over - do you keep going, assuming it is a mugger? Do I keep pepper spray or wasp spray in the front seat and spray anyone that makes me uncomfortable?

Are robberies mostly happening when people stop at gas stations or are they able to stop people who are actually driving?

I am not sure how these robberies are taking place so not sure how to protect myself (and my dog), what to watch for, etc.. I'm assuming everything will go smoothly but having a plan of what to watch for and how to respond seems like a good plan.

Newfhugger

Back to top Go down

Road safety Empty Re: Road safety

Post by Grizzy Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 pm

I have made the drive to and from the border many times without problems. Watch your speed around San Luis Potosi, the cops will pull you over and yhreaten to make you drive to town if you don't pay mordida. If you are pulled over by what appears to be cops I would stop. You can expect a few Federale stops along the way.
I would be alert when filling up with gas close to the border. I have had a few enterprising Pemex attendants try to confuse me and skim money. Watch the pump and don't let them under the hood.
Make sure you have cell phones and assume all will go well.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:01 pm

I second what Grizzy has to say. Actually, WHENEVER you pull into a Pemex - park so you can see the display on the pump and satisfy yourself that they "zeroed" the meter before pumping. They have a tendency to leave the last setting in tact and scam that amount from you. Vigilance is the answer.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Newfhugger:

You don't mention which border crossing you are headed for?

You will probably will find that Jesse and the James Gang are not waiting around each and every corner for you to come along?  Many of us who have driven extensively in Mexico over many years have never had a negative incident but that hardly means that it cannot happen to someone else.  We happen to prefer the Pemex stations in areas with a fair amount of activity and I always get out to stand by the pumps before even saying how much gas we want.  I always ask for an even amount rather than a fill since I can usually judge about how much the vehicle will hold.  Generally speaking, if you are standing right there and looking at the pump, their tricks won't work.

As for taking off to run from someone holding a weapon (no matter who they might look like), bullets travel faster than you can drive and I would suggest leaving those types of actions to the movies!  I doubt you will get much of a thrill writing an "I survived story"?  And I know we wouldn't be inclined to carry pepper or wasp spray.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:15 pm

I forgot to add that I usually have a can of wasp spray behind my seat in my car but have never had to consider using it.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfhugger Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about the Pemex attendants. I'll talk to my travel partner and we'll watch for each other. As I have a 100 pound dog, I can always use her as an excuse - get her out at the pumps and let her stretch while we watch the numbers on the pumps.

Newfhugger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:16 pm

why do you need an excuse? i always get out and watch.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Pedro wrote:why do you need an excuse? i always get out and watch.

Beer  U ride a Bike
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:41 pm

At the Pemexes or Federales stops roll your window down and the dogs as well. A big dog hanging out the car window is a good reason not to mess with you. Iget out of the car as well, and watch. Not down here but once you get within a few hours of the US border.

If you stay on the cuotas you will be fine.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfhugger Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:12 am

Yes, the dog will be a big threat - - she might slobber on someone! :-)

Newfhugger

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 am

Gasoline is cheaper in TX, NM, and AZ than here in Mexico. I would cross the border with your tank near empty.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:04 am

I sure would not run the chance of running out of gas to save a few box.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:09 am

By the way we have learned from experience when we travelled with our dogs 3 mastiffs who do not do that great in heat to always have water kennels and later on learned that a tarp for shade was a good idea. We ran in a piece of metal on a quota. We had to wait for several hours for the insurrance adjuster and the greenangels and it was extremely hot and we had no shade. We did put the kennels out of the car so at least there was air and the dogs were under control as cars were going by vey fast and pretty close. Because we had the ticket for the quota and that the metal had not been picked up the insurrance from CAPUFE paid.
Also a good idea is to get a number your cell phone can call at capufe. We only had the 3 digit numbers posted on the freeway and those do not work on the cell.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Explorador Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 am

If taking the toll roads, do your best to comply with whoever might want to stop you. Bear in mind that frequently one just drives through slowly waiting for a signal as to whether to stop or not. Even if they were to be bad guys, you don't want to mess around trying to "get away". As for being robbed, my defense was to have just a small amount of money in the normal places, and hide the bulk of it. I would hope this would work and cut ones losses.

Yes, always be vigilant at the gas stations. Do check to make sure it is zeroed. Don't let your pets distract you at the pumps - service them separately. Make sure your passenger side door is lock as you guard your car too. Don't get taken by the tire puncture scam.

We chose to drive right through San Luis Potosi rather then deal with the known greedy cops on the bypass. It's not that bad but I did know where I was going - probably faster too if you don't run into traffic.

We traveled last Fall. I was dreading the whole thing too as if you read the US Travel Warnings, there is no safe route out of Mexico. When we got back I wondered what all the big deal was about. We had absolutely no problems. I hope you have the same experience.

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by addtocart Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:15 am

brigitte wrote:
Also a good idea is to get a number your cell phone can call at capufe. We only had the 3 digit numbers posted on the freeway and those do not work on the cell.
Figures. They post a number for you to call if you break down, but it only works on a land line. A land line in your car.
addtocart
addtocart
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 am

addtocart:

Are you forgetting the emergency phones often found every so many kilometers on the cuotas?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:01 am

Yes addcart that is what we found out. We were miles from any town in sugarcane country in the State of Vera Cruz and the heat was very bad so we decided to stay put in the shade of a pineapple salesperson´s tarp
who was further down the road.
We put the kennels and out selves under his tarp and waited. Eventually the Federal police came to harrass the vendor to tell him he couldn´t sell along the freeway and they called the green Angels.
The pineapple guy was going to be picked up later on by a relative so in a way so we were lucky to have company and shade.
.Then we had to wait another couple of hours for the insurrance agent to show up as his car broke down on the way to us and he had to be picked up by the green angels as well....
Since the OP will have a friend around it will not be to tough to get to a landline if the phone does not work.
Some  numbers  for cells are posted here and there but they change  so you need to be alert and write them down when you se them which is not always easy.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfhugger Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 am

This is helpful information. i was not aware that I could not use the 3-digit numbers on cell phones. The full number for help is along the roadside or at toll booths? Is the number the same all along the route from here to Laredo?

I thought about a tarp and bought one that I can toss over two open doors if I need to so the dog will have shade. I'm also taking a big jug of drinking water and a cooling vest for the dog.

Newfhugger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:45 pm

you will see an actual phone to the green hornets for help all along the route,between toll booths. they are signed.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Just called the Angeles Verdes and they told me that o78 works with cell. We had another number then and maybe there was no signal as we were in the middle of nowhere.

I just called 078 it is a service for tourist with English and Spanish Speakers.
They also gave me a 800 number incase the 078 do not function
it is 800 006 88 39 , I just checked from my cell it works and reaches the same number. You can give them your location and they contact the Angeles Verdes.

Be aware that the phone numbers are 24h /7 bu the angels work from 8am to 6 pm only so better not have a blow out after 6pm or afer 5 if you are in the middle of nowhere.

Enjoy your trip.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Guys all these great emergency phones are better than nothing but who wants to walk for miles in 100 degree heat without water or umbrella and discover when they get there that the phone was vandalized and does not work.? Did you think about that. Being stranded by the side in the road with cars flying by abd the heat beating on you makes you smarter in a hurry.
Been there done that and now I plan a whole lot better.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks for testing the system Brigitte, good to hear it works.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Well it worked for me today, tomorrow is another day..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 pm

"Because we had the ticket for the quota and that the metal had not been picked up the insurance from CAPUFE paid."

A very important point made by Brigitte! In order for the "cuota insurance" to cover, you need to have retained your receipt for that particular section.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:33 pm

I have an IAVE account so often get no receipt. Does that mean I'm not covered by that insurance? I doubt it.

Thanks for the phone numbers. I was driving toward Vallarta last week and was having trouble with the brakes just as I was navigating through the barrancas. So that was exciting. I noticed a GA truck up ahead, so I passed it slowly while looking all over it to try to get a full phone number. (I had also heard the three digit # might not work from a cell phone.) All I could see was 078. I've also noticed sometimes the CAPUFE sign on the highway has a phone number on it.

I need to put all the numbers in the glove compartment.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next