INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing Mexico

+5
hound dog
lunateak
macmember
David
kipissippi
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Missing Mexico Empty Missing Mexico

Post by kipissippi Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 pm

We haven't been back since March. The killing of the missionary in the East was tragic, but do you think things have settled down any Lakeside? I'm hoping there will come a point where things will begin to go back to the way they were...or is that even possible?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Missing Mexico Empty Re: Missing Mexico

Post by David Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:42 pm

Nothing ever is like it was. However, it's been pretty quiet here for the last couple of weeks.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Lets hope it stays that way. I keep finding other places to retire..but ARGHHHHHHH....they just don't measure up!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by macmember Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:43 pm

I am wondering what locations you have found.

Thanks
bev

macmember

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 am

We checked out Roatan..but things have gotten rougher there too and living on an Island has it's problems. I love where I'm from...outside of Portland...in the summer....but oh those grey drizzly winters. Argh.

At the top of the list now is an area that would not appeal to most people going to Mexico. The mountains of Idaho. Absolutely beautiful, the place we found had mountains out the back door to take the horses, or snow mobile, or cross country ski and we could walk to a "finger" lake of the Arrowrock Reservoir to swim, fish of go boating..60 miles of shore line. The elk were everywhere and they have an average of 280 days of sunshine a year. Very little rain but lots of inexpensive irrigations so pastures are lush. Boise is 20 minutes away and the treasure valley has all kinds of orchards, vineyards and berry fields.

Land is way less expensive than Mexico. They do get lots of snow, but it's dry so I may be able to deal with it. If you're retired and don't have to drive in bad weather it might work out...as long as we figure out a way to take care of the horses without having to flounder through the snow. It's cheaper to keep them there compared to Mexico. Feed is cheaper and they have good pasture. I'm also a mural artist and just getting into doing metal sculpture gates and firepit domes..fighting bull elk..running horses etc. We're doers and makers and fixers.. I'm not sure if we're ready to sit back and RETIRE retire.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:41 am

Oh! A dry cold! Very Happy
That makes all the difference in the world!

Seriously, though, you may want to take a real hard look at the water issue in that part of the state. Water rights can be very important.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:35 am

Yeah it sure does. The area we're looking at has an irrigation system from a large creek. Each home owner is allowed three days a week of unlimited water usage...that's why the lawns and pastures are all so green. Almost everyone has irrigation pipes for their pastures...the place we're looking at has an underground system that really works slick with no effort.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:27 am

Who owns upstream?
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 am

Where do you live now? BTW, I'm from Beavercreek, OR.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:21 am

It's small ranches. The irrigation water is just for irrigation.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 am

And your drinking water? Well or city water? And if something happens upstream and you no longer have irrigating water is the property still feasible?

Check out some of the water wars in the western US in the last century!

Take a hint from T. Boone Pickens. He's buying up water leases around the world. In his opinion water is the next oil.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:11 am

It's not a little creek and this is all in the mountains. I don't know where the drinking water comes from..better check that out. But it's just a short distance..easy stroll to the Arrowrock reservoir

We bought a gorgeous white Borzoi puppy (Russian Wolfhound) from an old guy in Beavercreek with a beautiful big home....that was never finished and he just lived in it as is.......about..........28 years ago!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 am

beautiful big home....that was never finished and he just lived in it as is.......about..........28 years ago!

Welcome to Idaho!
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:56 am

kipissippi wrote:We haven't been back since March. The killing of the missionary in the East was tragic, but do you think things have settled down any Lakeside? I'm hoping there will come a point where things will begin to go back to the way they were...or is that even possible?

Kip:

Dawg answered your inquiry as to whether things have "...settled down any at Lakeside.", but my post has disappeared. I don´t know whether that is because my post was deleted for some reason or because I failed to properly record the post. I´m going to post again once to see if I can discern the reason my answer to you was not published.

I told you in that post that things have definitely not settled down at Lakeside and I opined as to several other things based on our followoing of local news broadcasts from Guadalajara and the scuttlebutt of local Mexican friends in tha Ajijic community. The post was not, as far as I can ascertain, offensive or improper. Some others may disagree.

I am reposting my comment in part because I get a kick out of your proposing Idaho as an alternative place to retire. I have a childhood friend from Alabama who, after years in the Navy, decided on Coeur d´Alene, Idaho as a place to retire based on his correct take that it is a beautiful area (more or less). The climate, while miserably cold much of the year, is a place with a dry cold but, as he has stated to me, a place with a long and interminable winter with incessant overcast and msny feet of snow covering all that beauty of which he was so fond in the short summers there.

Well, guess what; this winter when I head for Chiapas, he and his wife will be house sitting for us at Lakeside despite the current crime wave because they are fed up with all that miserable winter drear. The same thing is true of our extended family in France where they are all in a state of total depression as a result of the tedious and unbearable, endless winter which they used to try to escape in Tunisia, Egypt and other parts of North Africa but that alternative is on hold.

Don´t do it, Kip. Oregon; never, Mississippi; perhaps as a long shot, Idaho; in your dreams.

Dawg

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 pm

That was in Oregon!

lunateak wrote:beautiful big home....that was never finished and he just lived in it as is.......about..........28 years ago!

Welcome to Idaho!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Ah come on Bama Boy! The reason I chose the area is that they do have snow...but they also have 280 days of sunshine a year. I love the area where I grew up...but I can't take the overcast and drizzle of Western Oregon in the winter...but oh those fabulous summers!

Our place here in Northern Mississippi really is gorgeous, unreal views and rolling hills...but the freaking humidity is a deal breaker.....and so is the bible belt. I have a neighbor who firmly believes that the dinasaurs are a myth...because the bible says god made man first. Pretty hard to argue with a mindset like that.... I'm lonely here. I'm sure there are people here with a brain...they just choose not to use it.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Having moved lakeside from Oregon I'll have to say geologically and culturally Idaho and Oregon have much in common.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm

kipissippi wrote:Our place here in Northern Mississippi really is gorgeous, unreal views and rolling hills...but the freaking humidity is a deal breaker.....and so is the bible belt. I have a neighbor who firmly believes that the dinasaurs are a myth...because the bible says god made man first. Pretty hard to argue with a mindset like that.... I'm lonely here. I'm sure there are people here with a brain...they just choose not to use it.

Now, now, Kip, here in Ajijic I am surrounded by folks who believe that the Huicholes refilled the seemingly dying Lake Chapala by bringing the Virgin of Zapopan down here and performing rain dances on an island on the lake during a ceremony to which foreigners were invited for a fee as long as they remained respectful. Anybody who would believe that would believe a snake talked Eve into eating that forbidden fruit and offering a morsel to Adam and screwing up Adam´s future for all of eternity over eating a frigging apple for God´s sake.

I must say, however, that shortly after the Huichol ceremony in 2002, Tlaloc bestowed copious rains upon the lake and the entire Lerma Basin watershed flooded and the damn lake refilled almost instantly and has never been the miserable example of a perishing sump it had been , since then, and if Tlaloc and the Huichols can do that there is no reason that Jehova can´t make it rain for 40 days and 40 nights and cover every bit or land on the planet except for the pathetic Mount Ararat so I think the Huicholes may have had something going there

Now, Dawg has not spent much time - actually any time - in Mississippi north of the Mississippi State campus where I used to go to watch Bama and The Bear whup they ass (Columbus was it?) back in the 1960s but I have spent a lot of time in Orgun, especially Potelan an´ Eugene and the wine country working as a banker to those freaks and if they are any dumber in Mississippi than they are in that place , I´m surprised they or the Orgunians are able to find Memphis or Seattle without taking a Greyhound.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:10 pm

I think the main difference is that they never question in the bible belt. I was always my mother's "But why? child.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Ya know Kip, I tend to agree that even a dry cold, such as we have at back in Colorado can and probably will become a PITA sooner or later. A happy medium is hard to find.
We live in Colorado's banana belt, and it's still too damn cold for me anymore. Lost my taste for it.
Have you spent any time there during the winter? Spring? I'd want to if it was me.
Mama would have cautioned me about, "Marry in haste..... repent at leisure." Just take care, whatever you do. Surte Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm

We're dealing with the wet cold now. We had 11 inches of snow last week. The sun came out..it was in the 20's but I had no problem working with the horses in it. Sooo much better than wet cold. The horses do fine in cold temps...if they're not wet. Makes such a huge difference.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 am

If I had to go back to the US to live I would consider Apple Valley, CA once again. Probably more likely Lucerne Valley just up the road from there because I still own five acres at the foot of the mountains.

Dry cold and dry hot. 360 days of clear skies a year. Annual rainfall is about 3 inches but it comes all in one day. Despite the dry everything there is plenty of water and a few water bottling outfits right there because it is good drinking water. Lake Arrowhead and Lake Big Bear about 30 minutes up the road.

Not bad horse country. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans built Apple Valley. That's the Happy Trails Highway that passes through it. Added plus is it's about a three-hour drive into Las Vegas from there.
Peter
Peter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic

http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:18 am

Yah Kippy, you are sooo right! The cold and damp suck much worse than cold and dry. That said, for me, the dry cold soon took on an increasing amount of suckiness too.
When the wind blows and the snow "falls" sideways.... yecch! And you know how wind makes a horse crazy. L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:51 am

I don't know if crazy is the right word Lizzy....I think I'd go with goofy!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 am

That works for me. The wind in their ears does it.... the more they run, the more they want to run. L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next