INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

west coast route

+7
slainte39
joyfull
Fig
David
SunFan
CanuckBob
nthensome
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

west coast route Empty west coast route

Post by nthensome Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Have been watching this fine dysfunctional family for a while and have decided I feel drunk enough watching all those glasses fill up that I can join in.
I am on the last year count down to moving my life Lakeside. I plan to abandon most of my "stuff" but have dogs to bring down. Have listened to your advice and will rent for a while. To do it over again would you take the long drive from the BC/PNW area or would you just fly everyone down? If I did drive I could bring some of my electronics and a few other things but would have to get a different car as I don't think my Toyota Prius would adapt too well. If I flew I would trial being w/o a car.
I know you all have been down this road before but I would appreciate your feedback. Long drive alone.

nthensome

Back to top Go down

west coast route Empty Re: west coast route

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Welcome to the asylum...jaja. If you are planning on staying here and can meet the requirements for a temporary or permanent visa then you should sell the car and fly down. Owning a foreign plated vehicle here can cause you problems when you get your permanent visa. If you need a car here simply buy a Mexican plated vehicle.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks Bob, I hope to stay @ your casita on my final house hunting trip! I'm concerned about competing with the winter visitors for a rental. Any advice?

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:09 pm

You might want to consider moving some of your valuables/treasures/keepsakes down. Rates are reasonable and there are two competent movers situated locally.

Welcome!

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:16 pm

nthensome wrote:Thanks Bob, I hope to stay @ your casita on my final house hunting trip! I'm concerned about competing with the winter visitors for a rental. Any advice?

Get a short term rental for 6 months or so and take your time getting a long term one. There are a ton available after March 30 every year. It takes a while to get the lay of the land and figure out which area you really want to be.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:37 pm

SunFan, I would consider my electronics and a couple of pieces of furniture. Would they do that little? And by local you mean Lakeside? They would meet another mover at the border? My daughter will be renting my house here so guess that could happen at any time after I'm settled.

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Are there taxis at the airport that could carry 2 med-lg dog crates or would I have to make special arrangements?

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:23 pm

They've got van taxis, just request one.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:59 pm

The Movers are located here at Lakeside but arrange international moves. Both are reputable and highly competent.

I brought down clothes, some art work, electronics and important kitchen items and small appliances. Relatively compact but high value items.

SunFan

PM for names.
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fig Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:43 am

Sent you a pm

Fig

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 pm

We drove from Seattle with a dog and packed minivan. Four years later became permanent residents and nationalized our vehicle. If you have a vehicle that can be nationalized it may be worth while to drive. Safer for the dogs and easier to get into Mexico with them driving.

Last edited by joyfull on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:05 pm

joyfull wrote:We drove from Seattle with a dog and packed minivan. Four years later became permanent residents and nationalized our vehicle. If you have a vehicle that can be nationalized it may be worth while to drive. Safer for the dogs and easier to get into Mexico with them driving.

God help me....couldn't resist....

You mean it's easier to get into Mexico when the dogs drive.  I knew the border was screwed up, but...... Beer

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:16 pm

slainte39 wrote:
joyfull wrote:We drove from Seattle with a dog and packed minivan. Four years later became permanent residents and nationalized our vehicle. If you have a vehicle that can be nationalized it may be worth while to drive. Safer for the dogs and easier to get into Mexico with them driving.

God help me....couldn't resist....

You mean it's easier to get into Mexico when the dogs drive.  I knew the border was screwed up, but...... Beer
Haha..can I blame that on auto correct?  mariachi  
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 pm

One of my dogs thinks he should drive...Might do better in Mexico than me! Joyful, did you take I-5 all the way to the border? What do you mean "can be naturalized?" I have a 2003 Subaru Baja (sounds Mexican anyway!) with 100k miles on it. Should get me there ?!?

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:35 am

Nationalizing a car means making it a Mexican registered vehicle. Only certain NAFTA built vehicles can be nationalized. It costs approximately $1500 - $3500 USD (taxes and broker fees) to do it depending on the make and year of the vehicle.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24 am

nthensome wrote:One of my dogs thinks he should drive...Might do better in Mexico than me! Joyful, did you take I-5 all the way to the border? What do you mean "can be naturalized?" I have a 2003 Subaru Baja (sounds Mexican anyway!) with 100k miles on it. Should get me there ?!?
I don't believe Subarus can be nationalized here. You would have to take it back to the U.S. to sell. Check the VIN and if it starts with a number it would be okay. If it starts with a J then no. Should you drive and then later get a permanent visa you will have to take the car back across the border to sell. You will be able to keep it here for at least 4 years.
Yes, we took I-5 and crossed at Nogales. If you do decide to drive there will be many of us to offer suggestions on where to stay along the way.
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 am

Some Subarus are "manufactured" in the U.S. and can be nationalized. Mine is a 2003 and has a "Made in Indiana" sticker on a corner of a back window. All numbers in the VIN.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:50 pm

I could keep the car for 4 years but would still have to go to the border every 180 days? If so does it have to be the same crossing I entered? Would a packed pickup bed remain packed or would it be emptied before I got there? Anyone managed this?

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:38 pm

If you come on a tourist visa you would have to leave with the car every 180 days....same without a car. If you get a temporal visa, it can be good for a full year and renewable each year. The renewal can be done locally. If you are coming down before moving I would suggest you talk to Spencer McMillan, a local attorney here. He can give you the scoop on what you need to know. He is on this board as Intercasa. Best to get professional advice as the laws change frequently. If you plan to live here you will want to get a temporal visa before moving here thru a Mexican Consulate. Spence can give you the requirements for obtaining it.
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks all for your advice.

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by NEGringos Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:28 pm

I think I am getting into this thread a bit late, but any input would be helpful!

I am coming down the first week in Nov. to purchase a home. After that my wife and I had planned to drive down with our two cats and two dogs. (we will have shipped everything else down) My question is, about keeping the vehicle, an Escalade, with us. I have read it is better to sell your vehicle NOB and then buy one in MX. To do that I would have to drive back up from Chapala and sell it NOB. Is that correct?

NEGringos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by NEGringos Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 pm

I would also welcome any PM's on local movers that any of you have used to ship your household from NOB.
The good, the bad, no ugly please.

NEGringos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Strom-White is the mover to use IMHO.  Yes, you'll need to go back up to the border to sell your car.  If you get a Resident Temporal visa you'll have 4 years in which to dispose of the car.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by NEGringos Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Thanx David.
During that 4 year period, can I get MX plates or do I have to keep renewing the US ones?

NEGringos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:22 pm

unless you're driving out of mexico,you don't need to renew your us plates for the 4 years of your temporal
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next