INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Restaurant in Chapala.

+15
Mainecoons
CHILLIN
Bartdude
slainte39
hockables
Jerry00
DaveP
RVGRINGO
Flamingo
CanuckBob
Tony_In_Mexico
otrocanuck
Canmex 87
Lady Otter Latté
Itzel_Solis
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chinese Restaurant in Chapala. Empty Chinese Restaurant in Chapala.

Post by Itzel_Solis Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:31 am

I was told there is or was a Chinese restaurant in Chapala, on the main street where you have to go up some stairs. I can't find it.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Itzel_Solis

Back to top Go down

Chinese Restaurant in Chapala. Empty Re: Chinese Restaurant in Chapala.

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:08 pm

There is (or was) a Chinese restaurant between the Coffee Hour cafe and the church (across from the municipal building where the fountain is at the main intersection into town). I don' t think there can be more than a step up from the sidewalk though.
There is a Chinese take-out kiosk in Soriana. Fresh, delicious food very reasonably priced. It is run by a wonderful young Chinese couple.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Canmex 87 Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:32 pm

There was a buffet Chinese restaurant on the west side of Madero (up a stairway) just south of Degollado but I think that it has closed.

Canmex 87
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by otrocanuck Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:54 pm

"There was a buffet Chinese restaurant on the west side of Madero (up a stairway) just south of Degollado but I think that it has closed."

If this one is still open - do not bother going there, was not that good, for 50 pesos you could have the buffet but everything tasted the same, bland. The one near the church is good and a fair price.
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:13 am

otrocanuck wrote:"There was a buffet Chinese restaurant on the west side of Madero (up a stairway) just south of Degollado but I think that it has closed."

If this one is still open - do not bother going there, was not that good, for 50 pesos you could have the buffet but everything tasted the same, bland. The one near the church is good and a fair price.

Wasn't aware the one on the hill had closed. It wasn't great, but it was sufficient to fulfill the craving for Chinese. The one next to Coffee Hour is still open. Just grabbed some take-out there yesterday. You can get a single item take-out meal (your choice of rice or noodles, and one protein) for 38 pesos. Hefty portions to boot, so when I'm feeling a bit flush I'll go. It's not great. Certainly not up to the level of the 3 or 4 places I'd frequent in the states (and I was in Florida, where food goes to die) but again, sufficient to fulfill that craving for Chinese.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Chinese Restaurant in Chapala. Empty Thanks a lot for your answer. I will try the one at Soriana.

Post by Itzel_Solis Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:24 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:There is (or was) a Chinese restaurant between the Coffee Hour cafe and the church (across from the municipal building where the fountain is at the main intersection into town). I don' t think there can be more than a step up from the sidewalk though.
There is a Chinese take-out kiosk in Soriana. Fresh, delicious food very reasonably priced. It is run by a wonderful young Chinese couple.

Itzel_Solis

Back to top Go down

Chinese Restaurant in Chapala. Empty Yes, I would really want to try a Chinese food just for full filling my desire of Chinese Food. Thanks for your comments.

Post by Itzel_Solis Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Tony_In_Mexico wrote:
otrocanuck wrote:"There was a buffet Chinese restaurant on the west side of Madero (up a stairway) just south of Degollado but I think that it has closed."

Wasn't aware the one on the hill had closed.  It wasn't great, but it was sufficient to fulfill the craving for Chinese.  The one next to Coffee Hour is still open.  Just grabbed some take-out there yesterday.  You can get a single item take-out meal (your choice of rice or noodles, and one protein) for 38 pesos.  Hefty portions to boot, so when I'm feeling a bit flush I'll go.  It's not great.  Certainly not up to the level of the 3 or 4 places I'd frequent in the states (and I was in Florida, where food goes to die) but again, sufficient to fulfill that craving for Chinese.

Itzel_Solis

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 am

All this Chinese food talk gave me the munchies so we headed to Min Wah last night. Still the best Chinese in the area IMO and very reasonably priced. The bill for 7 of us including drinks was $1026 pesos.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:53 am

CanuckBob wrote:All this Chinese food talk gave me the munchies so we headed to Min Wah last night. Still the best Chinese in the area IMO and very reasonably priced. The bill for 7 of us including drinks was $1026 pesos.

With tip, that's over 150 pesos per person. That's like 3 times the amount I'd pay for Chinese in the states :P Doesn't sound very reasonable to me. Oh, forgot the drinks. Well, still twice as much then.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:05 am

But, you are not in the States, so there is that.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Tony_In_Mexico wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:All this Chinese food talk gave me the munchies so we headed to Min Wah last night. Still the best Chinese in the area IMO and very reasonably priced. The bill for 7 of us including drinks was $1026 pesos.

With tip, that's over 150 pesos per person.  That's like 3 times the amount I'd pay for Chinese in the states :P   Doesn't sound very reasonable to me.  Oh, forgot the drinks.  Well, still twice as much then.

You were only paying 5 bucks for chinese food and drinks in the states??? We obviously live in completely different worlds. Carry on.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:29 pm

About 20 years ago, there was a take-out place in Denver called "Buck a Scoop" that had pretty awful Chinese food but OK for the occasional really-don't-feel-like-cooking moment. And husband and I could both eat for $5.00, drinks not included. A lot has changed in 20 years. Very Happy
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:41 pm

About 30 years ago there was a Chinese buffet not far from our house with fairly awful food but all-you-can-eat for $3.95. I ate there only once but my then teenage son and his friends would go regularly. One evening he came home crestfallen. They had been kicked out and banned for life.
"He said we eat too much," my son said.
I knew how the guy felt.

Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Sounds like some people need to head NOB for a refresher course on current prices.........jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:07 pm

We recently found a pretty good Chinese restaurant not far from our new home in Tucson. It is unpretentious and the food is good. Here is a link to their PDF Menu for folks who want to compare US prices:
http://dragons-palace.com/uploads/Last_Proof_of_Menu.pdf

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:02 pm

Do you consider Joco in the area? If so there is an excellent Chines restaurant there. Well worth the drive.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:06 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:We recently found a pretty good Chinese restaurant not far from our new home in Tucson.  It is unpretentious and the food is good. Here is a link to their PDF Menu for folks who want to compare US prices:
http://dragons-palace.com/uploads/Last_Proof_of_Menu.pdf

Thanks RV. That is a great comparison. I see each "main course" dish on your menu ranges between $8 - $14 USD. At Min Wah they ranged from $75 to $120 pesos so about 20% to 30% lower. Seems about right to me.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry00 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Yeah but Min Wah chinese restaurant can't compare to most of the chinese restaurants up north. You get what you pay for.

Jerry00
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:04 pm

You also get what is available where you live.
I am, quite frankly, amazed that I can get halfway decent to really good Chinese food in the central highlands of Mexico!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:44 pm

DaveP wrote:

Do you consider Joco in the area? If so there is an excellent Chines restaurant there. Well worth the drive.

AGREED Beer

China Inn Joco also great for take-out...

384-76-3-31-55

never been disappointed Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:49 pm

DaveP wrote:

Is that the one in the same block, same side of the street, with a Farmacia Guadalajara?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Yes, it is.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:But, you are not in the States, so there is that.

For any of us, who don't get too far from home, can anyone compare prices with a restaurant in one of the poorest provinces/towns in China, so we can really suffer.    lol!
If you saw the prices for Chinese restaurants in  Dublin, Ireland, it would make RV's restaurant in Tucson look like a give away.

So it's what you say, Lady O.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Yes, it is.

Are there any other Chinese/Asian type restaurants in Joco?  I know the one upstairs next to the Presidencia, on the plaza, is now closed.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartdude Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:09 am

My wife and I regularly stop at the Chinese restaurant near the Malecon in Chapala for take-out. The four dish plus rice and or noodles is 75 pesos. We re-heat it later and it provides a meal for both of us plus leftovers. That's less than $3.00 each!  The food is only mediocre but we still enjoy it about once a week.
Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Almost nuthin better than a good laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next