INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

neophyte at ATM's

+7
mattoleriver
Mainecoons
Gamina
Flamingo
lunateak
CanuckBob
Vandre
11 posters

Go down

neophyte at ATM's Empty neophyte at ATM's

Post by Vandre Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Even though I've been here 9+ years, I have never used ATM's. Today I tried to use the one at El Torito. It gave me the 4 options for withdrawal amounts, the maximum being 1000. Well, as we know, the max (in pesos), means, essentially, $64.USD.
I came home and called Cap One and they said my max withdrawal is currently $1000.USD/day. Do you all really stand there and do 15 different withdrawals? Is there other ATM's with higher withdrawal limits (pesos)? It's not a speedy process to begin with ........ I can't imagine standing there and doing it 15+ times!! There would be a riot amongst the waiting customers. Insight?

Vandre
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

neophyte at ATM's Empty Re: neophyte at ATM's

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:58 pm

The Scotia ATM lets me take out $13000 pesos at once however the last time I tried that the stack was so thick it jammed up the machine. I now only do $6000 pesos at a time.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Vandre wrote:Even though I've been here 9+ years, I have never used ATM's.  Today I tried to use the one at El Torito.  It gave me the 4 options for withdrawal amounts, the maximum being 1000.  Well, as we know, the max (in pesos), means, essentially, $64.USD.
I came home and called Cap One and they said my max withdrawal is currently $1000.USD/day.  Do you all really stand there and do 15 different withdrawals?  Is there other ATM's with higher withdrawal limits (pesos)?  It's not a speedy process to begin with ........ I can't imagine standing there and doing it 15+ times!! There would be a riot amongst the waiting customers.  Insight?

There has always been an option for "other" at the end of the withdrawal amounts on the ATMs I've used lakeside the last six years.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Couple of suggestions. First the ATM in El Torrito charges one of the highest fees. It pays to shop around. I generally find HSBC has the lowest fees.

Second 'Otro' allows you to take out any amount you want up to the machine and your bank's limit.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:47 am

With Cap One you can make 4 withdrawals a day to a max of $1000US. Use the "otro" or "other" button to accomplish this. No fee with Cap One card.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:14 am

Both the Oxxo machine and the El Torito Machine will allow up to 3000 pesos using the "other" button. You can do up to 4 withdrawals to get 12,000 pesos, fairly close to the $1,000 limit.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandre Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:33 am

Hey, thanks everybody. Didn't notice the "otra" option. 4 passes is certainly better than 15! I was a little put off by the fee I had agreed to pay (which was ultimately waived), so wasn't as alert as I should have been. I received an exchange rate of 14.64 which was about 13 centavos less than the spot price at that exact time (which I investigated after returning home) ........ so that's not bad at all.

Vandre
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:16 am

Vandre wrote:...4 passes is certainly better than 15!
I read somewhere in the last few days that back-to-back-to-back withdrawals may trigger the ATM to grab your card and not return it. I know that an ATM can grab/keep cards but I don't know exactly what it takes to trigger it.

George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandre Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:33 am

Anybody have experience with a machine grabbing your card after multiple withdrawals? I'm too decrepit to be wrestling with an ATM machine !!

Vandre
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:48 pm

the scotia machine does not grab-it can't. your bank sets the limit you can take by what you have requested them to do.so it's you that sets the limit. to take my limit i merely do my card in the atm twice and if i need more i take the other card and do it twice more no problema. the scotia machine "suggests" 3000pesos but i have no problem taking out 5000 each swipe. i use no other machine and have been using it for over 8 years. my understanding is that all the other machines around here are capable of the big grab. scotia machines are all over mexico but there is only one here.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Scotia can grab the card too. If the card is left in the machine it sucks it in. Give it a try.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:05 pm

never happened to me-i don't leave the card in the machine and i won't give it a try just like i won't put my hand on a hot stove. has it grabbed yours. i can't see it doing it because you can only push it in part way and then it does it's thing and tells you to remove the card or ya don't get yer loot. it used to be a swiper and now it's push pull. the grabber machines take yer whole card in don't they?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:08 pm

The Scotia machine lets me take 12,000 pesos at a time.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Pedro wrote:never happened to me-i don't leave the card in the machine and i won't give it a try just like i won't put my hand on a hot stove. has it grabbed yours. i can't see it doing it because you can only push it in part way and then it does it's thing and tells you to remove the card or ya don't get yer loot. it used to be a swiper and now it's push pull. the grabber machines take yer whole card in don't they?

Nope, even those ones have the ability to grab the card. When making a transaction it just lets you push it in so far however if the bank has been alerted or if someone leaves the card in the machine (like just doing a balance check or something) it will suck the card into the machine. Just be aware that it can do this.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 am

mattoleriver wrote:
I read somewhere in the last few days that back-to-back-to-back withdrawals may trigger the ATM to grab your card and not return it. I know that an ATM can grab/keep cards but I don't know exactly what it takes to trigger it.

George

Good reason whether true or not to use a plug in ATM rather than a swipe ATM.  Scociabank at Dominoes in Ajijic is a plug in ATM.  Machine can't take your card if you don't give it your card.  Most machines here are still swipe machines and hold the card inside the machine while transaction is going on.  Plug in never fully goes into ATM so it can't take it
from you unless you leave it as CB pointed out.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:00 am

Gamina wrote:The Scotia machine lets me take 12,000 pesos at a time.

That's your bank (card) not the local Scotia ATM that is allowing it.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:57 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
mattoleriver wrote:

George

Good reason whether true or not to use a plug in ATM rather than a swipe ATM.  Scociabank at Dominoes in Ajijic is a plug in ATM.  Machine can't take your card if you don't give it your card.  Most machines here are still swipe machines and hold the card inside the machine while transaction is going on.  Plug in never fully goes into ATM so it can't take it
from you unless you leave it as CB pointed out.

Z
actually a swipe machine is exactly what is described -you do it externally and the "SCOTIA"bank atm was a swiper before it was push pull. neither of this type swallow your card. most machines here are GRABBERS not SWIPERS.
SCOTIA not SCOCIA. there is no such entity as SCOCIA. the full name is bank of nova scotia which is named after a province in canada called NOVA SCOTIA. you should know this by now since they were your new england neighbours senor zed.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:15 am

In Zed Speak, Scotia is Scocia. Everyone knows that. Well, ALMOST everyone.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:19 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:In Zed Speak, Scotia is Scocia. Everyone knows that. Well, ALMOST everyone.

Well then, where is Skoshia ?.....and their ATM machine?.....that doesn't eat cards?....and if it does, this is how to handle it.. smash comp

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:20 pm

there is one in lerdo. ask rolly. but maybe the first banco de iere might be more to your liking in hichicah.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:27 am

[quote="Pedro"]
Zedinmexico wrote:
mattoleriver wrote:
Z
SCOTIA not SCOCIA. there is no such entity as SCOCIA. the full name is bank of nova scotia which is named after a province in canada called NOVA SCOTIA. you should know this by now since they were your new england neighbours senor zed.

Pedro I dont' care what you fricking think. Would you like us to go back and point out your errors??

I will continue to write Scotia just because it bothers you.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down