INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want advice on round trip to border to renew FM-T.

+6
elbelgicano
RickS
Ezzie
David
Pedro
gpbasap
10 posters

Go down

Want advice on round trip  to border to renew FM-T. Empty Want advice on round trip to border to renew FM-T.

Post by Clueless Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:52 pm

I have a friend who will need to get her FM-T renewed, and from what I read, it ain't goonna happen other than at a order.

She can't afford air fare, so bus is her only option.

She is 64 and has a U.S. visa so no problems there.

So here are my questions.

Is it possible to do a round-trip to the border, walk across and back and immediately get on a bus back? She is alone and doesn't want to stay overnight anyplace.

Are the border crossings open 24/7?

Which is the closest crossing she can go to?

What bus service would be reasonably comfortable (I was told it's a 12-hour trip)?

How can she find the current cost and can she start from Chapala w/o changing busses?

Anything else substantive that can be suggested to help her?

Thanks.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Want advice on round trip  to border to renew FM-T. Empty Re: Want advice on round trip to border to renew FM-T.

Post by gpbasap Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Contact a travel agent.
gpbasap
gpbasap
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Want advice on round trip  to border to renew FM-T. Empty Re: Want advice on round trip to border to renew FM-T.

Post by Clueless Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:35 pm

I have often found the best information comes from those who have been there and done that. Travel agents sometimes give advice/information based on what they want to sell.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:51 am

Check w/ Viajes Ajijic. They have a great rep and have offices in Ajijic and Chapala. I wouldn't be surprised if they can get you a cheap fare to Tijuana on one of the domestic low-fare airlines. There are often specials that are lower than bus fare.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:59 am

we always use mary for all our travel needs at the chapala office across from santander. most recently she got me a flight at a resonable cost to canada. asked her on a friday and flew saturday AND she delivered the ticket to our house.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:01 am

I second the Pedro's recommendation of Mary. Last fall she arranged travel for us to Mexico City. We had sufficient time in advance that she watched for sales and got a very inexpensive fares on InterJet. She provides great service and is bi-lingual.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:52 pm

I also concur that the best way to do this would be to take a flight from the Guadalajara airport to Tijuana and back - same day. I have heard (research needed) that you can get a new FM-T at INM right in the Tijuana airport.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:55 pm

I believe it's an "FMM."
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:32 pm

The 'form' itself is an FMM but what one gets (for the 180 stay) is now called a "Visitante" visa. Some refer to it as a "Tourist Card".

RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Vivaaerobus to Monterrey (very inexpensive, 1 hour flight or so, ticket can be bought at TAP at Walmart)..... take the Vivaaerobus BUS shuttle (very cheap too, buy that ticket from the crew in the plane..... leaves every half hour) from Monterrey airport to the Monterrey bus station, and a bus to the border from there.  Technically, you don't have to cross into the US, just go to the Mex immigration office.  If you leave here very early (8 am from airport), you might be able to get back here the same day, late at night.
And if she really wants to save some money and carries little luggage, she can go to the Guadalajara airport on the 2nd class bus...... about an hour and 26 pesos (but she will have to walk about 20 minutes from the carretera to the terminal).  Coming back, late at night, probably safer to take a taxi from the airport.I have done it several times, no big deal.
All that, probably cheaper and faster than the bus, but just a little more adventurous.
By the way,.....Vivaaerobus might offer the bus ticket to the border (from Monterrey) for free, as included in the airline ticket (this is new : more info on their website) Guadalajara-Monterrey.

Rony
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all kinds

http://chocochef.blogspot.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 am

Alex is leaving tomorrow and he offers to take people up to the border and his prices are cheaper than the bus.

Alex Peterson
333 577 7765(Mx cell)
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 am

Hensley wrote:Alex is leaving tomorrow and he offers to take people up to the border and his prices are cheaper than the bus.

Alex Peterson
333 577 7765(Mx cell)

Which crossing and does he wait and return?

Lady hoping not to have to stay overnight.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:59 am

The TAP kiosk at Walmart in Ajijic has been gone for many months.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 am

go to Oxxo I buy my bus tickets there.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:59 am

Clueless wrote:
Hensley wrote:Alex is leaving tomorrow and he offers to take people up to the border and his prices are cheaper than the bus.

Alex Peterson
333 577 7765(Mx cell)

Which crossing and does he wait and return?

Lady hoping not to have to stay overnight.

He usually stays 1 or 2 days for people to do shopping, but they would have to contact him to find out, I think each trip is different, depends on what people want. He is a 1 man driver, he would need a nights rest.

I assume Laredo since that is where he picks up all our mail.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by El bizco Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 am

I did this several times before getting my Permanente. The last time was May last year. If you are comfortable with a smart phone it's easy to arrange. First, download from iTunes or Playstore the MobilCard app and register your credit or debit card (Mex or foreign) (required to buy an ETN bus ticket on line). Next download the ETN app. ETN is a luxury bus line. Go to the ETN site and purchase your ticket. There are 2 trips daily from the ETN bus station in Tonala to Nuevo Laredo. If you pick 7:30PM your will arrive Nuevo Laredo bus station at 9AM. Cost is about $1300p each way for Seniors, or half price that price with an INAPAM card. When you arrive in NL, go outside and get a taxi. Ask to go to immigration at the border. Cost $50p. At immigration, turn in your old FMM and get a new one. There is usually no line at all. The next bus back to Tonala will be at 3:30PM, so you can either take a taxi back to the NL bus station and wait there (don't walk around NL), or walk the bridge across the river to the US (Laredo, TX) and kill time there. Allow at least an hour to get back to the NL bus station. I used to stay overnight in Laredo at the Marriott and shop. Cost $88US per night with ID showing you are over age 62. Call once you cross the border (your phone will still work) and they will send their shuttle to pick you up. They are also good about giving rides to the mall, etc. No need to rent a car. If you download the Mariott app, you can easily make a reservation. The ETN bus gets back to Tonala about 6AM. There are taxis outside. About $550p to Ajijic.

El bizco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down