INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much more??

+12
suegarn
viajero
barbicheesecake
David
solajijic
gringal
slainte39
Luisa
CanuckBob
Lady Otter Latté
Zedinmexico
JoeInMO
16 posters

Go down

How much more?? Empty Re: How much more??

Post by JoeInMO Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:53 am

I am NOT trying to hijack a thread.  I'm trying to learn.  I am NOT saying your price is high.  I just want to learn from this example.

The OP has two HP 56 black cartridges.  I'm assuming that they are genuine HP.  At Amazon here in the USA I can buy them for $22 USD each delivered (Genuine HP).  Aftermarket are as low as $8.50 USD for two cartridges delivered.

The exchange rate on Google says the OP's price of 893 pesos is $57.90 USD.

So are such things that much more expensive in Mexico?  I'm trying to decide between the Lake Chapala region and the high country of Cost Rica or Panama or Equador.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  I'm just trying to understand the REAL cost of things.  I like a lot of high tech stuff.

Is a 75" 4K TV going to cost me 25% more in Mexico?  If so I can accept that since these are not regular purchases.  I'm just trying to understand what costs more and what is cheaper there.

I am not a troll... just a mostly retired person looking for a place outside the USA to live out the rest of my life with like minded people at a reasonable rate (I could live here easily on my budget but I don't want to).

Again, sorry to hijack the thread.  Hell if it's a problem I'll buy the cartridges and throw them away.  I just need HONEST opinions.

Someone could start a new thread comparing Costa Rica or Panama or Equador to Lake Chapala (hopefully someone who has actually done all of the above).  I can't do that without being attacked as a troll or ignored.

The people mean a lot to me. Many of my posts I've simply been ignored or called a troll. I'll PM you my phone number if you really want to talk to me and be assured of my intentions.

Thanks,
-Joe (yes I'm a REAL person very interested in Lake Chapala).

JoeInMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:00 am

Also...Check the best used by date as many (but not all) expire after a certain time and will not work.

Now Joe remember we have 16% added  (IVA) to all list prices for the tax man. Its in the price not added when you buy.  So subtract 16% before you compare to US prices.  Also Mexico usually has one more person in the middle of your transaction compared to US. No tax on used stuff. So subtract 16% from his/hers cost to compare to US price
to start. Maybe some duty paid for this stuff I don't know but comparing must be fair.

Electronics and small appliances cost much more in Mexico.  Bring down if you can.
Bedding is expensive and can be lower quality as a rule if you like 800 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets for example.

Mexico is cheap for the kind of stuff you mentioned compared to Costa Rica or Equador but still more expensive than US but US is shopping heaven at least for electronics.  I like my toys also and have no shortage here.  I just bring them back when in US but Best Buy and the electronics/computer mall in Guad  has much to see and play with so don't think you can't buy toys.  Mail order is just starting here so future is mail order. As you go back and forth with empty suitcases going north you will fill them and bring stuff back.  You are allowed other than the list to bring in 300 bucks of new stuff by land and 500 bucks of new stuff by air.  If over you pay 16% tax on over 500 bucks worth of stuff on plane. Mexico customs tends to be nice and tolerant of us gringoes at least that is my experience but I pay my duties when due. Xmas in mexico is when you bring back all your new stuff in suitcases!

Z

Last edited by Zedinmexico on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

How much more?? Empty How much more??

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:08 am

Joe, you have now started a whole misplaced discussion in the For Sale forum. In the future, please begin a new thread in the proper forum. This discussion belongs in Tech Talk or Moving To Mexico. Not only would it garner more responses for you, it would be more helpful to others who will not be searching the For Sale forum looking for a discussion about costs of tech items or relative costs of living in Mexico vs. somewhere else.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:43 am

I gave this it's own thread.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 am

Joe, in my experience, the US has very cheap shopping--but very expensive services.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:00 am

Luisa wrote:Joe, in my experience, the US has very cheap shopping--but very expensive services.  

Shopping.......
Food grown and processed in Mexico is usually much cheaper than imported.  Occasionally subsidized imported food, such as corn, corn products, pork, etc., that avoid high tariffs,  can be cheaper, but as a rule, domestic is the way to go.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:04 am

The question is:
Why would a person seeking a retirement haven base his ultimate choice on the cost of goodies ? scratch

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:18 am

that is a good question Gringal.

If you are from the midwest or progressive south this is still overall a lateral cost move and you won't see much reduction or increase in your daily expenses. If east coast you will see a savings and if west cost even more savings.

There will be Amazon Mexico within a year or two -as soon as they get the new distribution center built near Mexico City. I use a mail service run by Estefeta out of Houston for free for some catalog and store items. I use Ebay 360 program for Ebay items and they are delivered by Estefeta too. Both work well with a few glitches here and there.

When I go to sell something here my husband always wants me to add a little onto it because "it's here and they don't have to go get it" but that really doesn't work anymore.

I can find just about anything I want in the metro area..except of course the things I ship in. Very Happy

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Progressive South? You must be joking!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:59 pm

You are thinking political I was thinking simply reasonably economically developed...not the backwaters.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by barbicheesecake Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Joe, as a general rule most everything here in Mexico is less expensive than in the States. I used the amount paid in the States and converted to the current exchange rate. I will say this. You can not purchase these cartridges in Mexico, however, some people still use HP PCs here. I found it easier to just purchase a new printer that cartridges are readily available and most are refillable. For this reason you probably would not want an HP PC down here. I could not find an expiration date. Sorry. Hope that clarifies my position. P.S. Hubby & I have been here six years and love it!
barbicheesecake
barbicheesecake
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I shoulda been a comedian

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:23 pm

barbicheesecake wrote:Joe, as a general rule most everything here in Mexico is less expensive than in the States. I used the amount paid in the States and converted to the current exchange rate. I will say this. You can not purchase these cartridges in Mexico, however, some people still use HP PCs here. I found it easier to just purchase a new printer that cartridges are readily available and most are refillable. For this reason you probably would not want an HP PC down here. I could not find an expiration date. Sorry. Hope that clarifies my position. P.S. Hubby & I have been here six years and love it!

You can get a fine Epson home printer at a reasonable cost as close as Walmart, where they have the cartridges for it as well.

I, too, like living here, warts and all.  IMO, the most important reason to move somewhere has little to do with the availability of consumer products and everything to do with the climate and a few other non-tangible factors.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeInMO Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:07 pm

gringal wrote:The question is:
Why would a person seeking a retirement haven base his ultimate choice on the cost of goodies ? scratch

I wrote out a long reply that seems to have disappeared so I'll try again.

I don't think I said that my "ultimate choice" was based on such things or anywhere close to that.  I simply wanted to know if such premium prices on electronic items is normal there.  When or if I do move there I don't intend to bring a lot with me.  The cost of moving many items costs more than to simply replace them there.  If it's difficult to get printer supplies I can use that knowledge along with other like items.

I don't know where I'm going to move yet.  I have a lot of learning to do.  Right now International Living is pushing Costa Rica and Panama like there heaven rather than a haven.  Do I trust them or any other magazine article?  No, I prefer to hear the good and bad from the people that are actually there.  Does that make me a troll or the various other terms used to describe me?  If so them I'm guilty as charged.

I won't go into my background too much, but I'm at the end of my career (I'm actually retired, but still under contract) and let's just say that a lot of people in my past have promised to pay me a visit when they exit their current living conditions.  Am I running from them?  No, but my one reason for staying were I am will not last much longer.  I want a place with a great climate, interesting people, modern services (cable TV, internet, cellular, etc.), and good food.  Exercise is a big part of my life.  I swim a mile or so 4 days per week, ride my bicycle 100 miles or so per week and roller skate 2 - 3 days per week.  So I need a place to accommodate my activities.  I can't run, rock climb, or even walk long distances, but I can do the above.  I'm pretty sure I could find a swimming pool down there suitable for swimming laps.  I'm not a mountain biker but I bet there's enough fairly level places to ride my bike there without risking life and limb to crazy drivers.  I've also been in contact with a person that owns two roller rinks in Guad and from the pics he sent me they look pretty nice.  So things look good from a distance.  

Unfortunately I have to do a lot of my research via the Internet because I'm still "on-call" 24/7/365 for a period of time.  So that complicates things and I have to rely on what I read from real people in the places I'm interested in.  Not count on some polished up magazine article.

I have spent quite a bit of time in Mexico in the past, but not much in recent years.  I know how the system works... or in many cases doesn't work.  I know if you're in a rush for something you'll probably be disappointed.  But barring the border towns and drug cartel territories I found the people in Mexico to be better than most.  I know the government is corrupt and is subject to whichever the way the wind blows depending on who is in power.  I also know the drug cartels are a major threat.  I don't know enough about the Lakeside area to know how much of a threat this is, but my feeling from what I read is that it's getting closer and closer.  I could be absolutely wrong, and hope that I am.  I'm sure some or many of you have the same worries.  I'm certainly not going to find such information in a magazine article.  I don't even trust the media... I've had many encounters with the media here in the USA and nearly every time I opened my mouth to a reporter they manage to twist it and make it sound exactly opposite of what I intended to express.  So I need to hear from real people.

Enough for now... thanks for listening.

-Joe

JoeInMO

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:10 pm

JoeInMO wrote:

I won't go into my background too much, but I'm at the end of my career (I'm actually retired, but still under contract) and let's just say that a lot of people in my past have promised to pay me a visit when they exit their current living conditions.  Am I running from them?  No, but my one reason for staying were I am will not last much longer.
Won't "The Company" protect you?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:28 pm

After reading all of his posts, I think I've figured out who 'JoeinMo' is........it's John McAfee, the creator of McAfee anti-virus software. He is still wanted for questioning as a 'person of interest' in Belize related to his neighbour's murder! razberry

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeInMO Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:43 pm

viajero wrote:
Won't "The Company" protect you?

Pretty much the opposite, but in all reality I'm not looking for or counting on anyone to protect me but myself.

JoeInMO

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Joe, you will have a heck of a lot more credibility and get better answers around here if you just ask the simple question and leave out all that "personal" stuff. The personal stuff sets off the BS sensors and ends up with comments like above.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:16 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Joe, you will have a heck of a lot more credibility and get better answers around here if you just ask the simple question and leave out all that "personal" stuff. The personal stuff sets off the BS sensors and ends up with comments like above.
Yep.
I had to have my BS meter recalibrated after he pegged it with his CIA " The Company" post...

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerlyn Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:27 pm

You could always go to the NWT ~ nobody will be looking for you when it's minus 40C, tho some places are already a little crowded with exiles :)

Seriously, if you want to know the cost of electronics in each of those places, look em up. Best buy/ Walmart are online, may not be the best local price, but will certainly provide a guideline

Jerlyn

Humor : Sometimes I get it ... sometimes :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:57 pm

We need a popcorn emoticon.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:43 am

No do not listen to International living! Its about making money Joe. You can find the truth about Panama and Costa Rica all over the place. Yes nice places but airports, climate, food I think is better lakeside.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:21 am

We have met our quota of Mississippi murderers on the lam.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:27 am

Luisa wrote:We have met our quota of Mississippi murderers on the lam.

Funniest post ever. cheers
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 pm

If you want to compare prices on some stuff you could look it up on MercadoLibre (Mexico's Ebay) . Cartuchos Epson, HP Etc...

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum