INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HAPPINESS IS....

+10
mattoleriver
Semalu
motherofburros
Rosa Venus
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
David
RickS
hockables
gringal
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HAPPINESS IS.... Empty HAPPINESS IS....

Post by gringal Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 am

Today's Yahoo news included this little nugget...a survey conducted over 145 countries. Five points of "well being" were the factors. Many surprises, such as the winner was......Panama. Going on down the list, Mexico was #10 (not bad), whereas the U.S. came in at #23 and Canada at #24.
Not surprisingly, Afghanistan came in at #145. So there you go.

Anybody on here also surprised? Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

HAPPINESS IS.... Empty Re: HAPPINESS IS....

Post by hockables Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:00 am

gringal wrote:Today's Yahoo news included this little nugget...a survey conducted over 145 countries. Five points of "well being" were the factors. Many surprises, such as the winner was......Panama.  Going on down the list, Mexico was #10 (not bad), whereas the U.S. came in at #23 and Canada at #24.
Not surprisingly, Afghanistan came in at #145.  So there you go.  

Anybody on here also surprised?   Shocked

I'm surprised.... I didn't think anyone used Yahoo anymore.... Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:44 am

hockables wrote:
gringal wrote:Today's Yahoo news included this little nugget...a survey conducted over 145 countries. Five points of "well being" were the factors. Many surprises, such as the winner was......Panama.  Going on down the list, Mexico was #10 (not bad), whereas the U.S. came in at #23 and Canada at #24.
Not surprisingly, Afghanistan came in at #145.  So there you go.  

Anybody on here also surprised?   Shocked

I'm surprised.... I didn't think anyone used Yahoo anymore....  Beer

Cute?
Well, Hocks, now you know one clueless person whose screen pops up initially with Yahoo news. Suspect

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm surprised.... I didn't think anyone used Yahoo anymore....

Some Yahoos still must.... razberry
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:18 pm

RickS wrote:
I'm surprised.... I didn't think anyone used Yahoo anymore....

Some Yahoos still must....  razberry

Okay, okay, guys: Would one of you two smartypantses enlighten me as to the preferred alternative? My computer is configured to use Firefox, which pops up the Yahoo home page and from there I can mouse over to any number of other news services. So, what are you doing?
Love,
a "Yahoo"

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:20 pm

I use Yahoo Finance every day.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Gringal, I figure people have to be scraping the bottom of the ego boosting barrel in order to feel superior because they do not use Yahoo.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:12 pm

David wrote:I use Yahoo Finance every day.

This thread is about Yahoo Happiness, or is that an oxymoron. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Gringal, I figure people have to be scraping the bottom of the ego boosting barrel in order to feel superior because they do not use Yahoo.
They are existing in a very restricted, self imposed world.  It's like those who feel superior because they won't shop at a big box store, no matter what.
Rolling Eyes

Now, about the "happiness" report, which has nothing to do with Yahoo, whether you love it or hate it or think you're special because you ignore it:

Here's the source:

The World Happiness Report is a landmark survey of the state of global happiness. The first report was published in 2012, the second in 2013, and the third on April 23, 2015. Leading experts across fields – economics, psychology, survey analysis, national statistics, health, public policy and more – describe how measurements of well-being can be used effectively to assess the progress of nations. The reports review the state of happiness in the world today and show how the new science of happiness explains personal and national variations in happiness. They reflect a new worldwide demand for more attention to happiness as a criteria for government policy.

The report is published by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).  It is edited by Professor John F. Helliwell, of the University of British Columbia and the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research; Lord Richard Layard, Director of the Well-Being Programme at LSE’s Centre for Economic Performance; and Professor Jeffrey D. Sachs, Director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University, Director of the SDSN, and Special Advisor to UN Secretary General Ban ki-Moon.

For more information, please email happiness@unsdsn.org.

For media inquiries, please contact Kyu Lee: klee@ei.columbia.edu.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:04 pm

gringal wrote:
Here's the source:

The World Happiness Report is a landmark survey of the state of global happiness. The first report was published in 2012, the second in 2013, and the third on April 23, 2015. Leading experts across fields – economics, psychology, survey analysis, national statistics, health, public policy and more – describe how measurements of well-being can be used effectively to assess the progress of nations. The reports review the state of happiness in the world today and show how the new science of happiness explains personal and national variations in happiness. They reflect a new worldwide demand for more attention to happiness as a criteria for government policy.

Every single sentence in that paragraph has something in it that makes me laugh. That's pretty unusual. And it makes me happy. cheers
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofburros Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Hmmm. The world happiness report published in April listed Canada as 5th out of 150 countries. Most countries who surpassed Canada were Scandinavian. Don't know what report you are referring to as the Yahoo group...

motherofburros

Back to top Go down

Post by Semalu Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Hmm, my first post just went AWOL??
Anyway, lets try again

Gringal In my first post I was asking if you could copy the link to the actual Yahoo article from your address bar so we can follow it from there. I tried the happiness@unsdsn.org link but Firefox did some gleeful little Irish jig to it.

BTW: Only bored yahoos bitch about Yahoo. If you like your home page, you don't need to change it...hmm does that make them Yahoo's bitches?

Gosh I must be happy to be home! flag waver

Semalu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:12 am

Here is the report, not the Yahoo! story.
http://worldhappiness.report/
More than you ever wanted to know!
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:40 am

The reason technical people rag on folks who use Yahoo is because we know how bad the product is and how bad the support is. It has nothing to do with people other than the choice they made. Yes Yahoo has Yahoo groups and such but not much more to offer. In the modern world Yahoo is like running a DOS machine. No one really cares what you do with Yahoo except your support person who get very tired of dealing with Yahoo, Hotmail, or any of the other marginal supported free email services. Yes I know Chapala Gals won't work without Yahoo but using Yahoo for your mail and such is taking some chances in my opinion. Yahoo is like AOL still alive in some kind of form but not what it use to be.

Rag away

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:20 am

motherofburros wrote:Hmmm. The world happiness report published in April listed Canada as 5th out of 150 countries. Most countries who surpassed Canada were Scandinavian. Don't know what report you are referring to as the Yahoo group...

I'll try again (sigh). The report was available on the Yahoo News home page, but had nothing to do with Yahoo. You can
"search" for it using any search engine. DOH! Rolling Eyes
BTW, I use Gmail.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:26 am

Zedinmexico wrote:The reason technical people rag on folks who use Yahoo is because we know how bad the product is and how bad the support is.  It has nothing to do with people other than the choice they made.  Yes Yahoo has Yahoo groups and such but not much more to offer. In the modern world Yahoo is like running a DOS machine.  No one really cares what you do with Yahoo except your support person who get very tired of dealing with Yahoo, Hotmail, or any of the other marginal supported free email services. Yes I know Chapala Gals won't work without Yahoo but using Yahoo for your mail and such is taking some chances in my opinion.  Yahoo is like AOL still alive in some kind of form but not what it use to be.

Rag away

Z

Yahoo mail truly sucks.  No doubt about it.  Support is ridiculous.  Three of the "organizations" I belong to require that you join a Yahoo Group to access their pages, so no choices there.
For most purposes, I use Gmail, but it's not so great, either.  End of tale.

One cautionary note:  people who get their mail hacked seem to be the ones inclined to include their entire mailing list when they share their jokes and other tidbits.  Makes life easy for the hackers.

A question for you, Zed: Which email service do you recommend?

Now, how about wandering away from the Yahoo critiques and over to the original topic: World 'happiness' ranking and why some of the prosperous countries such as the U.S., rate below Mexico? And why places with a truly harsh climate, like those in Scandinavia, seem to have a more content population?
Or should I just give up on the topic? Probably. Twisted Evil

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:42 am

if Gringal had posted about issues she was having with her Yahoo, she would be inviting comments and critism of the platform she is using. But she did not. She posted about an article she read and where she read it. No problems. No issues. No need to trash her choice.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:52 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:if Gringal had posted about issues she was having with her Yahoo, she would be inviting comments and critism of the platform she is using. But she did not. She posted about an article she read and where she read it. No problems. No issues. No need to trash her choice.

Thanks for that, but I've noticed that it's more fun for some posters to trash any old thing than to make comments on the subject itself.  My attitude towards that is "have fun, kiddies".Rolling Eyes   Maybe some grownups will weigh in. Suspect

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 am

gringal wrote:

BTW, I use Gmail.

Well, I'm easy.........
That makes me happy.    Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Obviously, anything to do with Yahoo, makes a lot of people unhappy.  scratch

Maybe you should do like all the high paid television commentators do......"anonymous source".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:18 am

slainte39 wrote:
gringal wrote:

BTW, I use Gmail.

Well, I'm easy.........
That makes me happy.    Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Obviously, anything to do with Yahoo, makes a lot of people unhappy.  scratch

Maybe you should do like all the high paid television commentators do......"anonymous source".

That "Anony Mouse" sure knows a spitload of STUFF! Some of it may even be true.
Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Ahem......  I Wuz Kidding  ......    Beer

I read the article... some of it anyways.... wadda load of crap...
How many happy people did they survey in Guadamala?
If they are so happy there, why are they shipping their children out of their homeland?

I often wonder who writes some of the internet bullshit that everyone , including media outlets, repeat as fact....

harping about Yahoo just seemed like more fun.....carry on .... Beer

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Most of these "happy countries" seem to have social things in common, mainly a cradle to grave support system. The cost - high taxes across the board. I saw where the Norwegian gov't. sends welfare recipients off to the Azores for winter vacations. A single welfare parent would have to love that. It would render them sane/ish. Back on track, maybe.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Mexico must be the exception then as the support system here is mainly private, funded by families.  The public or government support system isn't even at a minimum subsistence level.  There is some public help but it's pretty anemic.
Maybe Mexicans are happy because the US is so close where people are not as happy, according to the report.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:18 am

slainte39 wrote:Mexico must be the exception then as the support system here is mainly private, funded by families.  The public or government support system isn't even at a minimum subsistence level.  There is some public help but it's pretty anemic.
Maybe Mexicans are happy because the US is so close where people are not as happy, according to the report.

That's a good one.  Like saying "I don't feel so bad about my broken ankle, looking at the guy next to me in a wheelchair."
Rolling Eyes

Even though Mexico's health plans aren't perfect, at least everyone can be covered.  Little bitty safety net, but better than nothing.
I know that not everyone is on board with the "Obamacare" plan, but I think it's a good start on the "happiness" improvement front.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:31 am

gringal wrote:
I know that not everyone is on board with the "Obamacare" plan, but I think it's a good start on the "happiness" improvement front.

Most definitely!!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next