INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what should I bring from NOB

+2
viajero
gringal
6 posters

Go down

what should I bring from NOB Empty what should I bring from NOB

Post by nthensome Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:54 pm

I am moving down this fall and am wondering what I should bring for electronics. Does anyone know if I will still be able to download free books, from my library up here, on my Kindle? If getting HBO here and my renters continue to pay for it can I still get HBO GO? Netflix? My Cricket phone allows international with Mexico for $10 extra...any thoughts? TIA!

nthensome

Back to top Go down

what should I bring from NOB Empty Re: what should I bring from NOB

Post by gringal Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:59 pm

nthensome wrote:I am moving down this fall and am wondering what I should bring for electronics. Does anyone know if I will still be able to download free books, from my library up here, on my Kindle? If getting HBO here and my renters continue to pay for it can I still get HBO GO? Netflix? My Cricket phone allows international with Mexico for $10 extra...any thoughts? TIA!

I've heard (unreliably) that you can get kindle books if you have a library card up there. I don't have this and am ordering mine from Amazon with no problems.
You can get Mexican Netflix; no problem. However, if you want the U.S. version, you'll need to get a VPN. "HideMyAss.com" is reliable.
Somebody else may have the other answers.
Welcome to Mexico!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:27 pm

I download books on my Kindles from library accounts my kids set up for me in California all the time,I have free access to hundreds of thousands of books..It's GREAT!

Last edited by viajero on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks, that's good to know. I was concerned it would determine a Mexican wifi and not send. Have to have my books without having to store them in boxes!

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:40 pm

nthensome wrote:Thanks, that's good to know. I was concerned it would determine a Mexican wifi and not send. Have to have my books without having to store them in boxes!

...that's why they call it "HideMyAss". You'll come up with a U.S. number.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:35 am

Small electronics. No good stereos sold here just big boom boxes that sound terrible unless you like thump thump thump. Electronics are expensive here. Things like Magic Jack/ Net Talk/ VOIP phones bring down. Bring down a set of four Panasonic wireless phones which you can't even buy here. Bring down a box of screws bolts wire etc etc etc as all this is very expensive down here. My ten pound box of misc hardware like screws and stuff has saved my butt many times. Electricity sucks here sometimes so bring down voltage regulators for 120V and Big (over 500 joules rating) good quality surge protectors. We lose phases of electricity which never happens up north. Also bring down a volt meter so you can check the electricity as just last week we had a 10 hour bout with two phases dead and the third phase running from 80 V to 120 V. Not good for electronics.

Good Luck

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:47 am

Hand tools, bed and bath linens, cookware, dishes, glassware, and an open mind!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:13 am

Yea David an open mind is the most important!!! It really helps folks especially when you start to drive down around here. First time someone pulls in six inches from your bumper. One at first gets upset than after a while one thinks "well he/she didn't hit me". It really does work this way. First time you go try to push paper with the Mexican government paper pushers you will fail. Maybe fail a second time because you have a color copy of your US passport or something equally meaningless to us. After a couple of years of experience when trying to change address with immigration one say wow that was fast only had to spend seven hours time to change my address not bad laugh out loud. It all starts with open mind.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:23 am

Sometimes when dealing with the bureaucracy you just have to think, "not today."
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks, that's just the info I was hoping for. Do most folks have a house phone and a cell? I have just a cell here. Sounds like I should bring my copier and several ink cartridges as well.
When I went into the Mexican Consulate here in Portland it was SRO. People waiting, and I wondered how many would have to come back the next day..and maybe again. At least I won't have to plan my return trips around when I work!!!
I am bringing down a car that already has wounds because I have seen the near misses and wiped out side mirrors. In 4 years I will get a small car..

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:19 pm

jaja....I would never own a new, nice vehicle down here. I have pushed many cars that parked 6 inches from me and my passenger mirror has been missing for years. You need a land line if you plan on getting internet through telmex otherwise a cell phone is just fine.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Zed, is a voltage regulator different from a surge protector?

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Yes.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:33 am

A Surge protector is a device that burns up parts when a surge of electricity happens.  A Voltage regulator adjusts the voltage up and down to compensate.  A UPS supplies battery power to keep up devices like an alarm system in a power fail or brownout.  Usually surge protector in Voltage regulator or UPS while it exists is much too small.  Do not buy a surge protector with a joule rating less than 500. I buy 4000.  Surge protector plugs into wall.  Voltage regulator goes next into surge protector and if needed a UPS (uniteruptable power supply... Batteries that create AC current like in wall plug) that should be last.  So David answer is correct. Remember on fine electronics the manufacturer expects you to supply good power. Mexican power not so good sometimes. They won't respect the warranty if you let Mexican power surges burn up your electronics. A surge protector has MOV (metal oxide varister) in them that blow up to save your electronics. Always buy a surge protector with a good ground light on it to make sure your three prong socket in wall really has ground wired up and make sure it has a light to indicate MOV have blown up. Problem with surge protectors without status lights is you don't know if the MOV are in good condition as unit will still work as power strip even when MOVs are burned up. You also can replace MOVs when they burn up so you don't have to throw them away when used they can be rebuilt with new MOVs. Now the question do I need all this crap???? Mexican fridges can take all kinds of crap voltage wise. They even shut down when the voltage goes too low which is very common so I don't worry about Mexican made fridge or washer type appliances. My stereo, computers, modems, VOIP modules, and alarm camera system all need various type of protection. Alarm system I use UPS as I want it to stay up if someone cuts my power. Other electronics I use S.P. and appropriate voltage regulators. I have never lost any electronics here using the appropriate equipment.

Good Luck

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Are dishes and glassware expensive or in short supply/expensive David?

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Yes if you want things like you had NOB, no if you want simple Mexican items.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down