INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie needs to furnish unfurnished casa Where to shop?

+11
rstephenb
Hensley
Flamingo
CanuckBob
RVGRINGO
Carry Bean
gringal
TioBob
Trailrunner
David
SuzieQ1954
15 posters

Go down

Newbie needs to furnish unfurnished casa  Where to shop? Empty Newbie needs to furnish unfurnished casa Where to shop?

Post by SuzieQ1954 Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:15 pm

We are soon to sign our lease on an unfurnished house. Where do you suggest we look for furniture? We are in no hurry and plan to be selective, but we do need to get a few necessary items to even "camp out." Oh yes, we are not "monied" people.

SuzieQ1954

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs to furnish unfurnished casa  Where to shop? Empty Re: Newbie needs to furnish unfurnished casa Where to shop?

Post by David Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Babara's Bazaar in Ajijic, and other resale shops in the area. Lots of places in Guadalajara; Plascencia, Sears.....
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs to furnish unfurnished casa  Where to shop? Empty Re: Newbie needs to furnish unfurnished casa Where to shop?

Post by Carry Bean Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:19 pm

The Bazars are a good place to start. My favorite is Upscale Resale on the eastern side of Riberas on the Carretera just east of Mascaras Clinic. There are others.

Haunt the garage sales. LOTS of good stuff to find at most of those. If you're on Facebook, sign up to Beg, Barter, Buy & Sell - Chapala where you can also put in requests.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:22 pm

One other thing. Reupholstery here is relatively cheap (much cheaper than north of the border) so if you find some furniture that has good bones at a cheap price it's sometimes worth it to slipcover or reupholster.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Excellent advice, all.
What is your style? Do you want Mexican with rustica and equipale? NOB type furnishings? Mexican Modern?If you buy at Barbara's Bazaar, and they have lots of stuff, be sure and bargain. I think they are expensive. Travel around to pueblos on the south shore and up in the hills and pick things up. Poco poco.
Have fun.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TioBob Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Good luck in your new adventures. The good life has begun. You are in a grand place to nurture your hearts. Welcome.
TioBob
TioBob

Humor : Leg pulling

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Barbara's Bazaar on 16 de Septiembre has absolutely everything and an extra warehouse, but as has been suggested: BARGAIN.
Also, check the garage sales advertised on here. Some good deals.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:32 am

I think Barbara's is the priciest around. There are a couple of other resale shops across from the 7-11 in Riberas. Also some in Chapala.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:02 am

Any carpenter will build bed platforms for you and Muebles San Francisco in Chapala, at the main intersection, will deliver mattresses.
That, and a white plastic patio set from Walmart will get you started, and you can relax and explore for everything else, as suggested above.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzieQ1954 Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks for all the great advice and well wishes. We both lean toward contemporary, but comfort is a must. We will bring blowup mattresses, but I had in mind that a good bed would need to be a near first purchase. Also, one other move overseas had only beds and an outdoor table/chair set to start. It did allow us some time to search. I'm pretty familiar with the area and have an excellent (and honest) driver.

We wish to pursue a simple, casual lifestyle in Lakeside, so comfort and simplicity is more important to us than style. We will probably be eclectic. I want maybe the carved wood bedroom furniture, and my daughter is looking at something more like I had in the States, which is a Diva kinda luxury look for hers. Our new home has lots of arches with shelves that will be a challenge to our desire for an uncluttered home.

I have sold all my silver, chrystal and china. So we will be outfitting everything mostly. Intend to take our time and get just what we want. We are not coming to Lakeside to impress. That is way too exhausting and not productive anyway.

Again, thanks to you all. Keep the ideas coming, 'cause I need all the ideas I can get!

SuzieQ1954

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:52 pm

For a selection of name brand beds visit Dormimundo across from Walmart. Excellent quality, good prices, and superb service.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:39 pm

For sure. I bought my last king bed there with the proper box spring set-up. All high quality name brand stuff (Serta, etc.) I have no use at all for the wooden slat beds.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:14 pm

I prefer Tepehua Treasures, also on the eastern side of Riberas on the Carretera just past the Animal Shelter store. They have great stuff and the best prices around. It's small but they have a high turnover and will let you know if they get something you might want.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Yard Sales and Bazaars, I have them all the time, if you would like to be on my mailing list, send me your e-mail in a message. We have a bunch of furniture and whole house items coming up in Feb. & March sales. Good Luck
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rstephenb Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:39 am

The LCS is opening a new resale shop west of Ajijic in early September. It's a very exciting new project for them and sill support their myriad of program and services for the expat community. Announcements coming out later this month!
rstephenb
rstephenb

Humor : Spot-on, Topical, Witty,Sophisticated

http://www.newnationstheexpatexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs to furnish unfurnished casa  Where to shop? Empty New furniture shop in Ajijic West near la Huerta

Post by Andreana Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:38 am

The prices are really good compare to used stuff in Barbaras Bazar. I never would by a used mattres for instance. I bought a recliner in suede for 4500 pesos and of course a mattress.

Andreana

Humor : dry

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:21 am

Nothing against Barbara's Bazaar, which has a vast selection of "stuff", but they are the highest priced game in town.
The charity thrift stores across from the 7-eleven are better priced.
Looking forward to LCS's version, but I'm wondering if that isn't sort of a far stretch for them? Big project.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Ocotlan is the furniture capital of Jalisco. at least 12 manufactures with retail showrooms. it's worth the 2 hour drive from Ajijic
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:42 pm

You can find a whole lot better bargains than at Barbara´s Bazaar, acually if you shop in Guadalajra , often you wull be able to buy the same stuff but new at a better price. Their prices are ridiculous most of the times. Once in a while yu can get something at a decent price but shop around and bargain for used stuff.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:07 pm

By the way there is a furniture show called expo mueble from Aug 17 till 20. It is a trade show but some decorators or anyone afiliated with th business can take you in..Some people charge 10% for that service and you can buy at wholesale plus 10%
Tonala has rustic furniture from ver inexpensiv to vry nice and more expensive
Ocotlan has modern furnitture.. in the show rooms along the road up to the enry to the Mexico freeway entrance.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by holdrja Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:41 am

We just furnished a 2 bedroom house in 3 months, going to the bazaars/resale shops, Julie & Wayne's sales, and following the FB site mentioned previously.

Also I would recommend the used/antique furniture shop (George's?) in Ajijic, just down the street from LLoyds (west side of the street, towards the lake).

Oh and I've gotten several good pieces over the years at the Chapala consignment shop on Morelos, #142

New furniture -- especially the eclectic stuff! - check out that tent of furniture on the mountain side of the carretera by Tobolandia (just west of the libramiento). And there are several quirky/interesting new furniture shops on both sides of the carretera, east of La Floresta thru Riberas.
holdrja
holdrja
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rdplakechapala.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Do you mean Alfredo's?

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:14 pm

This thread is from Jan. I wonder if they found everything they needed.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down