INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 7 Updates

3 posters

Go down

Windows 7 Updates Empty Windows 7 Updates

Post by tbh1 Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:39 am

Has anyone else been having trouble getting MS Update to download and install updates for Windows 7?    I keep getting notifications of updates available but nothing happens once it says it is Downloading.       There is much speculation on the MS forums, including long lists of steps to take (offered by users, not MS), but nothing seems to be working.    In the last 3 days I've gotten only two to update, one which wasn't on the list to download, but that is all.    By the way, I do these updates manually and I'm using Windows 7 Pro with the XP Emulator.

Even after the Win 10 flurry is past, nothing is happening.

tbh1

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Updates Empty Re: Windows 7 Updates

Post by tbh1 Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:40 am

I finally got a resolution to the update problem for Windows 7. I suspected the problem might be at Microsoft because of their Win 10 operation and also some comments on the Microsoft Community Forum but I had no proof. Finally, on Wednesday I called Dell Support and they spent about 4 hours total during 2 different sessions running diagnostics, fixes and reinstalling Windows Update. When I asked each of the two techs if the problem might be a slowdown from the Win 10 project they said no, no, no -- that couldn't be the problem. At the end they said that they had done everything possible and that the only other solution would be to reinstall Windows, a plan which I summarily rejected, at least for the time being.

Well, miraculously, starting early Thursday morning updates started trickling down, albeit slowly, but as the day progressed things got better and better. In the afternoon Dell called me back and I gave them the good news before they could tell me their news. Then Dell said yes, yes, yes -- it was the Windows 10 project all along. Argh!

tbh1

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:46 am

It was pretty obvious because of the timing of the cut off date for free upgrade??

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:07 pm

Windows 7 important updates seem to be once a month. the optional updates are more than once a week.

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tbh1 Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:46 pm

SunshineyDay:   Yes, I suspected MS all along but, as I mentioned, I had no proof.    I saw your comments on the other thread and that reinforced my belief and it led me to look further to the Microsoft Community Forum.    It was amusing to me that when the Dell tech finally 'fessed up about the real cause of the problem he didn't send me any feedback form!

Islandiver:    The important updates were there, and they showed on Sunday, July 31, but I couldn't get to them.    Later, on subsequent days, I couldn't even get MS to show me the available updates, let alone download and install them.

tbh1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down