INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who knows where to find a mango tree?

2 posters

Go down

Who knows where to find a mango tree? Empty Who knows where to find a mango tree?

Post by Milena Sun May 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Ah, but not just any kind of mango tree. All the viveros have something or other, they often don't know what variety. I want one that has fruit that isn't so full of tough fibrous threads that you choke on them, and a tree that won't grow so tall that I have to train a monkey to climb to the upper boughs to pick the mangoes. Ideally, a dwarf tree that produces well with disease-resistant sweet, edible fruit. Does such a creature exist? I would be forever grateful for the tip.

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Who knows where to find a mango tree? Empty Re: Who knows where to find a mango tree?

Post by bobnliz Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Milena ~ The Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables, Florida has developed what they call "Condo" Mangos. They have one called "Fairchild" and one called, I think, "Ice Cream". Supposed to grow to 6 ft or so, suitable for container gardening.
I don't know if you can get them locally, but maybe something could be ordered. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Who knows where to find a mango tree? Empty Re: Who knows where to find a mango tree?

Post by Milena Mon May 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info, Lizzy. I had done some online research and found mention of these 'condo mango' trees, so I know they do exist. However, I doubt they already have them here or that anyone would be able to get them shipped due to customs regulations, etc. I know what a hassle it is to get a package of vegetable seeds through the border, but a live tree? They say never to grow mango from seed, only grafted stock will produce edible fruit. So I guess I keep looking.

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 am

Darn! Where's a cartel when you need one?
NAFTA is useless 'less you are in business. L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down