INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hound dog?

+17
MexicoPete
Bubba2shoes
JayBear
Trailrunner
slainte39
islandiver
Carry Bean
WillieRae
cajunman
RVGRINGO
CanuckBob
Lady Otter Latté
hockables
kipissippi
Clete
brigitte
Jreboll
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hound dog? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hound dog?

Post by JayBear Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:58 am

I have to post to say that "Bubba" a/k/a "Hound Dog" was influential in convincing me that I would be happy in the Chapala area. His posts used to crack me up--I remember going online at our B&B on our first visit so I could read Bubba's latest, cracking up, and having the humorless B&B owner inquire what I was chortling about. I was honored to meet him when I moved down, and totally impressed with both him and his wife, who was kind enough to take me on a tour to her favorite Joco meat market. Good memories!

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Geez.  All these nice comments about the lowly Hound Dog (Dawg for short).  You all have inspired me to rejoin this fórum even though Brigiite and I now spend much of each year in Chiapas as some of you may have noted from her posts on living in Chiapas.   I have changed my posting name as you may note and am no longer posting as Hound Dog but I am still the same moron despite the name adjustment.  We will both be posting regarding Chapala and Chiapas and I thank you all for your (mostly) kind words.

I was indeed ill for a time mostly in 2015 but recovered for now at least as far as I can tell. I am, however, in my 75th year so quien sabe.  Sorry but I´m back.

Hound Dog (AKA Bubba2shoes)

Last edited by Bubba2shoes on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:16 pm

I have always greatly enjoyed your posts. Glad to see you posting here again
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Bama boy!!  You're back!

Cousin Kippy
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Welcome back, Bubba!   flag waver
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:32 pm

I am sure the Bama kick ass of USC put the spirit back in your butt. I am from Bama, and Fla. and have been here in AJIJIC and Chapala pary time for 27+ years now and have enjoyed your irreverence over the years ..Welcome back!!!

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Welcome back Alabama flower child

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Welcome back, Dawg. Keep it up.....or at least, keep writing. We are all getting older and older. I found some really bad news, when checking hometown obituaries recently: My contemporaries seem to be living into their 90s, with a few to 100. Why, bad news? So many of them just aren‘t “in there“ any more..........

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:04 pm

When talking "life span"... I think I'll have to choose quality over quantity.... When my IQ becomes lower than my number of years....
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:14 pm

yes that is the scariest thing to me..being alive with no brain left.. that is the worst..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:33 pm

I have a feeling (hope) that if it hasn't shown up yet...other than  "Where are my glasses?  And who took my keys!"  We're probably got a good shot of the body going before the brain... quietly I hope with no fuss.  Gene Wilder was such a shock...but of course we don't know when he was actually diagnosed.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Welcome back Bubba. Quit drinking about 5 years ago but somehow this emotei seemed somehow right. Beer
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks for mentioning Gene Wilder. I will never forget "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" which I guess means I am a hopeless kid, but when he strode out and then did a flip I was hooked. A mesmerizing actor. "Young Frankenstein" -- "that's "Frankenshteen' --an antic sense of humor. Well, I feel his legacy will be great, in many ways.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:13 am

We watched Blazing Saddles again last year and it was every bit as wonderful as I had remembered.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:15 pm

oncesubtle wrote:Welcome back Bubba. Quit drinking about 5 years ago but somehow this emotei seemed somehow right.  Beer

I understand unequivocally, oncesubtle.  Started drinking when I was 13 commencing with beer and an occasional gin with tonic I stole from my parents´ liquor cabinet. I became enamored with the smell of gin when on vacation at the beach on the Florida Gulf Coast where my South Alabama family spent parts of our summers and the adults in the family indulged in gins and tonic with regularity on lawn chairs overlooking the sea and the more they consumed the more fun they seemed to be having which made the substance they were drinking appeal to me as a tyke.  When I first tried gin straight up as a sub-teen  I couldn´t believe something that smelled so intiguing and carried the mystique of desired adult beverages could taste so bad. That´s when I discovered the value of 7 UP or tonic wáter.   To this day even at age 74, I recall the smell and feel the allure of the splendid Northwest Florida Gulf Coast beaches enjoyed while reclining in lawn chairs when I smell gin.

Later in life I learned to overindulge in various other adult beverages starting with various types of whiskies when living in the Southern U.S., moving on to vodka, tequila and rum in California, continuing the tequila tradition when I retired to Jalisco and graduating to the splendid aromatic local dark rums of Chiapas when we moved there.  All of these were fun indulgences  - actually, over time, perhaps to much fun calling for incremental dosage growth until, as I approached my mid-70s, the fun of ingesting ever increasing amounts of seemingly friendly poisons tapered off significantly and Yahweh began to exact punishment so I considered recreational alternatives and laid of the stuff.  

I am reminded of one of my favorite W.C. Fields yarns related by a woman who had become his caretaker after years of besottedness had rendered him quite ill and then dead.  She was asked by a reporter if it was true that later in life he actually drank a fifth of liquor each day as was rumored amongst his acquaintances.  She replied that, no it was not true, that, in fact, he drank two fifths of liquor a day in his latter years.  My hero.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sciman Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:29 pm

What a joy to hear from Bubba. Things have not been the same without that dry wit. My God it's been years. We never made it down there, but still dream and wonder, and remember with such fondness the banter that helped make life seem worthwhile.
sciman
sciman

Humor : great humor;-)

http://www.steveiman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:33 pm

I remember you sciman.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Bubba2shoes wrote:
oncesubtle wrote:Welcome back Bubba. Quit drinking about 5 years ago but somehow this emotei seemed somehow right.  Beer

I understand unequivocally, oncesubtle.  Started drinking when I was 13 commencing with beer and an occasional gin with tonic I stole from my parents´ liquor cabinet. I became enamored with the smell of gin when on vacation at the beach on the Florida Gulf Coast where my South Alabama family spent parts of our summers and the adults in the family indulged in gins and tonic with regularity on lawn chairs overlooking the sea and the more they consumed the more fun they seemed to be having which made the substance they were drinking appeal to me as a tyke.  When I first tried gin straight up as a sub-teen  I couldn´t believe something that smelled so intiguing and carried the mystique of desired adult beverages could taste so bad. That´s when I discovered the value of 7 UP or tonic wáter.   To this day even at age 74, I recall the smell and feel the allure of the splendid Northwest Florida Gulf Coast beaches enjoyed while reclining in lawn chairs when I smell gin.

Later in life I learned to overindulge in various other adult beverages starting with various types of whiskies when living in the Southern U.S., moving on to vodka, tequila and rum in California, continuing the tequila tradition when I retired to Jalisco and graduating to the splendid aromatic local dark rums of Chiapas when we moved there.  All of these were fun indulgences  - actually, over time, perhaps to much fun calling for incremental dosage growth until, as I approached my mid-70s, the fun of ingesting ever increasing amounts of seemingly friendly poisons tapered off significantly and Yahweh began to exact punishment so I considered recreational alternatives and laid of the stuff.  

I am reminded of one of my favorite W.C. Fields yarns related by a woman who had become his caretaker after years of besottedness had rendered him quite ill and then dead.  She was asked by a reporter if it was true that later in life he actually drank a fifth of liquor each day as was rumored amongst his acquaintances.  She replied that, no it was not true, that, in fact, he drank two fifths of liquor a day in his latter years.  My hero.

What a pleasant introduction to alcohol. Mine was very different and the only saving grace was, it was. Otherwise I doubt I could have quit and would have slipped back to the rosy days of my youth, with a senile smile on my face. Life now is not better or worse just A LOT cheaper.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2