INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Salmonellosis

+4
Gamina
David
ferret
kb9gzg
8 posters

Go down

Salmonellosis Empty Salmonellosis

Post by kb9gzg Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Yesterday evening, I was diagnosed with Salmonella Poisoning, after enduring a very long night and next-day of classic signs and symptoms (to put it politely), and was close to needing intravenous fluid. The prescribed medications are being effective.

Given the timeline, I had to have picked up this bug from either of two Ajijic restaurants. Has anyone heard of other cases, this week? Are there public health standards in Mexico? Do physicians report diagnoses to a national database? Other than the effects of personal comments, are there consequences for not meeting standards, if there are any?

Last edited by kb9gzg on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected typos)
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Salmonellosis Empty Re: Salmonellosis

Post by ferret Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:47 pm

Why are you assuming it was picked up from a restaurant?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Good question, and one that I asked my physician. The diagnostic and epidemiological processes determined its origin to be a food-borne vector.
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Could have been food in your home.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:39 pm

There are no standards for health food safety in Mexico. No national data base; not even local data base. Keep Electrolit in your home and after a day and a half of really bad diarrhea and drinking Electrolit (no Lomotil; you want to get this stuff out of you not hold on to it) go to the pharmacy and ask for their recommendation. Usually no more treatment is required. Just don't let yourself get dehydrated as that is the biggest problem with salmonella.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Again, another useful comment. I should have described my doctor's workup, which probably would have answered many questions before they needed to be asked. Suffice it to say that, based upon the elapsed time between eating out (late breakfast and early supper), with nothing else eaten during the previous twelve hours, and the appearance of my first symptoms, the doctor ruled out home food as the origin.

Last edited by kb9gzg on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mistake--wrong post.)
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:56 pm

Incubation of salmonella is between 8-48 hours; sometimes even out to 72 hours. That's why David's question. It's very difficult to tell the origin when the incubation period is so long.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm sure that the physician's conclusions were based upon a lot of information, including the history of my presenting illness. If the food that my wife and I had eaten up to 72 hours previous to S/S had been the vector, why didn't she get sick? We chose different menu items for the late breakfast and early supper, and I got sick almost 12 hours later.

Thanks for your comments. My back-home PCP said that my Ajijic doc followed appropriate protocols and, based upon my presenting S/S, prescribed treatment that is medically appropriate.
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:51 pm

What did you eat for that meal that appears to be the culprit? Are you well now, or all least better?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 pm

Thank you for asking, Trailrunner. Doctor thought that it might have been the fish or one not-cooked mushroom--he wasn't sure, but reminded me that food-borne could mean that it's origin may have been human contamination.

We are fortunate to be able to eat out most of our meals, and neither of us has previously been similarly affected. I'm feeling significantly better, after only one day of taking my medicine, drinking electrolytes and lots of water, and sleeping a lot. Doc told me that had we waited another day, my condition would have required hospitalization--signs and symptoms were that severe.
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:17 am

I knew it! I knew it!
Having money can be dangerous!
Get well soon..... Beer

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Yes!.... lol!

kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Glad you're better.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:57 pm

Sorry you got sick, did you fly down? Curious which two restaurants you ate at but send it in a pm if you don't mind or just mentioning it here will be a can of worms.

Coconut water is the best hydrator.

Best well wishes!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:13 am

It takes one thing not cooked properly, one person with contaminated hand.. it can happen anywhere...it does..
I was sick as a dog with fever 2 weeks ago in Lima where I only ate in the tip restaurants..lots of ceviche so that could have been it but who knows..The important thing is t remain hydrated and get over it and be ready for the next attack..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:58 pm

I returned from Peru sick from eating cerviche, no more of that for me.

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum