INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need directions to the Chapala tianguis

+8
lunateak
Lady Otter Latté
lilikoi
WDBarr
Trailrunner
gobluejohn
CanuckBob
WillieRae
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Need directions to the Chapala tianguis - Page 2 Empty Re: Need directions to the Chapala tianguis

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:15 am

[quote="lunateak"]M&BD - So you have no idea who you're talking about living on Gringo Road and can't name one place that is 95% gringo.
Just adds to you lack of credibility.[/quote]

Too funny!

Back to top Go down

Need directions to the Chapala tianguis - Page 2 Empty Re: Need directions to the Chapala tianguis

Post by slainte39 Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:To me, a "Mexican neighborhood" is one not so saturated with foreigners that it takes on the look and feel of being NOB. Life has not been twisted out of shape to accommodate the demands of the entitled. That may be appealing for those people who don't really want to be in Mexico but can't afford a decent (or any) lifestyle NOB or can live much higher on the hog here. They like to forget they are in Mexico as often as possible. Those of us who chose to have a Mexican adventure and were not enamored of the American culture and lifestyle as it had devolved are happy to be in a Mexican neighborhood with a sprinkling of foreigners. Every place I have lived in Chapala and San Antonio Tlayacapan since moving here has been like that. It is my preference.

I wish I had some gringo friends.....they sound like fun...... lol!
Busy right now with Mexican gymnastics (nietas).....from Cancun to Aguascalientes. flag waver

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:31 am

[quote="slainte39"][quote="Lady Otter Latté"]To me, a "Mexican neighborhood" is one not so saturated with foreigners that it takes on the look and feel of being NOB. Life has not been twisted out of shape to accommodate the demands of the entitled. That may be appealing for those people who don't really want to be in Mexico but can't afford a decent (or any) lifestyle NOB or can live much higher on the hog here. They like to forget they are in Mexico as often as possible. Those of us who chose to have a Mexican adventure and were not enamored of the American culture and lifestyle as it had devolved are happy to be in a Mexican neighborhood with a sprinkling of foreigners. Every place I have lived in Chapala and San Antonio Tlayacapan since moving here has been like that. It is my preference.[/quote]

I wish I had some gringo friends.....they sound like fun...... lol!
Busy right now with Mexican gymnastics (nietas).....from Cancun to Aguascalientes. flag waver[/quote]

How I do miss my (95%) Gringo friends.........  LOL. ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:51 am

LO many Mexicans live like people in the US they just have more money that people living in poorer areas or lower middle class areas and there is nothing wrong with either one...It is all Mexico.
Personally I enjoy all of it the rich and poor areas and live in an area I enjoy, I do not care how many Mexicans or foreigners live there and I enjoy having all the amenities I get in the States or France. If I want to slum it, I can do that too but I realize I do not belong there no matter what I think. I am the francesa , the rich old lady because I am white , have a tv, running water , wear glasses and can afford to go to the doctor when I need to.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:53 am

LO many Mexicans live like people in the US they just have more money that people living in poorer areas or lower middle class  areas and there is nothing wrong with either one...It is all Mexico.
Personally I enjoy all of it the rich and poor areas and live in an area I enjoy, I do not care how many Mexicans or foreigners live there and I enjoy having  all the amenities I get in the States or France. If I want to slum it, I can do that too but I realize I do not belong there no matter what I think.  I am the francesa , the rich old lady because I am white , have a tv, running water , wear glasses and can afford to go to the doctor when I need to.

Anyone thinking of Ajijic as the Beverly Hills of Mexico has not travelled much in Mexico..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:56 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:To me, a "Mexican neighborhood" is one not so saturated with foreigners that it takes on the look and feel of being NOB. Life has not been twisted out of shape to accommodate the demands of the entitled. That may be appealing for those people who don't really want to be in Mexico but can't afford a decent (or any) lifestyle NOB or can live much higher on the hog here. They like to forget they are in Mexico as often as possible. Those of us who chose to have a Mexican adventure and were not enamored of the American culture and lifestyle as it had devolved are happy to be in a Mexican neighborhood with a sprinkling of foreigners. Every place I have lived in Chapala and San Antonio Tlayacapan since moving here has been like that. It is my preference.

Other than the gated communities and a few controlled Fraccs I'm not aware of any part of Ajijic village or Chapala centro that fits the description of "Americanized" other than some of the casa's have been fixed up. Enlighten me?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:02 pm

brigitte wrote:LO many Mexicans live like people in the US they just have more money that people living in poorer areas or lower middle class  areas and there is nothing wrong with either one...It is all Mexico.
Personally I enjoy all of it the rich and poor areas and live in an area I enjoy, I do not care how many Mexicans or foreigners live there and I enjoy having  all the amenities I get in the States or France. If I want to slum it, I can do that too but I realize I do not belong there no matter what I think.  I am the francesa , the rich old lady because I am white , have a tv, running water , wear glasses and can afford to go to the doctor when I need to.

Anyone thinking of Ajijic as the Beverly Hills of Mexico has not travelled much in Mexico..

Yeah no kidding. I have heard Ajijic referred to as the "Beverly Hills" of the Lake Chapala area but not all of Mexico. There are neighborhoods in Guadalajara that are way nicer.

I have found the term "Mexican neighborhood", as used by the gringos, to be areas that are poorer and not as well kept where even the more affluent Mexicans wouldn't live. The rents tend to be far cheaper in these "Mexican neighborhoods"...........YMMV. Personally I think all of Ajijic village and Chapala centro are Mexican neighborhoods.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by lilikoi Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:34 pm

What's crazy to me is that Lady otter Latte, mistook my "venture into the neighborhood" suggestion as a put-down of my neighborhood. It wasn't. I was taking into consideration the folks who were parking across at Soriana to go to the market. Anyway, if you've never been tooling around in the 'hood on market day, and aren't familiar, driving around in there can be a bit daunting, thus the further suggestion to park up the hill at end of tiangus. It's daunting, but if you are willing to "venture" kind of derived from "adventure", it can make market day a breeze. get it? Shocked
lilikoi
lilikoi

Humor : Radical

Back to top Go down

Post by holdrja Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:38 am

For years we were the only gringos on our (couple of miles of) road. Then last year another gringo moved in. Sigh. There goes the neighborhood.

We enjoy and participate in the culture and language of the country we have chosen to live in for the rest of our lives. But then our roots in Mexico go back 45 years, and we've always felt comfortable here. More so than in the suburbs of New Jersey. To each her own.
holdrja
holdrja
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rdplakechapala.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2