INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT'S WITH PERRY'S PIZZA?

+16
gobluejohn
Chapalagringa
Fastfox
David
SunshineyDay
Lady Otter Latté
Flamingo
Clete
Kiri
JayBear
WillieRae
DaveP
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
Carry Bean
gringal
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WHAT'S WITH PERRY'S PIZZA? Empty WHAT'S WITH PERRY'S PIZZA?

Post by gringal Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:32 pm

In need of Pizza tonight: Called; ordered veggie pizza. No delivery available. (What's pizza without delivery?)
Decided to pick it up. They said it would be ready in 15 minutes. (huh?) Arrived ten minutes later. Pizza already to go. (how can you make and cook a pizza in less than 10 minutes??) Wasn't even hot. Tough crust. Quality way down.
No Perry in sight.
What's happening?
Any suggestions for a better Pizza? I'm done with Perry.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

WHAT'S WITH PERRY'S PIZZA? Empty Re: WHAT'S WITH PERRY'S PIZZA?

Post by Carry Bean Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:23 pm

That's the kind of pizza I got at Perry's when I was there months ago. Never again and the burgers were inedible.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Must not be enough Trumpsters around to support him.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:10 pm

The past several deliveries I did have were disgusting. Pizzas all squished to one side of the box. I called and they delivered 3 more in the same condition. Motorcycles, cobblestones and slippery pizza boxes are a bad mix. I understand that is why he doesn't deliver anymore. Pizza Disco is the new go to pizza place anyhow. They deliver it unsquished.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Need phone number for Pizza Disco, for favor?
Unsquished is always better.
Heard good things about Pizza Disco.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:19 pm

766-4797

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:01 am

I haven't bought pizza at Perry's in many months. I noticed a decline and shortly thereafter my pickup pizzas were simply horrible. That was enough. We have a new pizza place in La Canacinta with great toppings and a crisp sourdough crust. No delivery because he does not trust deliverymen, but for us it is only 2 blocks to pick up. Eating there is always an option.

Personally, I think Perry thought he had it made and stopped trying. Fatal!

Last edited by DaveP on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:26 am; edited 3 times in total
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:08 am

Address for Pizza Disco?
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:25 am

CanuckBob wrote:766-4797

Muchas Gracias!!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:30 am

DaveP wrote:I haven't bought pizza at Perry's in many months. I noticed a decline and shortly thereafter my pickup pizzas were simply horrible. That was enough. We have a new pizza place in La Canacinta with great toppings and a crisp sourdough crust. No delivery because he does not trust deliverymen, but for us it is only 2 blocks to pick up. Eating there is always an option.

Personally, I think Perry thought he had it made and stopped trying. Fatal!

You just said the magic words "crisp SOURDOUGH crust", which is worth driving for.
Where, exactly is this place? Signage? Phone number? Can I phone ahead to pick up when it's done?

I think you nailed it about Perry.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:54 am

They are right next to Ancla restaurant, right on the careterra, just west of La Reserva. Don't have a phone number but will try to get one. They cook pizza in a gas fired oven in less than 15 minutes at 800F. (same as a wood fired oven). From experience I don't think he has take out boxes so I am not sure if take out is a good idea. Try an eat-in first and talk to him about take out. He is open to suggestions.

He only has about 8 toppings but he will do it how you like it.

BTW. When I say right next door I mean it. It is in the same row. Turn in toward Ancla and go to their right and you have it. It is called Jitomate.(Very small sign but double frontage). The owner Gabriel is the son of the infamous Giovanni.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:14 am

DaveP wrote:They are right next to Ancla restaurant, right on the careterra, just west of La Reserva. Don't have a phone number but will try to get one. They cook pizza in a gas fired oven in less than 15 minutes at 800F. (same as a wood fired oven). From experience I don't think he has take out boxes so I am not sure if take out is a good idea. Try an eat-in first and talk to him about take out. He is open to suggestions.

He only has about 8 toppings but he will do it how you like it.

BTW. When I say right next door I mean it. It is in the same row. Turn in toward Ancla and go to their right and you have it. It is called Jitomate.(Very small sign). The owner Gabriel is the son of the infamous Giovanni.

LOL. Another spawn of Giovanni? How about I bring my own pizza box left after throwing out the rest of the latest Perry disaster?
Poor Ancla. They had a series of misfortunes, didn't they? Have they recovered?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:32 am

Gringal, a great idea!
They are a lovely couple there....I just live their lonches! Yum! A bit of a drive but worth it.

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:06 am

Like Giovanni his spawns are good cooks but poor businessmen. I hear they sometimes forget that they have to pay suppliers and rents. That said, Gabriel would be happy to put his pizza in Perry's box. (no pun intended). As I said he is open to suggestion. They are closed Tuesday but open till 8:30 all other days. (maybe 10 is he is busy).

Ancla is another story. After a particularly bad meal about 8 months ago we told the non-sympathetic owner that we would not be back (we were there 2x a week. It is close to home).

We returned about a month ago and you now get what the menu suggests. The head waiter had been after me to return for months saying that things had improved and he was right. The meal was a great improvement.

Most Lakeside restaurants do not have recipes for their cooks to follow. That is a sin, as how can they follow the menu without recipes. Recipes are the basis on which restaurants gain their reputation. When cooks change, without recipes, the dishes become what the new cook thinks they should be without reference to how they were before the change. Chains have this in spades, their recipes include ingredients, method and pictures. They reflect a product for which they want to be remembered to create repeat business.

Ancla was a victim of this. They rehired a previous cook from the Monte Carlo restaurant but he had no idea of the menu changes and proceeded to prepare dishes that he thought were those described in the menu. They lost a lot of business but they now appear to be getting some of it back. A sympathetic owner would have helped.

A note about the Monte Carlo (RIP). Once when we were there we both ordered their paella. It was great but the presentation was superb. As we had both ordered it the cook had it served in the paella pan in all its glory. A visual delight. On a later visit when we ordered the paella it came on separate plates We never ordered it again.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:41 am

DaveP; you hit all the notes there. Being a good cook has little to do with running a successful restaurant. It's all about the details.
Small and larger errors like:
-mopping the floor with smelly stuff after opening hours with customers on board.
-not dealing with fly control
-not striving for consistency (the usual downfall).  We shouldn't read a rave review; go to the place and order the same thing only to get a substandard meal.
-allowing waiters to have tunnel vision (in which the tunnel never includes the customer)
-playing music "the staff likes" at loud volume.
All of this gets in the way of developing a loyal customer base.

...without which doom follows.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks Gringal. You and I think alike.

When I was building up my somewhat seasonal tax business I worked off season mostly in Restaurants. I owned one, I managed several and worked on the line at several. At one in particular place the wait staff used to bring me  free drinks because they said they got bigger tips when I finished the plating. If what you first see meets or exceeds your expectations then generally the meal will also. The opposite, sadly, is also true.

The only thing consistent in many local restaurants is the inconsistency.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:36 am

Gerardo's phone at Jitomate is 333-597-3076. Original house were 7-2 and 5 to 11, according to my note.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:59 am

DaveP wrote:Address for Pizza Disco?

Here is the link to their Facebook page. It has all the info.

https://www.facebook.com/Pizza-Disco-279521785815919/

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:39 am

Regarding Monte Cristo: We went once and I ordered the paella. It came in a large plate. I carefully divided it down the middle and ate one half. The waitress removed my plate and a few minutes later, I saw her and her little girl eating something. I jokingly said to my husband that I hope she isn't eating my paella. She was doing exactly that. I refused to pay for the whole meal, as I had only eaten half. We never went back.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Kiri wrote:Regarding Monte Cristo: We went once and I ordered the paella. It came in a large plate. I carefully divided it down the middle and ate one half. The waitress removed my plate and a few minutes later, I saw her and her little girl eating something. I jokingly said to my husband that I hope she isn't eating my paella. She was doing exactly that. I refused to pay for the whole meal, as I had only eaten half. We never went back.

Had you asked for it to go?

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:48 pm

An off-topic aside. I find Facebook absolutely creepy, so when the few times I use it I go "under-cover". I don't want them following me around. When I click on business Facebook pages, (not signed into Facebook) I get a window that hides half of the page, usually including the address and phone #. Do businesses know this? Can they change the settings so everyone can see the page? Otherwise it seems like a wasted effort.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Back to Jitomate in far west Ajijic: We were there today. Gerardo says the hours are now 12 - 10, closed Tuesday. Yes, you can call to order, and yes, they have boxes.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Flamingo wrote:An off-topic aside. I find Facebook absolutely creepy, so when the few times I use it I go "under-cover". I don't want them following me around. When I click on business Facebook pages, (not signed into Facebook) I get a window that hides half of the page, usually including the address and phone #. Do businesses know this? Can they change the settings so everyone can see the page? Otherwise it seems like a wasted effort.

Well since Facebook has about 1 billion users they probably aren't concerned with those that find it creepy. My local business pages have 65,000 viewers just in our general area. Just saying.......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Flamingo wrote:An off-topic aside. I find Facebook absolutely creepy, so when the few times I use it I go "under-cover". I don't want them following me around. When I click on business Facebook pages, (not signed into Facebook) I get a window that hides half of the page, usually including the address and phone #. Do businesses know this? Can they change the settings so everyone can see the page? Otherwise it seems like a wasted effort.

It's Facebook not the Yellow Pages. Facebook's entire business model depends on members. Why should they make things easy for freeloaders who want what they offer for absolutely free? You want the info they have, give them the info they want. If not, get the info someplace else. As CBob pointed out business owners aren't feeling deprived because lurkers might stop coming around.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:21 pm

I guess it depends on whether or not you don't mind being tracked and pestered with popup ads and etc.

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next