INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FISH AND CHIPS

+18
simpsca
ferret
Carry Bean
lunateak
Trailrunner
CHILLIN
brigitte
hickton
David
slainte39
Rosa Venus
copper
SunFan
lakeside7
Lady Otter Latté
suegarn
CanuckBob
gringal
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

FISH AND CHIPS - Page 3 Empty Re: FISH AND CHIPS

Post by brigitte Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 pm

I guess chillin is into football... 100 yard is a football field no?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Clete wrote:Screw dorado (mahi mahi, the most overrated fish on the planet) and find either robalo or lora.

Totally agree! The stuff they are calling Mahi these days is NOTHING like the mahi I grew up eating in Hawaii. Different fish. This one is tough and fishy.

So, isn't robalo halibut? We can't get that here. Even David and Tabarka can't get it. What is lora?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Trailrunner wrote:
Clete wrote:Screw dorado (mahi mahi, the most overrated fish on the planet) and find either robalo or lora.

Totally agree! The stuff they are calling Mahi these days is NOTHING like the mahi I grew up eating in Hawaii. Different fish. This one is tough and fishy.

So, isn't robalo halibut? We can't get that here. Even David and Tabarka can't get it. What is lora?

Dorado is the same thing you had in Hawaii. You must not be getting it fresh. Even so, it is overrated.

Robalo is snook. Lora is Parrotfish.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:00 pm

And halibut is a cold water fish... same as cod and plaice. Those three are the fish that are traditionally used in Britain and Canada for British style fish and chips. And then we can get into the type of potatoes used for the chips. And then we can whine about needing real malt vinegar.
There's probably even more variables than those (kind of batter and kind of frying fat) but "there ain't nuthin' like the real thing"... and it's most definitely not available here.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:00 am

Believe me, as much as I like and have consumed "fish and chips", I pass on all of it here.  Huachinango (entero, dorado), Robalo, and Corvina, are the only fish I will be bothered with.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am

Clete wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:

Dorado is the same thing you had in Hawaii. You must not be getting it fresh. Even so, it is overrated.

You are right, I'm not getting it fresh here at Lake Chapala. BUT, I used to live in Sayulita and bought it fresh off the boats in the morning - it was also fishy and tough, to my taste anyway.

In my twenties I worked in restaurants in Waikiki, mahi was so cheap and plentiful it was served for employee meals and I ate it nightly for many years. I know the fish, how it was prepared, and how it should taste. Restaurants sold tons of it nightly. Then one day, no mahi, a moratorium on mahi mahi the fish markets said the local waters were "fished out". There was panic! But, soon, mahi was back and the markets said it was coming from Taiwan. It tasted the same and life went on in the restaurant business in Waikiki.  That mahi was sweet, mild tasting, no bones, tender like butter, and was usually served sliced in thin fillets, sauteed in butter, flashed with sweet sherry with pan tipped and alcohol burned off, and tossed with slivered almonds. sob So good, not even close to what we're getting here. Overrated to be sure.

Remembered something else about those old Mahi days, we were always told to tell the tourists Mahi was a kind of dolfin but not Flipper!

I will try Robalo and Lora.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:28 am

robalo is the best around here , parrot fish is also good. grouper you rarely see in Ajijic.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:35 am

brigitte wrote:robalo is the best around here , parrot fish  is also good. grouper you rarely see in Ajijic.

Tabarka has it listed on its menu quite often.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Trailrunner wrote:
Clete wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:

You are right, I'm not getting it fresh here at Lake Chapala. BUT, I used to live in Sayulita and bought it fresh off the boats in the morning - it was also fishy and tough, to my taste anyway.

In my twenties I worked in restaurants in Waikiki, mahi was so cheap and plentiful it was served for employee meals and I ate it nightly for many years. I know the fish, how it was prepared, and how it should taste. Restaurants sold tons of it nightly. Then one day, no mahi, a moratorium on mahi mahi the fish markets said the local waters were "fished out". There was panic! But, soon, mahi was back and the markets said it was coming from Taiwan. It tasted the same and life went on in the restaurant business in Waikiki.  That mahi was sweet, mild tasting, no bones, tender like butter, and was usually served sliced in thin fillets, sauteed in butter, flashed with sweet sherry with pan tipped and alcohol burned off, and tossed with slivered almonds. sob So good, not even close to what we're getting here. Overrated to be sure.

Remembered something  else about those old Mahi days, we were always told to tell the tourists Mahi was a kind of dolfin but not Flipper!

I will try Robalo and Lora.

It is also known as dolphinfish in many places. I have caught many of them on the Mexican Pacific but also in Fiji and the Samoan Islands. To me it doesn't matter where it's from, it's still dorado. I much prefer wahoo as a fighter and find it to be one of the very best for smoked fish.

I have always been under the impression that fish used for fish and chips in Great Britain is many time shark so I ran it by Google.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2707964/Warning-Your-fish-chips-actually-SHARK-Steve-Boggan-reveals-unsuspecting-customers-conned-vast-scale.html

I love the fish tacos at TacoFish La Paz on Av. La Paz in Guadalajara and have been told they use buzon which is shark.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:11 pm

sorry we are not talking about the same place ...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Well, thanks Clete, you cleared up a mystery for me. That dolphin fish and dorado are one and the same, right?  Maybe it's the cut? Those mahi fillets I used to eat and serve in Waikiki were very thinly sliced and about the size of the palm of a hand - kind of resembling fillets of sole. The mahi I see in the pescaderias here are thick and cut like steaks. Maybe if cut thin on an angle. . . OR, maybe they caught smaller/younger fish???

Yes, Wahoo (Ono - which means good in Hawaiian) will give you a run for your money and taste good too but hands down best of all Hawaiian water fish is Opakapaka or what we know as Pink Snapper.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm

I'm starting to think that the whole world is into fusion cooking. My Jamaican friend called the flaky pastries filled with spicy potatoes Roti and that was in the 70's. She was a recent immigrant to Canada from Jamaica.
I have an Iranian friend who called her flat bread Chapata and it's nothing like the Chapata bread here and that was in the 80's. There is no way that shark was being used for fish and chips in the 70's either. But I would imagine that many fish are disappearing from popularity because of over fishing. And some olive oils are fake and some honey's are fake.
We are all victims of our past so I guess the best idea is to just find something you like the taste of and not be too particular about all the details...
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3