INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on?

+5
Trailrunner
ltollefs
cypress
RickS
Cincy
9 posters

Go down

HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on? Empty HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on?

Post by Cincy Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:09 pm

Today, at one of the HSBC ATM machines opposite Walmart I captured the following data on my iphone from the last screen displayed before money was dispensed on a request to withdraw $10,000 MXN

WITHDRAWAL REQUEST

TOTAL REQUESTED: $10,033.35
(includes Commision + IVA)

EXCHANGE RATE: 1 USD = 16.7955 MXN

ACCEPT CONVERSION
 [press button]
  $597 USD

DECLINE CONVERSION
 [press button]
  $10,033.35

I declined the terrible $16.7955 MXN to USD conversion rate being offered and got 17.77 instead.......!!!!

Is anyone else seeing this new screen at HSBC?  Last week, being in a rush, I skipped through this screen without reading the details and was given a $16.66 MXN to USD conversion rate.  My own fault...!!!

Last edited by Cincy on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on? Empty Re: HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on?

Post by RickS Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:11 pm

This was reported here and elsewhere a week or so ago. Seems like the answer should be no at first and then it will continue to the better exchange rate. NO TELLING what that is all about.  Maybe after saying 'no' 10 times, one will no longer be able to get cash out of that ATM. How's that for starting a rumor!?!  
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on? Empty Re: HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on?

Post by cypress Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:21 pm

It is a scam carried on by the bank. If you say yes to that rate you will get that terrible rate and you have no recourse as you said yes. Say no and you get a much better rate.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Ah, so they are owned by Wells Fargo, eh!?!

RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on? Empty HSBC ATMs

Post by cypress Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:00 am

RickS wrote:Ah, so they are owned by Wells Fargo, eh!?!

Of course not.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:59 am

cypress wrote:
RickS wrote:Ah, so they are owned by Wells Fargo, eh!?!

Of course not.
HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on? Ded10
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:14 am

lolol 
Yeah, it was a joke! And a good one, I thought!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am

Trailrunner wrote:lolol 
Yeah, it was a joke! And a good one, I thought!
Maybe a joke to some but meaningless to me. An inside joke regarding WF?

Last edited by cypress on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:14 am

Yes, a joke but hardly an 'inside' joke. WF was caught committing fraud against millions of their customers and was fined $200 million last year. Many people fired (probably not the ones they should have been!) and a new class-action law suit has recently been filled alleging the fraud was much 'deeper' than previously acknowledged.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:42 am

RickS wrote:Yes, a joke but hardly an 'inside' joke. WF was caught committing fraud against millions of their customers and was fined $200 million last year. Many people fired (probably not the ones they should have been!) and a new class-action law suit has recently been filled alleging the fraud was much 'deeper' than previously acknowledged.
An inside joke to me as i know nothing about Wells Fargo.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:46 am

You don't need to be an insider to get the joke.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:49 am

I didn't get the joke either. No Wells Fargo in Canuckland.......

Beer

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:You don't need to be an insider to get the joke.

But wouldn't you at least have to know about the WF problem, to get the joke. Probably not on many peoples' knowledge of the "news".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Anyhow this thing with HSBC.......could it be they use a couple of different brokerage houses for foreign exchange and the first screen is one quote and when you say no you get a competing quote??

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:35 pm

This whole thing with HSBC sounds very bizarre. There are tons of other ATMs to use, avoid those.

The thing about WF goes back decades. It is not new news that they are scumbags. Their behavior during the US financial meltdown a few years ago was in line with their past and many people pulled their accounts. Others pulled their accounts when it was found out WF was the bank financing the Dakota pipeline that was supported and invested in by 45. They're pretty hated.

Many years ago I had a financial crunch and had high credit card balances and WF immediately cancelled my account. None of the others did, they worked with me, and I was able to climb out of it and keep my credit intact. I've hated them ever since.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:42 pm

slainte39 wrote:
Lady Otter Latté wrote:You don't need to be an insider to get the joke.

But wouldn't you at least have to know about the WF problem, to get the joke. Probably not on many peoples' knowledge of the "news".

You definitely need to know about WF history (and as Trailrunner points out, it is a long running one) to get the joke. I have been aware of it for so long I assume everyone must know. But, I have been accused of being a news junkie so there is that.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:45 pm

Went to HSBC today. ATM on the left was out of service (or money). Used the one on the right. No issues and did not see the screen that was referred to. Took out my pesos and went on my way. Rate was 17.63
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

HSBC ATM - Is there an issue/scam going on? Empty HSBC ATMS

Post by cypress Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:10 am

Trailrunner wrote:This whole thing with HSBC sounds very bizarre. There are tons of other ATMs to use, avoid those.

The thing about WF goes back decades. It is not new news that they are scumbags. Their behavior during the US financial meltdown a few years ago was in line with their past and many people pulled their accounts. Others pulled their accounts when it was found out WF was the bank financing the Dakota pipeline that was supported and invested in by 45. They're pretty hated.

Many years ago I had a financial crunch and had high credit card balances and WF immediately cancelled my account. None of the others did, they worked with me, and I was able to climb out of it and keep my credit intact. I've hated them ever since.
I prefer using HSBC as I don't pay any fees there for using my debit card there.

Last edited by cypress on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 am

HSBC has at least one ATM that also dispenses USD. Perhaps that is the one that gives the exchange rate option? Or do they all dispense USD?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:16 am

CanuckBob wrote:HSBC has at least one ATM that also dispenses USD. Perhaps that is the one that gives the exchange rate option? Or do they all dispense USD?
only one of the machines has that option.
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:27 am

joyfull wrote:Went to HSBC today. ATM on the left was out of service (or money). Used the one on the right. No issues and did not see the screen that was referred to. Took out my pesos and went on my way. Rate was 17.63

I too used the one on the right and this is where the new, additional screen popped up.  My wife used her debit card and also got the addition screen.

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Was at the HSBC in Tlaquepaque today withdrawing some pesos when the same ending screen popped up offing the same terrible exchange rate! I declined and received a better exchange rate! So it's not just the Ajijic HSBC branch... I'm using a US issued Debit MasterCard. What do other people use at the HSBC to withdraw pesos?

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down