INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for these Canadians (Tourtiere)

4 posters

Go down

Question for these Canadians (Tourtiere) Empty Question for these Canadians (Tourtiere)

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:26 am

I'm making Tourtiere for a dear friend, it was a request, her Mother used to make it.
What do you think of this recipe? Ok? Change, add, or do you have a better recipe?

Since its colder I thought I'd make it for Thanksgiving since she's included in our plans. It sounds easy.
Thanks espiritu

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12343/meat-pie-tourtiere/
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Question for these Canadians (Tourtiere) Empty Re: Question for these Canadians (Tourtiere)

Post by ferret Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 am

It comes down to whatever works (and tastes) for you.
I have made the following recipe which is very similar except for no potato. Instead, very fine dry breadcrumbs were added AFTER simmering the pork, onion and spices... that requires a slow addition of the bread crumbs until the correct consistency is achieved...kinda like a paste. Without the correct consistency, your tourtiere slice will not retain its shape. Been there, done that. Anyway, this recipe is almost identical to a French Canadian friends recipe but it comes from the 1988 David Wood Food Book. Oh, and my friend always used the recipe for pastry on the back of a package of Tenderflake Lard. I did too but I've stumbled making pastry of the same quality since moving to Mexico.
2 pounds lean ground pork, 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion, 1 tsp GINGER (not cinnamon), 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp ground allspice, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs.
Combine all ingredients except the last two. Cook over medium heat, while breaking up the meat and until the pork loses its raw colour.
Add the water, bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for 1/2 hour while stirring occasionally. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, a little at a time, until the right consistency is achieved, then allow to cool. You may use the whole cup of breadcrumbs or you may not... it depends on the texture you wish to achieve.
Use your preferred pastry but the dish should be deeper than a regular pie plate. The cooled meat should be put in to the level of the top of the dish then covered with another round of pastry that has vent holes slashed in it. You may brush the top of the pastry with 1 egg beaten with  1 tsp of water (or not). Preheat oven to 425 F. and bake tourtiere for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350 F.  and bake for 40 minutes longer until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven but cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into it. Can be served hot or cold.
BTW, this recipe wasn't spicy enough for me so I put in 2 tsp of black pepper and 2 tsp of ground cloves. YMMV.
Enjoy!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Question for these Canadians (Tourtiere) Empty Re: Question for these Canadians (Tourtiere)

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you.. Absolutely... Thanks for adding this.. Starting to really get excited about holidays..
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:00 pm

I didn't even realize that Tourtiere was a "Canadian" thing. I had never even heard of it until I moved here. Maybe French Canadian?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Most definitely French Canadian. My hubby's grandmother lived in Montreal and the family cottage was in Morin Heights, Quebec on Lake Echo.

Here's a good link with some great tips about Tenderflake Pastry...
https://www.acanadianfoodie.com/2013/11/09/tenderflake-pie-pastry-and-variations/

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 pm

My french canadian mother in law would never add spuds. She said that was a Depression addition. She did add 25% ground beef. Said it lightened it up. Awesome Tourtiere.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down