INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

garage doors ///// in a new house; metal that open out, or a typical NOB door???

+6
ferret
miendo
hockables
gringal
cypress
Sherman
10 posters

Go down

garage doors /////  in a new house; metal that open out, or a typical NOB door??? Empty garage doors ///// in a new house; metal that open out, or a typical NOB door???

Post by Sherman Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:25 am

In a new house and now thinking about garage doors ... it's a completely enclosed garage and easily the doors can open to the street (NOT a busy street).

Metal doors, that open out, .... more painting every few years, but have options for style. Safety/Security???
Do they offer anything over the 'roll-up' doors from the north for cost, maintenance or security?

Thoughts, comments or experience.

Thanks .....

S.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

garage doors /////  in a new house; metal that open out, or a typical NOB door??? Empty Re: garage doors ///// in a new house; metal that open out, or a typical NOB door???

Post by cypress Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:28 am

Yes, they have solid metal doors that in or out. Manual or with a remote. Essential for security.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

garage doors /////  in a new house; metal that open out, or a typical NOB door??? Empty Re: garage doors ///// in a new house; metal that open out, or a typical NOB door???

Post by gringal Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 am

I have the kind that slide sideways into one another. The advantage is that the driver has a better view of the street while backing out. Has a remote and also a system allowing for manual operation when the power is out.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:30 pm

bought in 08 ... rented for near 5 years...
in that time.. the tenant asked for new steel doors with opener for added security...
I thought " I like security " so... sure, why not.
doors installed, opener installed... about $2500 if I remember correctly...

about 6 months later... someone got into the garage!!
they moved roof tiles aside and dropped down!!

I didn't know they could do that  Shocked

our doors fold outwards on both sides...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 pm

LIFE HERE ..... !!! I will keep in mind about the roof tiles. I think we will have a cement roof on which the roof tiles will be placed. That 'might' take care of the ladrons.

s.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by miendo Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Does anyone have the garage doors like nob? There seems to be more popping up. We were thinking of that for more clearance and viewing of traffic.
miendo
miendo

Humor : Plenty

http://www.AjijicNews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:40 pm

miendo wrote:Does anyone have the garage doors like nob? There seems to be more popping up. We were thinking of that for more clearance and viewing of traffic.

yes, you can get the NOB garage doors here. But i don't know where.
My architect/builder is rec the MX metals doors.

S.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:50 pm

I have a door that slides all the way over to one side. It does have a manual release in case of power failure but also has two big rings to put a lock through so that the manual release cannot be used by anyone else.
The motor died last year but was replaced by a rebuilt one. I back in so it's easier to get out safely.
Puertas y Sistemas Automaticos
Ventas, Instalacion, Reparacion y Mantenimiento
San Luis #30, Riberas del Pilar
765-4367
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:52 pm

8 years ago when Rebecca Parrett (remember her? See below) house sat for me, she stuck an open padlock through the loops welded on the inside of my 2 metal bifold garage doors to hold the doors together in case someone tried to force them open.  In her case, she was avoiding Federal Marshalls.  A nice but basic security measure.  I recommend a battery backup for the opener which has come in handy on more than one occasion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/27/AR2010102707650.html?noredirect=on

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Wow. I forgot about her.
The marshall's should have known how to pop the hinges on the bifold doors by levering them upwards. Or are yours protected against that possibility?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:30 pm

I have no idea.  Even though I was paying her she tried to get me to park my car on the street so she couid put hers in the garage - to hide it, I assume.  It was only a few weeks later that they picked her up.  I didn’t like her from the get-go but she was a good friend of a friend of mine.

We’re long overdue for another fugitive from NOB to be corralled.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Got anyone in mind?
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:45 am

Carry Bean wrote:8 years ago when Rebecca Parrett (remember her? See below) house sat for me, she stuck an open padlock through the loops welded on the inside of my 2 metal bifold garage doors to hold the doors together in case someone tried to force them open.  In her case, she was avoiding Federal Marshalls.  A nice but basic security measure.  I recommend a battery backup for the opener which has come in handy on more than one occasion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/27/AR2010102707650.html?noredirect=on

If she wasn't in prison today, she'd probably be in charge of the Senate Finance Committee.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:18 am

ROTFLMAO!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 am

for those of us following the original title on this thread ... it would be appreciated if you would continue your conversation, but under a new title.

Thanks,
\S

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:16 pm

miendo wrote:Does anyone have the garage doors like nob? There seems to be more popping up. We were thinking of that for more clearance and viewing of traffic.
Merik garage doors are available at Home Depot, Guad. You can check via homedepot.mx, and then put garage doors (in english) in the search box.

You can get more information on this from Francisco at las Salvias Puertas (I think that's the name). They do aluminum windows, doors, metal doors, etc. Next to the pizza place, near the Casa de Plumero, west side of Ajijic. Their dad had a business to install and do the openers, etc. All speak English.

S.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Sherman wrote:
Merik garage doors are available at Home Depot, Guad.  You can check via homedepot.mx, and then put garage doors (in english) in the search box.

You can get more information on this from Francisco at las Salvias Puertas (I think that's the name).  They do aluminum windows, doors, metal doors, etc.   Next to the pizza place, near the Casa de Plumero, west side of Ajijic.  Their dad had a business to install and do the openers, etc.  All speak English.  

S.

the website for the company is Merik.com. You might have to put Merik.com.mx. I just looked at the site .... lots of doors. Don't know the price. Talk to Francisco .. he has lots of good information. He mentioned that there's problems with hardware for the products from Brazil or China, and that the US has the best product .. door and hardware.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by miendo Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks
miendo
miendo

Humor : Plenty

http://www.AjijicNews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Sherman wrote:for those of us following the original title on this thread ...  it would be appreciated if you  would continue your conversation, but under a new title.

Thanks,
\S

I think you get to decide that when you pay for advice you get here.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:13 am

Ms. Carry
The check is in the mail.....let the decisions roll. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:28 am

lol! Right on, Ms. Carry.

I have found in this world that people can be divided into 2 groups: givers or takers. Some takers even do it with attitude!

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down