INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Economic Refugees

+18
oncesubtle
RVGRINGO
slainte39
suegarn
Lucky Girl
brigitte
Gamina
cypress
Jreboll
Kiri
kiko
mattoleriver
lakeside7
Carry Bean
gringal
ferret
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Economic Refugees  - Page 3 Empty Re: Economic Refugees

Post by Carry Bean Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 am

I noticed that as well.  Not young as in 40ish though some are, but definitely younger than average retirement age.  Whatever, I hope they find their niche and too bad they wasted some of what is a tight budget  apparently money bing here but better to find out early.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Some of the cheap rents discussed are "descuentos por parientes", live on caretakers, house sitters, or other factors that as memtioned, take a lot of scouring or near impossible for aged retiring foreigners to find.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LLiving Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 am

"The law of supply and demand" applies in this case as in Ajijic, where a lot of well-off expats are willing to pay higher rent and the competition in the housing market is severe.

Fortunately there are other places in Mexico that have a relatively low living cost. I happened to see this video on youtube and this couple seems happy with their small apartment but the rent is only $150 USD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9m4dhXFyE

Cheers to all
LLiving.
LLiving
LLiving

Back to top Go down

Post by dixonge Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 am

Trailrunner wrote:The woman didn't have a car so I gave her a ride home. She had walked there but bought too much stuff and couldn't carry it home due to the fact that she broke her back falling over the cat.

She said she had been looking for a house on FB and they were too expensive so I gave her the advice on how to find a cheap rental from a Mexican family. Said she really couldn't pound the pavement due to her broken back.

Did she forget about her 'broken back' while she was filling up her shopping cart?

Kiri wrote:The economic refugees are not all newbies by any means. Some of them are from years ago, when immigration financial requirements were much lower. Now, with the higher financial requirements and the boom in the economy, wirh prices to match, many of these people can no longer afford to live here.   Not having a car, as many of these people don't, severely limits your choices. Many are good people, artists, free spirits and Bohemian types. They just got priced out. It's sad.

If you get priced out of Ajijic, that's bad luck. If you get priced out of Mexico, that's bad planning. If you can't afford Mexico you may need to think about greeting at Wal-Mart.

Kiri wrote:And without a car, how do they scout out rentals in these far flung areas. I suggest you try going without a car, and go to some of these areas to try it out for yourself.

gringal wrote:I can't imagine what people will do who have no vehicle and are priced out of the lakeside area, since the COL is higher in general NOB.  

Believe it or not, Mexico has lots of cities and other states, and many don't require vehicles. The choice isn't just between Lake Chapala and 'go home.' Very Happy

The last time we lived in San Cristobal de las Casas we were paying $285US in rent. We now live in a studio in lower Ajijic. It's smaller than our San Cris apartment, and our rent is about to go up to $625US - after next year's renovation, it will be $775US to match the two other units in this building. Guanajuato is also cheaper than Ajijic and is actually easier to walk in than drive in. There are also Tequisquiapan, Patzcuaro, etc.

Gamina wrote:My niece was in Guadalajara last year when she found cheap rent.  Her brother and his wife and baby have a rental house on Bandera in SAT that is 2 bedrooms unfurnished for 400 pesos(no dirt floors).  These rents are out there but you have to scour around for them.

Did you mean 4,000 pesos? Who rents an apartment for $20US a month??? Shocked
dixonge
dixonge

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 am

dixonge wrote:Did you mean 4,000 pesos? Who rents an apartment for $20US a month??? Shocked

Someone who doesn't live in Ajijic. ;-) Many places in Guadalajara. Many places in Ixthualacán. Many places in Hacienda La Labor, Santa Cruz or St. Nicholas. Some places in Chapala. I'm pretty sure you could pick nearly any small town not on the north shore of Lake Chapala and throw a dart and hit one.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by dixonge Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 am

merry wrote:
dixonge wrote:Did you mean 4,000 pesos? Who rents an apartment for $20US a month??? Shocked

Someone who doesn't live in Ajijic. ;-) Many places in Guadalajara. Many places in Ixthualacán. Many places in Hacienda La Labor, Santa Cruz or St. Nicholas. Some places in Chapala. I'm pretty sure you could pick nearly any small town not on the north shore of Lake Chapala and throw a dart and hit one.

Cheaper, yeah - but still - ya *gotta* add a zero or that's just crazy talk! Unless we really are talking dirt floors and no toilet...
dixonge
dixonge

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 am

I'm quite certain a $20 per month place isn't anything I would live in. Very Happy

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 am

CanuckBob wrote:I'm quite certain a $20 per month place isn't anything I would live in.  Very Happy

That's a completely different subject. ;-)

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:37 am

CanuckBob wrote:I'm quite certain a $20 per month place isn't anything I would live in.  Very Happy

You would if you had no other choice. Count your blessings, amigo.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:32 pm

merry wrote:

400 pesos a month???? lol!

You can't even rent a parking space or local for a puesto for that amount anywhere in Mexico, unless it's inaccessible. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Trailrunner wrote:

You would if you had no other choice. Count your blessings, amigo.

I guess my point is "why would anyone move here if they have to live in such a place"?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Maybe they would be homeless and on the street in the cold USA. Not many opportunities to get tortillas and beans for a daily meal on the street there.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:04 pm

400 pesos a month places abund outside of the gringo communities?? In your dreams not even in Chiapas..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 pm

That’s about what motel de paso charges per night

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:Maybe they would be homeless and on the street in the cold USA. Not many opportunities to get tortillas and beans for a daily meal on the street there.

Tongue in cheek, RV? No matter, but one thing for certain: to stay in Mexico permanently requires an income sufficient to pay rent SOMEWHERE in Mexico. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 pm

dixonge wrote:
merry wrote:

Cheaper, yeah - but still - ya *gotta* add a zero or that's just crazy talk! Unless we really are talking dirt floors and no toilet...

Yeah, add a zero. Lo siento.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3