INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bamboo Brunch

+3
Intercasa
gringal
Chapalagringa
7 posters

Go down

Bamboo Brunch Empty Bamboo Brunch

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 am

We ate at the Bamboo Brunch last Saturday. Sat & Sun 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Very good & great service. Ran into our waiter on the Chapala malecon a few days later, who also works at the Quetzal. He said the same owner owns:

Bamboo(carratera a joco after the shark)
Iguana de Piedra (carratera a Joco along the fish restaurants as well)
Quetzal(Chapala Malecon)
La Parrilla
La Presidencia

We noticed that the Quetzal, recently purchased and nicely remodeled towards the end of the malecon w/sails, also offers this same buffet. The waiter said the owner tries to run all the restaurants pretty much the same. Enjoy!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Bamboo Brunch Empty Re: Bamboo Brunch

Post by gringal Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:24 am

One of the worst brunches I've had around here was: La Parilla. High prices, indifferent food buffet. YMMV

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 am

I got deathly ill after eating there (La Parrilla loca on the malecon which recently changed its nmae to I think Quetzal) , you couldn't pay me to go there and ingest anything.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:52 am

I think that La Parrilla failed and was replaced by Quetzal.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:58 pm

But if it is the same people, i.e. cook and whoever buys the food, it is still connected to the Independencia bar, maybe the name change was only that!?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:09 pm

What are the best places to dine in Chapala?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:41 pm

David,

There is a link at the top of the page to a restaurant review blog. She has a few for Chapala and one is El Zapote - I have friends who like it a lot but I haven't eaten there. Here is the linK: http://eatinglocalatlakeside.blogspot.com/
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:48 pm

I know the GUY that writes that blog. I'm curious about places such as the "Beer Garden," Cozumel, California, Superior, the place on Madera that serves Carne en su jugo, etc..
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:26 pm

I've been to Cozumel - I have friends who love it but the evening I went there the fish was very dry and we didn't get very much for our money (and I'm not a big eater). It's been a while since I've been to California - it had zero decor when I was there but the food was probably the best I've had in Chapala - in fact it was excellent.

And oops on the guy thing.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 pm

David wrote:I know the GUY that writes that blog. I'm curious about places such as the "Beer Garden," Cozumel, California, Superior, the place on Madera that serves Carne en su jugo, etc..

"]I know the GUY that writes that blog. I'm curious about places such as the "Beer Garden," (Great view, lousy food & service, we were there over two years ago.)

Cozumel,(Love this place when the food is prepared correctly. Right on the great, malacon (sp?) of Chapala.)

California,( no opinion)

Superior, the place on Madera that serves Carne en su jugo, etc..(We really like this place for lunch, very local, good food, tad slow on service (food prep not waiters); we enjoy a Margarita so this is really not a problem for us. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm

David wrote:What are the best places to dine in Chapala?

My house! lol

My personal fav is Chac Lan for steak in the racquet club. View is breathtaking.

(Ixtlahuacan)
but for an everyday restaurant we order in Cinco Patrillos,

(San Antonio Tlayacapan):
take out Levy's seafood,
take out Tony's(coconut shrimp),
bbq'd chicken from the chicken stand next to the Coke plant & Walmart (good stuff!)

(Ajijic):
Pranzos in La Floresta
Tangos

I got deathly ill after eating there (La Parrilla loca on the malecon which recently changed its nmae to I think Quetzal) , you couldn't pay me to go there and ingest anything.
Was this after an appetizer at Senor Sushi in Ajijic? it could just be you :( I'm sorry.

We didn't care for El Zapote or Beer Garden at all. Beer Garden used to have some great shrimp tacos and then they changed it...haven't been back since. Hopefully, they changed it back, that was over a year ago. Nice looking place and great view!

Isn't it funny how someone had the worst brunch ever at Bamboo while a whole group highly recommends it to us, saying it's the best brunch around? We also ate at some place by the Ajijic malecon where the white donkey hangs out, it was ok. Allot of people like that place. I feel bad because nothing around here thrills me. I'd rather cook and eat at home. I'm even picky about which food court in Guadalajara. La Gran Plaza is better than Galarias, imo...only because they've got the best sushi stand, the only store in Guad. Whereas sushi in Galarias is a snore to wait for. But I like Italiani's better in Galarias than La Gran Plaza. Service is not timed out well at La Gran Plaza and there isn't a very good view in comparison to Galarias.

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Here's a little breakfast music to go with your brunch mariachi Dead Horse Shocked Bamboo Brunch 339824

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYqM9-Fj0Pg
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Funny, I was asking about places in Chapala. Chac Lan has a great view but over charges for everything. The food was good, the service was OK, wine and drinks were way to expensive. We were there a week ago.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:29 pm

David wrote:Funny, I was asking about places in Chapala. Chac Lan has a great view but over charges for everything. The food was good, the service was OK, wine and drinks were way to expensive. We were there a week ago.

We ate there last Sunday. Part of our group had the vacio cut and it was not tender this time. One guest figured they ordered the New York last year. In July we ate there and I ordered the vacio, it was perfectly delish. Cow must of seen the gun coming this last time. I'd opted for the arrachera, tender, but a bit on the peppery side. Didn't notice once I smothered it in chili sauce :) We didn't order drinks but drank water. Had a few laughs as our guests requested slices of lime...then one guest proceeded to ask for sugar. I couldn't help but get the giggles and told them how one lakeside resident was charged for making his own lemonade then asked to leave a restaurant! (you know who you are) :) Our waiter over heard us and still brought the sugar & sweetener. I suggested my guest order a real lemonade but they passed. We just love it up there and it's worth it for the view. Service wasn't bad at all, relaxed.

Last meal with our guests was Cinco Potrillos, an order in. Our guests said it was the best meal out of all the places we ate. Although I know they enjoyed the cappelletti at Italianni's. You should try it from the lunch special. $99 peso lunch special, includes all you can eat soup or salad & soda. Focaccia bread is usually good too! http://kronosdesign.com/italiannis/english/m_pasta2.html

I can't think of any place I'd want to eat in Chapala...so sad :(( Home! But I do get tired of cooking. Well, if someone suggests something, I'll gladly make it. Thinking of what to make is most of my problemo. Ya, ya, I can make the pizza and grilled balsamic chicken on homemade focaccia bread paninis, chicken paprikash, & soups. What else???? Carne en su jugo(bloat) :)

Last edited by Chapalagringa on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : gnilleps)
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:38 pm

Once again we’ve proven it all about personal taste. Food, service, environment etc., to each his own. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:05 am

Anyone have an opinion about Delicias (since we are talking about Chapala rather than roaming to the west?)

We ate at Delicias a few times for brunch. They had a really fine fruit plate. My complaint was that they cook the egg dishes in some kind of oil that tends to stay with you all day. Yuck. Otherwise......the food's good, the place pleasant and the prices reasonable. Open till 1 pm.

Okay.........so I have a picky tummy. I cook my egg dishes in a good grade of olive oil with a tad of butter for flavor. Tastes much better than the dubious oil some restaurants favor.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 am

Delicias is our fav. Chapala restaurant for breakfast and there are lots of dishes other than egg. Best to go Mon - Fri as the weekends are really getting busy.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:00 am

oncesubtle wrote:Delicias is our fav. Chapala restaurant for breakfast and there are lots of dishes other than egg. Best to go Mon - Fri as the weekends are really getting busy.

Yes, there are indeed. But I LIKE egg dishes.

Fact is, since we live in the Ajijic "ghetto", we walk a block over to Yves (complete with lake view and braying donkey) for a breakfast which includes eggs any way, fresh orange juice or coffee or tea, boletos or toast, fresh home fries, bacon or sausages and all this for under 65 pesos. They use good oil. Really nice staff, too.
Lunches and dinner also very good. Closed Wed.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:07 pm

What time does Yves open for bkfst?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:20 pm

David wrote:What time does Yves open for bkfst?

8 a.m. (I'm pretty sure). For 100% sure, better call. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:45 pm

gringal wrote:
oncesubtle wrote:Delicias is our fav. Chapala restaurant for breakfast and there are lots of dishes other than egg. Best to go Mon - Fri as the weekends are really getting busy.

Yes, there are indeed. But I LIKE egg dishes.

Fact is, since we live in the Ajijic "ghetto", we walk a block over to Yves (complete with lake view and braying donkey) for a breakfast which includes eggs any way, fresh orange juice or coffee or tea, boletos or toast, fresh home fries, bacon or sausages and all this for under 65 pesos. They use good oil. Really nice staff, too.
Lunches and dinner also very good. Closed Wed.
Beer

I'm not a big breakfast eater and you're making me hungry!

Where's Delicias? Since it's in my "hometown." Hubby loves breakfast, maybe I can surprise him & we can make it for an early date one morning.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:17 pm

On the carretera going East from Ajijic, several blocks before the main intersection and near the Ace hardware store. It's a brown building on the left, going East. Usually has street parking nearby. Has some lunch items as well, but closes at 1 pm.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:35 pm

oh...that one(by you know who's house)....hubbies had breakfast there and yes, said it was very good. Thanks for the heads up! ;o)

Anyone still eat at the Shrimp Shack? We used to like that place...although I don't know why. The skeeters always ate me alive and they'd always forget my order.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down