INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning mineral deposits off glass lids

+4
Trailrunner
Carry Bean
RVGRINGO
cypress
8 posters

Go down

Cleaning mineral deposits off glass lids Empty Cleaning mineral deposits off glass lids

Post by cypress Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 am

I have several metal pots and frying pans that have glass lids. A mineral deposit builds up on these lids. How can you remove this deposit? I have tried vinegar.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Cleaning mineral deposits off glass lids Empty Re: Cleaning mineral deposits off glass lids

Post by RVGRINGO Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:34 am

Muriatic acid/acido muriatico, available at ferreterias and some grocery stores.  Use with good ventilation. It will dissolve the mineral deposits, clean cement, grout and other such materials. If your toilet ring has mineral build-up, turn off the water, open the tank, lift the flapper valve, and pour a liter of acido muriatico down the hole. You will see the results coming out of the flushing holes under the toilet ring into the toilet bowl. Repeat several times to clean the ring as much as possible. You, or your maid, may use the acid to clean the toilet bowl on a regular basis, as is common in the area.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Cleaning mineral deposits off glass lids Empty Re: Cleaning mineral deposits off glass lids

Post by cypress Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 am

I was wondering about CLR or muriatic acid but the lids have handles made of shiny metal and somthing like rubber and I didn't want to damage them.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 am

First try white toothpaste with a cloth. Next try vinegar.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:55 am

CLR contains Muriatic Acid, but it is very dilute and very expensive, in comparison. Just buy acido muriatico. It will not harm your metal, plastic or rubber. In fact, you will probably be wearing rubber gloves.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:58 am

And then cook with it?!?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 am

Rinse thoroughly, then cook, then wash. It will start the mineral build-up all over again......... razberry

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:07 am

I'm reluctant to try muriatic acid in case the handles get damaged. They aren't my pots and if damaged I will never hear the end of it.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:39 am

OH well........Just put up with the minerals, or use CLR and hope it works.

Last edited by RVGRINGO on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 am

Do NOT use muriatic acid because the metal rim which holds the glass will be irreversibly damaged. Since I've made the mistake, you can trust me unless you want blackened streaked rims.

Use Vinegar and a scrubby. Then wash with soap and water and dry immediately.
BTW, I have the same pots and pans. I also do not have a dishwasher and have found the best detergent for keeping everything (including cutlery) spotfree is Axion TriCloro. However, if you don't dry reasonably quickly then the spots will develop. Rewashing with the TriCloro and a scrubbie will remove them VERY quickly.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by peteben Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:42 pm

You can also try Barkeeper's friend, preferably the cream kind. It contains oxalic acid, which is a bit stronger than vinegar, but not as corrosive as muriatic.

Pete

peteben
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:48 pm

My water is super hard and the things get coated quickly. I use vinegar, but need to let them soak for hours.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:02 pm

gringal wrote:My water is super hard and the things get coated quickly.  I use vinegar, but need to let them soak for hours.

Thanks. I guess I didn't soak them long enough.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Soaking them will help but the hard mineral surface needs to be scored to help the vinegar get underneath. With a scrubby. And then more elbow grease with a scrubbie. When you finally get them clean, you will never allow them to get that bad again.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:22 pm

I was in the cleaning biz 26 years.

Muriatic Acid, dangerous to use. If you get it on you, you can get seriously burned. Same with bowl cleaner but not as strong.

My wife puts white vinegar in the dishwasher (Florida - hard water) rinse cup. It does a great job of taking care of the mineral deposits. If you hand wash, put the vinegar in the rinse water and soak them. Plastic scrubby will help.

Glasses can be etched (turn foggy) over time and dynamite will not get it off. The hard water spots are a base soil. Meaning their alkalinity is to the high side like ammonia. You always clean an alkaline soil with an acid (bring it back to neutral like H2O). Always start with a weak acid (Vinegar) and go stronger if needed. Please avoid hydrochloric acids for safety sake.
RoyD
RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down