INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilox Status Update

+20
Canada_Mike
RickS
RVGRINGO
casi nada
lammrj
ComputerGuy
DaveP
SunFan
caligirl108
solajijic
suegarn
doc holiday
gringal
Tday
slainte39
Carry Bean
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
ferret
tkessler2
24 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ilox Status Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Ilox Status Update

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:43 pm

Both Ilox modems are the same except for the addition of the two ethernet ports. Needed for connecting to the TV, most likely, although any port will do. Most of us need more than two ports these days.

Any WiFi router/access point pretty much is going to have four.

ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 pm

lammrj wrote:No, the larger modem is no better. If I held a laptop next to their modem I got 65mbs, 5 feet away I got less than 5mbs. I purchased a router at Steren (at their techs recommendation) and am getting 30 -45 in the farthest room and 45-70 in the closer rooms and in the 30's outside. I bought the model COM 845 which had a range of 40 meters for 1300 pesos, They have a model 860 with 50 meter range at $1900 but the sales guy didn't think I needed that. Works great, don't forget to turn off the radio in the modem.

So, are you using the router as the wifi access point, and just using the Ilox modem for ethernet connections?

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:18 pm

Yes, that would be the way to do it.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by lammrj Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Yes.

lammrj

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:05 pm

With the thick walls and floors of concrete and steel, and with steel screen, etc., it is difficult to get a strong WIFI signal in a typical Mexican home.
We solved the problem by using an ethernet cable from one end of the house to another, into a casita, etc. You can have one made in any length you wish, and can even get splitters for side routes. Ask at any computer repair shop, and they can make it for you.
Drilling a hole in walls or ceilings is pretty easy: I always drilled a 1/4 inch pilot hole, going slowly and gently to 'feel for pipes or conduit', then enlarged the hoe with a 1/2" masonry bit. If you avoid concrete 'castillos', which you will feel with the small bit, it is a large enough hole to pass a cable with a plug. It can be caulked shut when the job is done. Use cable clips to secure the cable along its route.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:57 pm

If you know a computer guy, you can keep the drilled holes as narrow as the cable itself, only adding the connectors after the cable has been run. Generally, RJ45 modular plugs.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Right now, I'm still on Telmex (waiting to get hooked up to ILOX, hopefully soon!) My computer sits about six feet away from the modem with no obstructions in between them.. I did a test on Speedtest.net, then immediately did one on Fast.com. Speedtest.net shows me getting 10.71 mbps, while Fast.com shows me only getting 7.16 mbps.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:01 am

I'm still happy with ILOX. It never goes down qnd right now sitting outside away from the modem I'm getting 23 down and 8.7 up. My guests were thrilled with the higher speeds.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:18 am

suegarn, as has been stated just because speedtest.net shows that you are getting 10.71 does not, unfortunately, mean that you really are. One can use half a dozen speed tests within a few moments of each other and get sometimes wildly varying results.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:02 am

ILOX recommends fast.com for speed tests.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 am

"At the moment, Netflix's Fast.com is the only major service-specific speed test available. It measures your download speed by testing your connection between your device and Netflix's servers. It's important to note that "Netflix's servers" refers to the servers they use in their content delivery system called Open Connect, which is a way for ISPs to more easily deliver Netflix content to their customers."

"All things considered, SpeedOf.Me is the best non-ISP internet speed test available. The best thing about this internet speed test service is that it works via HTML5, which is built-in to your browser, instead of Flash or Java, two plugins you'll need to have installed already. On most computers, this makes SpeedOf.Me faster to load and less of a burden on system resources...and almost certainly more accurate. SpeedOf.Me utilizes 80+ servers around the world and your internet speed test is run from the quickest and most reliable one at the given time."

A truly accurate speed test depends on downloading large files, which allows the testing software to average out the speed. Speedof.me does this, but I used to go to tucows.com and just download a huge file.

For serious results using various Provider tests, just pick three or four and run them two or three times, and see which ones show the most similar results. Like when you go to buy a thermometer: check several of them to see which ones match up.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:51 am

My Ilox was hooked up a few days ago. Current speeds.....with Fast.com...32 Mbps.....with Speedtest.net.....38 Mbps. Much better than what I was getting through Telmex, which was usually 10 Mbps. I'm a happy camper! Very Happy

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:43 pm

I have it, and am thrilled. I got to every web site I want. Down using speedtest app is 75, up is 23.

Mostly, though is just works!!!!
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 am

My speeds are great, and even though my house is large and has thick walls it works everywhere. However. I'd still like to get an extender to make it stronger on my porch. I'm leaving soon, so prefer Steren. What's recommended?

Also,, can someone point me to a thread about TV boxes? Now that I've reliable wifi I'd like to drop Shaw.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 pm

The phone you use must be plugged into the Ilox "modem", so when the power is out, the phone is too.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:13 pm

IFibre guy was up the cfe pole in front of my house yesterday morning, he said service will be available in a couple of months. Saw them all over SA this morning. TelMex too! Let the internet wars begin.

Telecable was up that pole this morning and I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the IFibre lines!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:58 pm

Guys were working at the Racquet Club on Tuesday

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomgates Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:54 am

Ilox was installed yesterday. I am in Ajijic centro. Near the modem, I am getting 65 down and 24 up. Farther away in another room, I get more than half that. In 3 days my existing Telmex number will be transferred to Ilox.

Tomgates

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:10 am

Tomgates, you may want to think twice about transferring the number and take notice of what Helperguy posted above.
At the current time, you can access your Telmex telephone line WITHOUT electricity if you just plug the phone jack into its outlet. You would, of course, need an idiot phone (from Walmart) to do that.
With the iLox system, the phone plugs into your modem. If the electricity is out then you will have no phone.
For the 189 pesos per month that Telmex will charge for just the phone line, I will pay it for emergency situations when the electricity is out. Worth it imho.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:20 am

That's not necessarily true. The phone line jack in the modem might not require electricity and could be a direct passthrough. Is there someone else out there the with a corded phone connected to an Ilox modem that can do a test. Unplug the modem and see a if the phone still works?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:29 am

Why can't you try it CBob. You're connected aren't you? Or do you only have telephones that require electricity? I will loan my idiot phone to check it out.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:42 am

I'm going to guess that the phone service is Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), which means it requires the Internet. If there is no power to the Ilox modem, the phone can't work. It's not connected to a Plain Old Telephone System (POTS). Anyone with Ilox phone service can test this by turning off the modem. (I don't have Ilox; I don't need it for the speed, where I am. But I will be signing up so I can offer support in future.)

However, I've sent a question to Ilox tech support to ascertain the details.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am

ferret wrote:Why can't you try it CBob. You're connected aren't you? Or do you only have telephones that require electricity? I will loan my idiot phone to check it out.

Yes, I have cordless phones that require electricity. My neighbor has a corded one so maybe I'll borrow it later today and try it out.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:04 am

At this point I am keeping my Telmex line so I can have two phone numbers.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:08 am

ferret wrote:Tomgates, you may want to think twice about transferring the number and take notice of what Helperguy posted above.
At the current time, you can access your Telmex telephone line WITHOUT electricity if you just plug the phone jack into its outlet. You would, of course, need an idiot phone (from Walmart) to do that.
With the iLox system, the phone plugs into your modem. If the electricity is out then you will have no phone.
For the 189 pesos per month that Telmex will charge for just the phone line, I will pay it for emergency situations when the electricity is out. Worth it imho.

I'm not seeing the issue here.  Buy a cheap cellphone and "problem solved".

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:26 am

The issue is NO electricity. I have a cellphone too. Shit happens.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next