INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ILOX observations on 300 down package

+5
casi nada
ltollefs
ComputerGuy
CanuckBob
Zedinmexico
9 posters

Go down

ILOX observations on 300 down package Empty ILOX observations on 300 down package

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:57 am

When we were shutdown the other day ILOX came back with an access speed of 28 instead of 50. Same as Telmex DSL. One problem fixed.

We are now approaching speeds that MY WIFI can't deal with. If I plug in with a lan cable I get 80 and up depending on load. Best I can get on WIFI is 60 or so most of the time less than 30. Now I turn off ILOX WIFI and use another Access point box WIFI that allows SMA antennnas and higher power. So does the connection to the access point slow it down or does WIFI have limits?? I am curious.

Upload speeds are much higher than DSL so if you want to upload go with ILOX not DSL. Most people would not care about slow upload speeds. Did Telmex raise the upload speeds with the new fiber?? Current DSL is 10 down and .5 up at least at my house with the old wired connections.

Yes the Global streaming box needs a public IP as other posts have talked about. Still have my box on Telmex DSL which works fine.

Remember bandwidth is shared! Thats why Bob saw speeds all over the place in one of his posts. Ilox behaves more like cable modem than DSL.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

ILOX observations on 300 down package Empty Re: ILOX observations on 300 down package

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:02 am

I have the small package of 40 down. The only way I get that is direct connection with a short cat 5 cable otherwise via wifi I'm usually betweem 20 and 30 down and 8 to 10 up. Far faster than my telmex ever was for basically the same price.

Now I probably wouldn't be too happy if I was paying for the 300 package and only getting 60 or so.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

ILOX observations on 300 down package Empty Re: ILOX observations on 300 down package

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:42 am

It is going to be awhile before I have enough hands-on experience with iLox installs to answer this question of "varying speed". I do know of one fellow who gets 280 down pretty steadily.

To answer the multi-part throughput question. For ethernet, which is when using cables from your modem, there are several standards of wiring. Cat5 is the "oldest", while Cat 6 and 7 are capable of carrying much higher speeds. Cat5 tops out at 100Mbps, but that is a theoretical cap... usually it will be much less. And the port on your computer is either 100 or Gigabit, with the 100 only allowing 100 tops regardless of the cable, while the Gigabit purportedly (see what I did there?) allows up to 1000Mbps.

Ethernet cable is usually stamped with the category number.

The speed tests on your device when connected via ethernet are much more representative of your actual speeds. iLox modems are not very good with WiFi to begin with. More on this later.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:30 am

Not to forget that a switch that claims support for 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps, unless it is high end equipment, will NOT achieve the stated throughputs. The back-plane of these off-the-shelf SOHO switches (and other equipment) will connect to other 100Mbps or 1Gbps rated pieces of equipment at those respective speeds, but is not capable of transferring data at those speeds. You get what you pay for. For example, early Cisco 1 Gig fiber based SONET cards would only push 400Mbps (they did eventually work out the bugs). Now Cisco has available HDWDM cards that will push 400 Gbps. Each card goes for about half a million US dollars, so not something you'll likely find under the Christmas Tree. Please note: this is just an interface card, you still need a router chassis to put it into, some of which are the size of a refrigerator. Also, remember that the internet backbone does not run over Ethernet; there other technologies that support that side of things. The aforementioned SONET is but one, ATM is another.  

...and I distinctly recall terminating CAT-3 cable. Grey cladding, solid core. Horrible.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:17 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I have the small package of 40 down. The only way I get that is direct connection with a short cat 5 cable otherwise via wifi I'm usually betweem 20 and 30 down and 8 to 10 up. Far faster than my telmex ever was for basically the same price.

Now I probably wouldn't be too happy if I was paying for the 300 package and only getting 60 or so.

60 was the WIFI.  Lan cable connected was double or more.   No I never expected to get 300. I know better.  

Somebody asked me why I got 300 service and the answer is I have three people living in house and all of them can be streaming also 24/7 audio stream, VOIP phone.  Even my solar panels are even connected to the internet.  So why not when I can spread part of the cost to my roomie in the casita.

Somebody told me that ILOX WIFI is weaker than Telmex current WIFI modem.   They had to add an access point.   Any other data? I use external A.Point for WIFI.

My wire is all cat 5 FYI.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 am

A friend recently had their 300mbps installed. With direct connection they get 280mbps. 30 feet away they get 20mbps.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am

CanuckBob wrote:A friend recently had their 300mbps installed. With direct connection they get 280mbps. 30 feet away they get 20mbps.

I had the same problem and solved it by purchasing this router and setting it up as a Wireless Access Point:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1900-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B07NF3K74H/ref=pd_cp_147_1?pd_rd_w=6Tkw7&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=NCPQEG7TP1V2A4GH1WFT&pd_rd_r=6c9a6d9a-de95-4d36-bde4-ddca56671392&pd_rd_wg=xtVyj&pd_rd_i=B07NF3K74H&psc=1&refRID=NCPQEG7TP1V2A4GH1WFT

Before adding the router I was getting 118mbps connected but only about 50mbps on wifi. Now I get around 95 on the wifi. I also have a direct line-of-sight access to the router.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes, that is what I suggested to them

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tkessler2 Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:50 pm

I´ve got the 250 Ilox package with 1gb switches and 4 Ubiquiti AC-Pro access points.  I turned off the wifi in my Ilox router.  I  agree the wifi out of that box is awful.  A couple of my computers are hardwired with the switches and have 1Gb network ports and fairly recent processors.   When I speed test with Fast.com, I usually get 300-350 Mbps and its peaked as high as 700.  If you are maxing out hardwired with 250 service at 80 or so you've probably got a 100 Mbps port connection somewhere..sometimes a 1gb port won´t connect at 1Gb.     Most wifi access point will choke above 50-60 Mbps unless they are MIMO ( multiple in-out) version that have multiple beams.  Wifi speeds drop with distance.  If you have an Android phone, install Wifi Analyzer and look at your signal level...It needs to be above about -60 for a decent speed.  

Within Ilox network not much bandwidth is shared.  The network capacity is huge.  Where it becomes shared it at the gateway to other carriers, and often where it chokes is with other carriers.  Ilox actually has  more capacity on their link to the states (via Cogent) than they do to other MX networks (via Marcatel).  They peer directly with Google, Facebook, and Netflix, those services will always be fast.   If you want to get an idea of speeds, try the toast.net speed test.  Select customer tools and Blue Angels, then try the different options. The Toast.net (KS) test usually screams while the Windows Azure is a lot slower.  But both of these connections transit through Gogent network where Ilox has plenty of bandwidth.   What all this means is you have to really be careful when you observe your connection as slow.  It could be your cable, port type, crappy wifi link, or some carrier beyond Ilox.  If you fix the first 3, and pick say a streaming service on a network with good speed test results, you´ll should never  have an issue.

tkessler2

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 am

Thanks for the additional info.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jsringo Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:37 am

Is there anyway to find out when an ilox installation will take place. I would like to know so I don't have to sit home for a month waiting (i live alone) for the install to take place. I asked the young lady in the ilox office and she said she could not even look it up. I live next to the Racquet Club in San Juan Cosala.
jsringo
jsringo

Humor : dry I am told by many

http://sites.google.com/view/portraitbywayne

Back to top Go down

Post by jsringo Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:49 pm

I went back to the ilox office and asked when my install would be and they told me Friday. Needless to say, I was somewhat pleased.
jsringo
jsringo

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:43 am

Friday is mañana, maybe, possibly, or not.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Yes, let us know if that schedule is accurate. That office, in the past, gave out installation dates that had no resemblance to reality. You will get it when you get it.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jsringo Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Come to think of it she did not say which Friday.
jsringo
jsringo

Back to top Go down

Post by jsringo Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Reminds me of my younger days when I was a production scheduler. I would make a schedule and production would produce anything as long as it was not on my schedule.
jsringo
jsringo

Back to top Go down

Post by jsringo Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Mañana actually came and so did Ilox!! I now have the world at the literal tip of my fingers.
jsringo
jsringo

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Mañana can never come, now that 'hoy' is here. Therefore, mañana will always be just a conceptual possibility.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down