INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know where to purchase woven wooden fish baskets?

+5
brigitte
Canada_Mike
ComputerGuy
RVGRINGO
Cincy
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone know where to purchase woven wooden fish baskets? Empty Anyone know where to purchase woven wooden fish baskets?

Post by Cincy Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 am

I'm looking for 5 large woven wooden fish baskets to hang in our garden tree. I will put electric lights bulbs inside similar to what you see in the big trees in Chapala.

There's a local lady on the carretera near El Torito who sells them along with an assortment of baskets but they seem poorly made and expensive.

Tonila, Tlaquepaque, Jocotepec would not be too far to travel. Any ideas?

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where to purchase woven wooden fish baskets? Empty Re: Anyone know where to purchase woven wooden fish baskets?

Post by RVGRINGO Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:46 am

Tonila and Tonalá are two different places; both in Jalisco.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where to purchase woven wooden fish baskets? Empty Re: Anyone know where to purchase woven wooden fish baskets?

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:29 am

So helpful.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 am

Yes, Joco. As you drive into town, just past the bypass turnoff on the right, keep your eyes peeled on the left. And a little farther up on the right before the first light. If you don't see them, ask around in that area.
I've always wanted to make lights out of them too.

BTW, all the things I've ever stopped to price on the carretera in Ajijic - from hammocks to brooms - have been ridiculously Ajijic priced. I never bother anymore.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:52 pm

There's also a place as you go through San Juan on the carretara.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:59 pm

You're right, Mike.
You mean in that place on the right, close to the light, that has baskets, hampers, unfinished pine furniture, etc?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am

That's the one. I bought a molcajete there last year.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:05 am

Trailrunner wrote:Yes, Joco. As you drive into town, just past the bypass turnoff on the right, keep your eyes peeled on the left. And a little farther up on the right before the first light. If you don't see them, ask around in that area.

Drove down to Joco yesterday but couldn't find anyone selling fish baskets.  Stopped at 3 different businesses and asked but no one knew of any place in Joco. San Luis Soyatlan, El Chante, San Juan Cosala and Ajijic were the collective ideas of where to check.

Stopped at the basket/somberro shop in San Juan Cosala but they had only two small purpose made lamp shapes...

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am

Hmm, that's too bad. How about going around asking the fishermen in different villages? Somebody makes them! We've become so gentrified perhaps there's no market for them anymore. Ask the fishermen.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 am

Have you seen fisherman use those? I used to walk the bank of the lake when there was one and there is a fisherman's camp near Canancinta, I have never seen them use those traps.. Has anyone seen fishermen use them?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 am

Not I.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:20 am

No. I've never seen them use them either.

Go to the fish camps and ask around. Somebody might make them or know someone who does. End of La Cristina is a fish camp. End of Puerto Corona in Soyatlan is a big one. Ask in Mezcala down at the lake.

Aren't they made of reeds or bamboo, not wood? Maybe they can't get the raw materials anymore . . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:50 am

yes they are made of some type of reed ot bamboo.. the type that looks like wicker which I guess is a type of wood.. I think they could still get the material but these things are really bulky and maybe the nets work just as well. Do not know.. Or may be the type of fish they used to catch in those have disappeared.. who knows.. The fishermen would know..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:54 am

I wouldn't ask anyone anything in Mezcala.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:56 pm

why? Not so friendly?.. They seem that way but I once broke down late in the day in San Pedro, past Mezcla and everyone help me for a propina of course but they did help me..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Nope, I find the place creepy and unwelcoming to strangers, particularly gringos. I have seen militia type guys with an assortment of weapons driving around in what looked like either a stolen old police truck or an abandoned one. Anyhow it's on my list of places to avoid. I always trust my gut and street sense.....and of course if you still choose to go down into the town you will be swarmed by little street rats looking for money or trying to pick your pockets. I dont mind San Pedro at all. Nice town with friendly people like most in Mexico.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:58 pm

The Mezcala people always had a very bad reputation.. I translate a text from the 18 or 19th century and already the person writing about the area who saying that the people from Mezcala were aggressive and difficult..so it is not from yesterday..I never had a bad experience there but they are very much like the indigenous from Chiapas, not open to strangers and they let you know that you are not particularly welcome..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:02 pm

Yep, they do. And for that reason I give them their space too.

I have a friend, and ex-co-worker, there and have had a few good times but I have never felt very comfy driving into or around town. Never had a problem tho.

Yes, same as I felt in rural Chiapas. I don't blame them.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:11 am

brigitte wrote:Have you seen fisherman use those? I used to walk the bank of the lake when there was one and there is a fisherman's camp near Canancinta, I have never seen them use those traps.. Has anyone seen fishermen use them?

I have never heard of them being used by fishers either.  They used to be very popular as light coverers when there wasn´t any lighting or lamp stores in this area,  I think they were just decorative items used out of necessity and the decorators just called them fish traps for lack of a better word.  Lamp stores were a long way off over bad roads 30/40 years ago, so this is what was popular then. Now, with all the availability of lighting, I think their time has passed. There is probably someone in the area that could still make them if you knew where to look and that they would be inclined to do it but I don´t think it would be anyone of the younger generations.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:37 am

Drove around the lake yesterday, past Joco, to San Pedro to meet Carlos Torres who's father made the real fish traps and, I was told, could make whatever size I wanted. Unfortunately his father had died more than 3 years ago. In the trees around his house hung brand new gill nets which are far more efficient than the old fish traps. Tonala next!

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:55 am

I'm admiring your perseverance, Cindy. Keep us posted on your search. Suerte.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:04 am

Yay for The Hunt! There is nothing as satisfying as the pursuit and fulfillment of an idea.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 am

If this is what you're looking for, then you now have a photo to show...

https://shop.nomasproductions.com/Basket-Lights_c_185.html

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:57 am

I am forever looking for artisans for the feria. One thing to do is ask the family who used to make it who else in the village or area may still make them.. That does not always work for various reason so it is good to ask older people you see on the street as well or city hall in small villages. Another place that may know is La casa de artesanía.. Someone in purchasing may have some record of where they are or were made..
The ones in the internet may be made in indonesia or somewhere in the far East..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Found exactly what I was looking for in Tonala!

These fish traps are fairly authentic.  With bait and stones to sink them they could catch tilapia in Lake Chapala.  There were many different sizes available up to 1 metre long.

Anyone know where to purchase woven wooden fish baskets? Img_9610

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next