INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoarding stupidity

+13
SunshineyDay
NoVaDamer
ComputerGuy
Jreboll
HoneyBee
cypress
ferret
windrider17
Lucky Girl
CHILLIN
Trailrunner
RVGRINGO
CanuckBob
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hoarding stupidity Empty Hoarding stupidity

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 am

I usually go to Wal-Mart at 8:00am to avoid the traffic and crowds. There is normally me and a few other customers. Today it was crowded like it was noon. The store looked like it had been looted yesterday. People carts are piled high with water, toilet paper, canned goods, etc.

WTF is with these people? Do they think Wal-Mart (and all the others) are going to shut down for a few months????

I stood in line for 20 minutes with my 12 items............. Blackeye

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Hoarding stupidity Empty Re: Hoarding stupidity

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:13 am

It appears that people are worried that the supply chain has been interrupted, and that re-stocking may be a problem. We don't consume much that does not originate in China or India, including the medications that keep some of us alive.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:23 am

Last time I looked my toilet paper and bottled water didn't come from China or India. This is what they are hoarding the most. I didn't see any lineup at the RX counter.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:36 am

Bob, RV is probably talking about the U.S. since that is where he lives now. Be well, RVG!

I don't see a reason to hoard either except being self-sufficient for the next couple of months is probably a very good idea. Avoiding tourists and travelers, crowds, confined public places and sick people also good ideas. But, TP? What's up with hoarding TP?

I thought we'd have no problem with water delivery until I realized there could be service problems if many of the delivery guys became sick and don't work.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:41 pm

I liked it where a local newspaper starting print blanks pages within their publication. With the state of many newspapers in Mexico (blood, guts and gossip rags), publishers may do the same, actually making something worthwhile for their readers.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Bob, RV is probably talking about the U.S. since that is where he lives now. Be well, RVG!

I don't see a reason to hoard either except being self-sufficient for the next couple of months is probably a very good idea. Avoiding tourists and travelers, crowds, confined public places and sick people also good ideas. But, TP? What's up with hoarding TP?

I thought we'd have no problem with water delivery until I realized there could be service problems if many of the delivery guys became sick and don't work.

The TP and bottled water in the US doesn't come from China or India either. I can understand stocking up on your meds. The young local water delivery guys will hardly notice any symptoms. A great number of people who are diagnosed positive are reporting the same thing. Barely noticeable........
They should be shutting down the LCS though.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Girl Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Thanks for the warning, CB! I was planning to do my monthly shopping at WM next week, but I may skip that, depending on how the parking lot looks as i drive by on the way to Riberas for pet food, I can't get it in Tizapan anymore.

Lucky Girl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:59 pm

I got my wine, to hell with the TP.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:09 pm

This may be what's happening... grifters, gougers and others.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he-has-17700-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer-and-nowhere-to-sell-them/ar-BB11blvS

It's fine that e-bay and Amazon have stopped them from selling BUT the products are still needed. How disgusting is it to profit from others' misfortune?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:19 pm

In my local Home Depot, a couple bought most of a truck load of hand sanitizers for profit. Very selfish! We hope they get stuck with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Or the couple in Australia who thought they had bought 48 rolls, but it turns out they accidently ordered 48 boxes, worth over $3,000 aus.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:42 pm

I was at the old Costco in Guadalajara Thursday. No parking places even thought you have to pay to park. People were double parked. I walked out of the store with nothing as it was a zoo with huge lineups.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBee Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Well about 3 weeks ago I went and bought enough non perishable foods to last me about 2 months. My thinking at the time and I already said it several times on this board that if China is locking down cities larger then Guadalajara then there is something more serious going on. Look at Europe now, the entire continent is pretty much in lock down. Also, keep in mind that a recession is coming. Just think about all the people loosing there jobs (mortgage payment, car payment you name it). How the hell are schools going to catch up. Think about it, we are a little over 3 months before graduations. The preparatorios will most probably not be open on Tuesday, Universities in Guadalajara are already closed. The Simapa guy I talked to today said that the Monday Tiangy will most probably be next. Feel free to down play this virus, the Chinese doctor who sounded the alarm was young and now dead. Anyway enough said its time for a nice cold Corona Beer

HoneyBee
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:15 pm

I started stocking up in January and mentioned it here. Now I’m sitting pretty. I saw that some didn’t want to talk about it. To each his own.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:24 pm

Well thats good. I won't expect to see you at Wal-Mart next week.

BTW.....they have no issues getting food or meds in any of the locked down cities it just means no one in or out there except for delivery trucks.  Hoarders cause the issues.......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:06 pm

The supply chain often has nothing to do with foreign goods. WalMart introduced "on demand" inventory. I worked for a company that created the first viable on-line ordering system, which ties in with that method.

On-demand simply means having enough inventory in the chain, from the manufacturer to the warehouse to the retail outlets. When the unexpected demand occurs, this chain keeps things running smoothly. If suddenly every kid wants a new bike in springtime, the system is designed for that. But when everybody decides that facial tissues are the next big thing (to wit: empty shelves at Soriana today), the supply chain can't recover fast enough.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by NoVaDamer Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:23 pm

There is no reason for hoarding TP. It happens when people who are not prepared suddenly decide to go get prepared. They don't have a plan, they just go to the store (with a thousand other people who are just as clueless) and think "Man, if I have to sh*t, and don't have TP, that would be awful!" And they but enough for a few months.

People who are prepared have a small stockpile of key things (like meds, water, etc) all the time. When a crisis like this breaks out, it was obvious to go stock up earlier. I went two weeks back and stocked up with non-perishables.

The challenge here (and in other developing countries) is what happens to services when the pandemic hits. How long will the water keep flowing when no one shows up at SIMAPA? How long before a trash truck comes by? When (not if) will the power stop? And of course, for how long?

You can't really prepare for an extreme outcome, but you can set aside enough supplies to cover a week or so.
NoVaDamer
NoVaDamer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Si!

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:28 pm

Everyone needs to read up on the virus. It really only affects those who are susceptible (elderly and immune suppressed). Nothing is going to close down for more than a few days, if even that. Not likely everyone who works for simipa or the CFE are going to be hospitalized. Most will show up to work with minor symptoms. Mexico won't do much to contain it IMO........they still say there are only 20 or so cases here. Not likley. There is more likely thousands but they don't have the ability to even test for it.

If you feel susceptible stay home, avoid others and wash you hands regularly. That is what the WHO recommends.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Hmmmm! Let us hope so CB.

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:12 pm

One of the things to consider are the 2bell curves. One is rapid onset with a rapid decline which will overwhelm medical facilities and providers and will consequently result in a higher mortality rate. The other bell curve has a gradual increase that will result in a prolonged event but will not overwhelm the help available and maybe have a lower mortality rate. They say this prolonged bell curve can be accomplished by self isolating.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am

Let's hope they develop a vaccine sooner than later. I hear there are a few RX companies getting really close.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:46 am

but then....

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-12/why-does-it-take-so-long-to-make-a-coronavirus-vaccine
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:48 am

CanuckBob wrote:Everyone needs to read up on the virus. It really only affects those who are susceptible (elderly and immune suppressed).

CB, I would take issue with your analysis of "ONLY"  For sure it appears to be striking the elderly more than the very young, but......
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Girl Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:17 am

As far as the vaccine goes, this article about what the bastard in the White House is trying to do nearly had me have a stroke, I got so mad:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/coronavirus-germany-tries-to-stop-us-luring-away-firm-seeking-vaccine.html

It is all about the money and glory for him.
I swear, if that s.o.b had a health emergency in front of me I'd forget all I learned about aiding a person.

\\\

Lucky Girl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:22 am

I’ve always felt that Trump has held back testing kits to avoid the publicity of what they would show. The number of pts with corona virus is probably much, much higher.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next