INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our attitude toward shutdowns

+8
Mordita63
RickS
ComputerGuy
SunshineyDay
Lady Otter Latté
ferret
CanuckBob
Zedinmexico
12 posters

Go down

Our attitude toward shutdowns Empty Our attitude toward shutdowns

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:31 pm

Is it normal for folks to be addicted to electricity or internet? Yes CFE is replacing poles and just cut my ILOX Fiber two days ago ( ILOX was great in response to this FYI). We are out of electricity at least once a week for a few hours as they replace poles. So I go sit outside and read a book for a few hours. Now I know some of us have medical equipment that needs AC to work and I understand general frustration but are people really as upset as some of the posts show?? What am I not getting? Maybe I remember the old days when internet died when it rained and electrical shutdown was multiple times a week for long periods of time. Why are you folks that upset? Not trying to stir up things just trying to understand.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Our attitude toward shutdowns Empty Re: Our attitude toward shutdowns

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:34 pm

Who's upset?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:05 pm

I'm certainly not upset but living in Mexico for a long time means that you have back ups to your backups. I have two sources of internet and a cell phone for a hotspot, an idiot phone for direct hook up to Telmex, a kindle, a rechargeable fan, four rechargeable lights, a portable recharger for my cell phone and a larger rechargeable battery pack (Jackery) for everything else... and a tinaco.
Even my garage door has a manual unlocking system.
Riberas had six days in the summer 2018 from 9 am to 6 pm. when the power was out completely and a number of half days while poles were being replaced. No outages since. It's worth it.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Where are you encountering the upset people?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:32 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Where are you encountering the upset people?

I am tired of no electricity is one thing people say. I hear it all over. Oh man the power is out again. I read negativity on the other website relating to outages.
So I come home to no power or internet and its like ok well I guess I can read or work in the yard. Others seem so negative in the same situation. Sure I understand folks who can't work or such.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:44 pm

ferret wrote:I'm certainly not upset but living in Mexico for a long time means that you have back ups to your backups. I have two sources of internet and a cell phone for a hotspot, an idiot phone for direct hook up to Telmex, a kindle, a rechargeable fan, four rechargeable lights, a portable recharger for my cell phone and a larger rechargeable battery pack (Jackery) for everything else... and a tinaco.
Even my garage door has a manual unlocking system.
Riberas had six days in the summer 2018 from 9 am to 6 pm. when the power was out completely and a number of half days while poles were being replaced. No outages since. It's worth it.

At one time I had a Telmex phone, a Nettalk US VOIP phone, an Ilox phone and a cell phone so I get what you say LOL. Trying in my new house in SAT to not be so nutty but I can't say an Ilox phone is any good compared to a Telmex phone and no Telmex phones available in SE SAT so we use a cell phone now. Must admit Ilox phone works better than it use to but it still drops calls. Learned something the other day from the CFE pole replacement where they cut my fiber that Ilox phone still gives you dialtone so don't use it as a judge if Ilox is working. I am glad to hear that the power outages are worth it for better CFE service.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Bored may be a more accurate description?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:56 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Learned something the other day from the CFE pole replacement where they cut my fiber that Ilox phone still gives you dialtone so don't use it as a judge if Ilox is working.  I am glad to hear that the power outages are worth it for better CFE service.

I don't see how that can be. No fibre input, no VOIP. That iLox phone has to have Internet. If your phone is working, you have Internet. It's like unplugging a lamp. It can't come on, period.

Last edited by ComputerGuy on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:59 pm

It occurs to me that anyone using a cell phone around here, because they can't get basic telephone service from TelMex, shows another gaping hole in TelMex's logic. The entire time I've lived here they have simply refused to upgrade their infrastructure. But, in the same way they refused to add VOIP to their modems, and then were ordered to stop charging for Long Distance, they blew all that future income. If they would have just installed landlines where they needed to over the last 15 years, they'd have tons more customers paying their monthly nut. Really, truly short-sighted.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:45 pm

ComputerGuy wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Learned something the other day from the CFE pole replacement where they cut my fiber that Ilox phone still gives you dialtone so don't use it as a judge if Ilox is working.  I am glad to hear that the power outages are worth it for better CFE service.

I don't see how that can be. No fibre input, no VOIP. That iLox phone has to have Internet. If your phone is working, you have Internet. It's like unplugging a lamp. It can't come on, period.

Blinking red LOS (loss of signal) light on Ilox modem and pick up the phone and you get dialtone.  Every number you dial ends up with a busy signal but you really do have dialtone.  Never seen it on any other VOIP phone.  Really not kidding.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Oh, that will happen with VOIP... the dial tone is being 'provided" by the little box you have plugged into your modem. So one can seemingly have a good circuit... but not... but having no Internet signal you don't really have a phone connection because your 'box' fooled you.

With POTS.... old Ma Bell land lines... if one got a dial tone it was coming from the central office and your service was at least good to there.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordita63 Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:32 am

You think YOU have it bad...listen to these folks!!

https://youtu.be/vN2WzQzxuoA

Our attitude toward shutdowns 851398
Mordita63
Mordita63

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:00 am

?????????
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:59 pm

RickS wrote:Oh, that will happen with VOIP... the dial tone is being 'provided" by the little box you have plugged into your modem. So one can seemingly have a good circuit... but not... but having no Internet signal you don't really have a phone connection because your 'box' fooled you.

With POTS.... old Ma Bell land lines... if one got a dial tone it was coming from the central office and your service was at least good to there.

No VOIP is built into modem. Two phone jacks on back of modem No external box like my nettalk box which does plug into modem.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:04 pm

While under quarantine its a good time to binge watch "The Walking Dead". Our virus ain't so bad......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Before Carlos Slim bought the Telmex disaster for pennies, as a favor to the power elite, you had to own shares in Telmex in order to get a landline. I believe it was around $3,000 US. If you wanted to call international long distance, in Puerto Vallarta at least, you had to go to an office downtown, you were placed in a cubicle until the operators could connect your call., Sort of Lilly Tomlin style- one ringy dingy, two ringy dingy, etc.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:46 pm

I remember that well. Sitting on the floor in long lines in farmacias to get in those cubicles in beach towns in the 60's.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Heck, you still had to do that here most of the time, 15 years ago... but it was little dedicated tienditas, not farmacias.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:19 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
RickS wrote:Oh, that will happen with VOIP... the dial tone is being 'provided" by the little box you have plugged into your modem. So one can seemingly have a good circuit... but not... but having no Internet signal you don't really have a phone connection because your 'box' fooled you.

No VOIP is built into modem. Two phone jacks on back of modem  No external box like my nettalk box which does plug into modem.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the iLOX modem just has the "external VOIP box" built in and if so what I said still applies. I know that is the case with my ARRIS cable Internet modem/VOIP device. It even has a battery built in so if I lose power the phone will still work.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by K2tog Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Is it normal for folks to be addicted to electricity or internet?  Yes CFE is replacing poles and just cut my ILOX Fiber two days ago ( ILOX was great in response to this FYI). We are out of electricity at least once a week for a few hours as they replace poles. So I go sit outside and read a book for a few hours.  Now I know some of us have medical equipment that needs AC to work and I understand general frustration but are people really as upset as some of the posts show??  What am I not getting? Maybe I remember the old days when internet died when it rained and electrical shutdown was multiple times a week for long periods of time. Why are you folks that upset?  Not trying to stir up things just trying to understand.

I believe ILOX was out because tree trimmers were cutting trees in the area where the lines were cut...just an FYI
K2tog
K2tog

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:38 pm

First visit to Ajijic in 73 had to call from the phone storefront mid-block of Colon just south of Hidalgo. In 2004 it was still there for a while. There was a bookstore that let you make a local call for a very small fee if you were travelling thru town, in the 90s.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down