INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Download or stream old movies?

+14
mattoleriver
SunFan
Plan B
Jreboll
TomQC
DuckieHoomever
juanrey
HoneyBee
Trailrunner
MexicoPete
ComputerGuy
CanuckBob
ferret
CHILLIN
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Download or stream old movies? - Page 2 Empty Re: Download or stream old movies?

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 06, 2020 9:14 am

DuckieHoomever wrote:I've been using uTorrent to download for ages because it's kinda been an industry standard forever. After reading a couple comments here - CBob using Qbit, Ferret downloading a 42-minute show in minutes, I decided to check out qbit. I'm friggin' stunned! Qbit downloads TEN TIMES faster than utorrent for me!! This is the coolest news I've had in months. Thanks y'all!
No problema. Being a pirate from the early days I have tried almost all the torrent software. Been using Qbit for about 3 years now with no complaints. With Ilox I downloaded a 13gb series in about 30 minutes. Telmex would have been hours.....

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Download or stream old movies? - Page 2 Empty Re: Download or stream old movies?

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 06, 2020 9:21 am

So what is the consensus out there? Roku or Firestick. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. I have an Xbox one which has a multitude of streaming apps but not the good ones that everyone is talking about. I want one that can plug into an hdmi port.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Wed May 06, 2020 9:39 am

I have both, each trying to outdo each other. It all depends what’s streaming where you are or in my case what I can piggy back from my kids. I personally like the Roku that has a jack on the side for ear phones. I can hear better with them and can turn up the volume without disturbing others.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed May 06, 2020 10:13 am

I definitely prefer the Roku to the Firestick. It cannot be rigged like the Firestick, but it is as solid as a rock, and gets pretty much anything that is available. The Firestick, if it isn't "fixed", is very limited and has an overly-simple interface that doesn't let you do much else.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Wed May 06, 2020 11:32 am

Have Roku, Firestick and Android TV boxes, prefer Firestick 4K for viewing programs. If interested in other Internet issues, then I
switch to TV box. Use to have Shaw, lots of $ for very few channels. Now I have unlimited access to every programming available.
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 06, 2020 12:14 pm

ComputerGuy wrote:I definitely prefer the Roku to the Firestick. It cannot be rigged like the Firestick, but it is as solid as a rock, and gets pretty much anything that is available. The Firestick, if it isn't "fixed", is very limited and has an overly-simple interface that doesn't let you do much else.
I just pulled the trigger on a Roku from Amazon. $899 pesos. I have two other roku boxes in my casitas.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm

I'm looking to finally dump SHAW. I see they just raised my subscription again to $ 119 C.

I alfready have Netflix and Acorn using ilox - great. I'm looking for your  recommendation for a streaming TV service with video recording so  I'm not tied to a viewing schedule.

Any suggestions/experience would be appreciated.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed May 06, 2020 1:48 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
ComputerGuy wrote:I definitely prefer the Roku to the Firestick. It cannot be rigged like the Firestick, but it is as solid as a rock, and gets pretty much anything that is available. The Firestick, if it isn't "fixed", is very limited and has an overly-simple interface that doesn't let you do much else.
I just pulled the trigger on a Roku from Amazon. $899 pesos. I have two other roku boxes in my casitas.

Not sure why Plan B prefers the Firestick, unless he has one of those that Derek worked on. Or perhaps a better onscreen guide.

The Roku you ordered at that price most likely has voice control, which saves a LOT of time and frustration. I like the fact that it has live news now. In fact, I was testing ABC News today and it brilliantly showed me that there are dozens of channels, with a guide, for ABC newsand programming, including live and other news shows. You use the left arrow on the remote to get the guide. Biggest help ever.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 06, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks CG.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Wed May 06, 2020 3:27 pm

ComputerGuy wrote:
If you are interested, roku.com lists all the channels.
Just a small quibble: There are private channels that are not listed on the Roku site. Private channels can be manually added to Roku and there are channels for almost any interest. I have found only a very few that are worth adding and those usually disappear after a short while.  Google "Roku private channels"
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Yes the Firestick 4K has to be "fixed" to obtain the vast choices available. Can be done with a little time and effort  searching Google for instructions.

Fire TV vs. Roku: Which streaming platform should today's cord-cutter pick?

https://www.techhive.com/article/3489497/roku-vs-fire-tv-which-is-best-for-a-cord-cutter.html
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed May 06, 2020 5:38 pm

mattoleriver wrote:
ComputerGuy wrote:
If you are interested, roku.com lists all the channels.
Just a small quibble: There are private channels that are not listed on the Roku site. Private channels can be manually added to Roku and there are channels for almost any interest. I have found only a very few that are worth adding and those usually disappear after a short while.  Google "Roku private channels"

That is something I did not know, so thanks. I Googled and yeah, there are a bunch... many oddballs but a few interesting.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Thu May 07, 2020 12:48 pm

CanuckBob wrote:CG, is there a good streaming service that has a guide. I don't mind paying for it but a guide is pretty handy.

Sent PM.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DeborahM Thu May 07, 2020 1:32 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Frida is on Netflix. No Microsoft needed, no commercials, stream or download, no CBS whatever needed, 6 bux a month, boom.

Where do you get it for $6 a month? I pay $12. Shocked

DeborahM

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Netflix Mexico.
Just got this today:
"Starting June 7, 2020, a value-added tax (VAT) of 16% will be included in your Netflix price. Your monthly price including tax will be MXN139."
Or about 5.79US.
What do you use?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Thu May 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Interesting. I got this today.
Starting June 7, 2020, a value-added tax (VAT) of 16% will be included in your Netflix price. Your monthly price including tax will be MXN266.
I wonder why the different prices?

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 07, 2020 2:45 pm

I received the same message. I guess they weren't collecting the VAT before. I have the 8 users account.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DeborahM Thu May 07, 2020 2:55 pm

I use Netflix.com, I guess I should switch!

DeborahM

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 07, 2020 3:08 pm

casi nada wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:CG, is there a good streaming service that has a guide. I don't mind paying for it but a guide is pretty handy.

Sent PM.

That is a big question; too big for a response here.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 07, 2020 3:09 pm

rckrckr wrote:Interesting. I got this today.
Starting June 7, 2020, a value-added tax (VAT) of 16% will be included in your Netflix price. Your monthly price including tax will be MXN266.
I wonder why the different prices?

Maybe because you are on different plans. Basic, Standard, and Premium, involving number of users and quality of stream.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Yes, I probably have basic. Don't remember . . .

Deb, Netflix.com? Do you have Netflix US with a VPN? Or do you have Netflix Mexico? If so, which plan?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Thu May 07, 2020 3:20 pm

Maybe because you are on different plans. Basic, Standard, and Premium, involving number of users and quality of stream. [/quote]

Correct.

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by majortom Thu May 07, 2020 3:34 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned YouTube. I subscribed to YouTube Premium and it's the best entertainment I have and I have Netflix, HBO and just about everything Shaw offers. I pay $5.56 a month and get more interesting things than I can watch. In hi definition with no adds. I'm always finding interesting things, documentaries, old movies, science, music, airplanes, motorcycles. No matter what you like you can find lots of stuff to watch. Nine times out of ten I'll be watching You Tube. Love it!

majortom

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Cool, I didn't know the YouTube channel was so extensive. Thanks for the info! Is everything you are watching there also available free if you search for it normally?

There are so many excellent alternatives to TV and its exorbitant prices, commercials and the sound increases that go with them, and the demeaning and crappy programming. I've always thought of TV as pablum they are feeding the masses to think a certain way and to buy what they want us to buy. Haven't had tv service for 8 years.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DeborahM Thu May 07, 2020 5:14 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Yes, I probably have basic. Don't remember . . .

Deb, Netflix.com? Do you have Netflix  US with a VPN? Or do you have Netflix Mexico? If so, which plan?

Netflix Mexico standard plan...$13.99/mo Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DeborahM on Thu May 07, 2020 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

DeborahM

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 07, 2020 5:19 pm

Then I must have Basic and that's the difference.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next