INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Caribbean Restaurant in Riberas?

+6
Gamina
CanuckBob
artsnob
slainte39
lakeside7
Sorn
10 posters

Go down

New Caribbean Restaurant in Riberas? Empty New Caribbean Restaurant in Riberas?

Post by Sorn Fri May 08, 2020 3:09 pm

While driving through Riberas yesterday, I saw a new restaurant near Mama's Bar and Doppio Cafe. I couldn't glance at the sign long enough to make out the name and generic google searches didn't yield anything relevant. But it appears to specialize in Caribbean and (I think) African food. Anyone try it? Not a seemingly auspicious time to open a new spot, but I'm down to try it and report back.

Sorn

Back to top Go down

New Caribbean Restaurant in Riberas? Empty Re: New Caribbean Restaurant in Riberas?

Post by lakeside7 Fri May 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Sorn wrote:While driving through Riberas yesterday, I saw a new restaurant near Mama's Bar and Doppio Cafe. I couldn't glance at the sign long enough to make out the name and generic google searches didn't yield anything relevant. But it appears to specialize in Caribbean and (I think) African food. Anyone try it? Not a seemingly auspicious time to open a new spot, but I'm down to try it and report back.
Is the restaurant on the South or North side of the highway? My friend from Jamaica/Canada told me some time ago he would try to open a Bar/Restaurant someplace in that area

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Caribbean Restaurant in Riberas? Empty Re: New Caribbean Restaurant in Riberas?

Post by Sorn Fri May 08, 2020 6:53 pm

It was to the North (mountainside) of the carretera.

Sorn

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri May 08, 2020 11:40 pm

It is not open yet and I don´t know who is operating it but they are advertising Cuban Caribbean food for sure.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by artsnob Sat May 09, 2020 7:05 am

Where exactly is it, local landmark please

artsnob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorn Sat May 09, 2020 10:07 am

Sure, I'm fairly new here but this is what I can give you. It's in Riberas, on the mountainside of the carretera, immediately to the East of Doppio Cafe. A Catholic church (Nuestra Señora Del Pilar) and abarrote (Super Riberas) are almost directly across the carretera from it.

Here's a Google Map link but apologies in advance if it's not helpful - my tech skills are somewhat limited: https://www.google.com/maps/@20.2936509,-103.2222397,76m/data=!3m1!1e3

Sorn

Back to top Go down

Post by artsnob Sat May 09, 2020 10:54 am

Ok thanx now I can see where it is I love Cuban food...can’t wait

artsnob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 09, 2020 12:59 pm

And here I thought the food in Cuba was mediocre at best.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sat May 09, 2020 2:13 pm

I thought the Cuban food I ate was pretty boring. But their desserts are superior to Mexico. But Caribbean food is wonderful. I'll try it and maybe they have better Cuban food than I ate in Cuba.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sat May 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Not a big fan of Cuban food....not a lot of spice to it and lots of carbs and starches in many dishes.  

When we lived in FL there were lots of Cuban places; the one thing that was always good was the Cubano (a grilled roast pork sandwich).  A bit odd with ham, swiss cheese, pickle and mustard, but the pork was almost always amazing.  You can judge Cuban restaurants by the quality of their roast pork.

It should be roasted in a caja China (China box).  Years ago there was a hole-in-the-wall place across from Pemex (now BP) in Ajijic that roasted pigs in a China box.  It was so good!!

If someone goes to this place, please post a review, especially if they have good roast pork.  btw, this place has good reviews on tripadvisor, dating back to early 2019.  Name of it is, Sabor del Caribe.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat May 09, 2020 4:22 pm

I think the gasolinera in Ajijic is still a Pemex station.  The gasolineras in La Canacinta and SAT are BP but not Ajijic. There was Cuban restaurant across the street from it???

Where was this restaurant, now discussed, located in 2019, as seems to be new to the location where it is now?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat May 09, 2020 5:44 pm

I remember the place across from the gas station on the libramiento and damn, that was a great Cubano.

"Sabor del Caribe" is the name of the place in Ajijic, on Zaragosa, not too far east from Danza del Sol. It has been operating on the same property as a funky B&B called Casa las Rocas.

Their Ropa Vieja is delicious, and the Lechon, also. Never tried their Cubano but I ate with someone who enjoyed his so imagine it's good. Nice people, friendly service. I suspect they're in transition. Moving the restaurant to a more viable, "on the beaten path" location.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499405-d16735712-Reviews-Sabor_del_Caribe-Ajijic.html

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat May 09, 2020 10:53 pm

That´s where I saw it…...on Zaragosa, not across from the gas station in Ajijic.  Yes, it must just be a move of location as the name is the same.
But you say there was a Cuban restaurant before, in SAT, across the Libramiento from the gas station there.  Must not have lasted long as I can´t remember it.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat May 09, 2020 11:06 pm

Gamina wrote:I thought the Cuban food I ate was pretty boring.  But their desserts are superior to Mexico.  But Caribbean food is wonderful.  I'll try it and maybe they have better Cuban food than I ate in Cuba.

The Caribbean nationhood consists of about 20 island nations stretching from Cuba to Trinidad so when you generalize Caribbean food you have to include Cuba.  The food in the French speaking islands differ from the Dutch speaking, from the English speaking, and the Spanish speaking.
They are all different with some similarities.  I prefer the Jamaican food as I spent more time there and got used to it and sorted out  the good restaurants along the north shore and over in Kingston as well.  The best curry I have ever eaten was at an Indian restaurant in Montego Bay.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun May 10, 2020 10:13 am

There was a Cuban place on the Libramiento, ate there once. It was good. Went back once but they were gone.

So, is the place in Riberas new players or one of these others?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 am

slainte39 wrote:
Gamina wrote:I thought the Cuban food I ate was pretty boring.  But their desserts are superior to Mexico.  But Caribbean food is wonderful.  I'll try it and maybe they have better Cuban food than I ate in Cuba.

The Caribbean nationhood consists of about 20 island nations stretching from Cuba to Trinidad so when you generalize Caribbean food you have to include Cuba.  The food in the French speaking islands differ from the Dutch speaking, from the English speaking, and the Spanish speaking.
They are all different with some similarities.  I prefer the Jamaican food as I spent more time there and got used to it and sorted out  the good restaurants along the north shore and over in Kingston as well.  The best curry I have ever eaten was at an Indian restaurant in Montego Bay.

I've eaten Caribbean food on about 15 islands and I like all of it.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun May 10, 2020 12:23 pm

slainte39 wrote:
But you say there was a Cuban restaurant before, in SAT, across the Libramiento from the gas station there.  Must not have lasted long as I can´t remember it.

It was small, in a setback building, a little south of where Pollos Don David is now, between there and the green tire, I think. Practically invisible and no idea of what the name was. I'm not a big fan of Cuban food, or don't know it well, but the Cubano was great. And no, it wasn't there for very long.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun May 10, 2020 12:48 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

It was small, in a setback building, a little south of where Pollos Don David is now, between there and the green tire, I think. Practically invisible and no idea of what the name was. I'm not a big fan of Cuban food, or don't know it well, but the Cubano was great. And no, it wasn't there for very long.

I remember that place. Went there once for the Cubano and loved it. When next I went, it was already gone.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun May 10, 2020 3:59 pm

Trailrunner wrote:There was a Cuban place on the Libramiento, ate there once. It was good. Went back once but they were gone.

So, is the place in Riberas new players or one of these others?

I think as Rosa said, it´s the people from over on Zaragosa just moving to a new location.  The sign does say "Sabor de Caribe" and also another sign saying Cubano Caribe.  Whether they were on the Libramiento in SAT, for a short time, I have no idea.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun May 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Who ever they are, I look forward to trying their food. Maybe they'll open and deliver. New flavors are always welcome!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down