INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

denque in Jocotepec

+11
artsnob
Bubba2shoes
CHILLIN
Nicksco
mudgirl
cypress
mwool
ferret
CanuckBob
Smartalex
benjji
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

denque in Jocotepec - Page 2 Empty Re: denque in Jocotepec

Post by lakeside7 Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:11 am

mudgirl wrote:
lakeside7 wrote: Citronella and Lemon Grass are different, we grow both plants.

Not sure why people don't just look up this information instead of posting their opinion. Citronella is indeed a type of lemon grass.

So now I guess I have to stay late and write 100 lines "Citronella is indeed a type of lemon grass"

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am

The Gates foundation is trying to eradicate the breed of mosquito that carries Dengue and Malaria.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:45 am

Yes, they have succeeded a genetically modified mosquito. It is the males, they cannot fertilize eggs. They still need quite a bit of testing before they release it into the wild.
Us men should be worried about this development. In China, the men outnumber the women 2 to 1. The birthrates are also at a record low. There are some in China suggesting that women should be allowed to have two or more husbands to increase the birthrate.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Every woman's dream to be a brood mare.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:14 pm

Isn't it enough of a challenge to get along with one? lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:16 pm

Yep!!

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:42 pm

I am with Bob - do not want Dengue again.  I put my mosquito net up, tho I've not seen an aegyptis mosquito yet (black stripe legs). I use essential oils daily, which works to an extent, but to even think about getting both dengue & covid simultaneously (none of us KNOW if we become asymptomic) ..so this is not a year to get fussy about deet, pyrethrins or permethrin, the later of which is the ingredient in Raid mosquito coils sold at Walmart.. the lavender ones are easiest to tolerate. It takes less than a 1/2 inch of the coil material to burn outside by a door or window, to blow in.. or burn a bit an hour before you plan on being outside on your patio. (Even burning incense works & has a residual effect. don't kid yourself, incense has chemicals too.). Eat garlic, which comes thru your pores & seems to deter.  Never really been a mozzie target, but last 2 weeks horrible. The dumping of sewage in the road (Riberas) & Mirasol's regular sewage overflows don't help. Never have bites taken so long to heal. Foam tape to tighten slider screens. Clear silicon sealant to screen holes or cracks.  The bone/joint pain, high fevers & pinpoint retinal pain for a week or more is indescribable.

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 pm

There was an article I read many years ago in the science section of a Canadian newspaper. I still have it stashed away somewhere. They had done experiments somewhere in Africa where dengue and malaria were a major problem. As most people know, only the breeding females go for blood. The main diet of mosquitoes is fermented fruit and flower nectar. So these scientists put out containers of fermented fruit juice with a chemical in it that kills mosquitoes. It knocked out the mosquito population by 90% in a week.
But the chemical they were using would be too expensive for the locals to use, so they tried it with boric acid instead. It worked just as well.
I don't understand why this method isn't being used everywhere, instead of spraying toxic chemicals.
We could do it ourselves- let some fruit juice ferment, put some boric acid in it, and set out some small containers of it around your property. Worth a try.
Pandemic isolation has another positive factor- if people don't go out much, and don't gather in large groups, there will be less dengue. Mosquitoes are only the vector. They transfer dengue from person to person, and individual mosquitoes don't travel very far. The ones that carry zika and dengue only travel about 300 feet from their breeding area. So if there aren't any sources of standing water on your property, or on your immediate neighbor's property, the chances of getting bitten by a mosquito carrying dengue in your own home are quite slim.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2