INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wow - Schitts Creek

5 posters

Go down

Wow - Schitts Creek Empty Wow - Schitts Creek

Post by CHILLIN Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Canadian produced comedy series wins an unprecedented number of Emmy awards. Anchored by some comedy greats, Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara.
Have only watched bits of it, but it has a sort of genuine sweetness about it and is genuinely funny. No laugh track needed for this one.

https://youtu.be/FLas2mqh0fQ

CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Wow - Schitts Creek Empty Re: Wow - Schitts Creek

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 pm

I watched half of the first season. While I love Catherone O'hara and Eugene Levy and have for 40 years or so since they began on TV with SCTV, to me the show was banal, and only a notch above Corner Gas, one of the worst atrocities to come out CBC original programming ever. I think the fact that a lot of people were stuck at home with Netflix the last six months really gave them a boost. I guess my tastes have diverged wildly as I get older, from those watching today.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

slainte39, mattoleriver and kamcd like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:26 pm

They began way before SCTV. There used to be a children's comedy show, Coming up Rosie. 1975 to 1978. Dan Acroyd, John Candy, O'Hara, Eugene Levy. It was on just after school got out. A lot of stoners would watch it.
https://m.facebook.com/cbc/videos/coming-up-rosie/913255779035787/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

mudgirl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inthecolumbiagorge Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 am

Schitts Creek was one of my absolute favorite programs:-) I think it deserved every award it won and it should have been receiving them for years! It was of course ridiculous but so so funny:-)

Letter Kenny is also one of my favorite programs:-) I did not watch these series during the pandemic because I was waiting for every season to come out on both shows and binged watched them wanting more every season.
inthecolumbiagorge
inthecolumbiagorge
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:45 am

CHILLIN wrote:They began way before SCTV. There used to be a children's comedy show, Coming up Rosie. 1975 to 1978. Dan Acroyd, John Candy, O'Hara, Eugene Levy. It was on just after school got out. A lot of stoners would watch it.
https://m.facebook.com/cbc/videos/coming-up-rosie/913255779035787/
I coulda sworn I responded to you yesterday; guess I didn't click SEND. Yes, that particular gang started in various shows, before moving to Rosie, which gave them a taste for what would become SCTV in 1976 (not even a full year after Rosie started broadcasting) while they were still doing the kids' show. But by then I was 23 and not particularly interested, nor did I have the time, to watch kids' TV, being a worker and all.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:16 pm

CHILLIN wrote: ...but it has a sort of genuine sweetness...

This is one reason I like Canadian movies. Many have this quality. Nothing sickly sweet or goody-goody, just a real human element that you often don't get in the same way in Hollywood movies. Also, Canadian movies seem not to rely on gratuitous violence and sex, or car chases as something that has to exist to draw viewers. And the actors in them tend to look like real people, albeit often good-looking, but not all cosmetically enhanced.

I loved "Lars and the Real Girl" for this reason (one of Ryan Gosling's earlier roles). Also "Highway 61". They had really quirky plots and were sweet and quite funny.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:14 pm

The best Canadian show on right now is TRANSPLANT. Season one ended, but it's turning up in repeats everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4v74X3EqfY
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:32 pm

TRANSPLANT is AWESOME! Can hardly wait for season 2!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Did anyone watch, years ago, Ken Finkleman's TV series "The Newsroom" or "More Tears"? Those were hilarious, really outrageously satirical shows. Sometimes when I was watching, I was thinking "I can't believe they're actually letting him get away with this on television".

And also years ago, I was watching a show, which I can't remember the name of, where they interviewed Canadian personalities and that night they interviewed Cathy Jones, the comedienne from This Hour Has 22 Minutes. The interviewer asked her how she met her current husband, a musician (she had been previously married) and she said they had met at a house party and just happened to be standing next to each other in the backyard when a joint was being passed around, and struck up a conversation. The interviewer just took that in stride and didn't question her at all about her smoking weed. I happened to be watching it with a American friend who was visiting and he said "You would NEVER hear that on US TV."

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Whatever happened to Finkleman? He was all the rage for a few years, then pfffft. (Turns out he is quite politically active on Twitter these days.)

His brother Danny hosted Finkleman's 45s, Saturday nights I think. He played fantastic oldies (before we had such easy access to them digitally), and did some amazing rants. I remember one in particualr that had the whole car cracking up about "don't stint on belts" for pants as we drove home.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum