INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossing the land boarder to US

4 posters

Go down

Crossing the land boarder to US Empty Crossing the land boarder to US

Post by Halfglass Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:58 am

Question, with the revised FMM regulations, what needs to be done when crossing into the US from Mexico? 

In the past we had to stop at the immigration  station  at milepost 21K. 

We are planning to travel to Phoenix later this month by car. 

Anyone have a new experience to share? 
Halfglass
Halfglass
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Crossing the land boarder to US Empty Re: Crossing the land boarder to US

Post by OasisCloud Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:43 am

We are permanente, exited Mexico in a Mexican plated car late September and reentered last week. No check of our permanente card or passport by INM at any point. We did get a red light entering on Laredo bridge #2. They opened and just glanced into 2 small suitcases that were at the very back of our SUV. We had tons of other stuff, but that is all they looked at and waved us on. Took at most 5 min. There wasn't anyone in the booth at 20km, so we just drove on.

OasisCloud

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:07 pm

I'm not sure why this is relevant to anything. As a permanente,one was never required to stop at immigration when driving in or out. It is the driver's responsibility to check in or out if they want a record of exits and entries. (If one ever wants to apply for citizenship, proof of this is necessary).

If entering as a tourist, yes, of course you have to stop at the INM module at km. 21 south of Nogales. The changes in immigration procedures at this point only applies to air travel, where in some airports they are only stamping incoming tourists passports rather than giving them the bottom half of the FMM form to serve as a tourist card. And same for permanentes and temporals- in those airports they are just stamping passports, not using FMMs, although in some of those airports it seems to vary from one day to the next.

PV airport seems to be consistently not using FMMs. It was not required for me as permanente flying to Canada in July, nor returning in Sept. (They passed out the forms on the flight, but INM in the airport didn't want them). And when my granddaughter just flew in as a tourist two days ago, they just stamped her passport, no tourist card.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Rory2u likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:40 pm

P.S. When driving in now, I have no idea whether they will just stamp your passport or are still using FMMs, but if you are entering as a tourist, you definitely have to pull in and go to the INM module and also get your TIP.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:23 pm

With a Resident Visa, INM-Columbia stamped my passport leaving Mexico in September. Yes, I had to park & walk over to the building. Departure from Mexico was registered w INM before, why would this change, due to tourist card matters?  This paper reduction & increased INM flexibility/survellience @ border.. Amlo may also be demanding more statistics on non-mexican residents living in Mexico. What a data mess = snowbirds, tourists living as year-round residents, over-stayers, remote workers.  I'll do my part: signing in& out.

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and mudgirl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:20 am

Another important reason to stop and check in and out if you are a temporary resident with a foreign-plated car is that if something happens to your car while out of Mexico- gets stolen, gets in an accident and deemed totaled, has mechanical issues that cause you to want to give up that vehicle and get another, you won't be able to bring another vehicle into Mexico, because they have no record of you bringing the TIP vehicle out. As far as they're aware, that vehicle is still in Mexico.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret, RickS and kiko like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down