INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vita Bella

+7
gringal
Parker
hound dog
ferret
CanuckBob
Intercasa
raqueteer
11 posters

Go down

Vita Bella Empty Vita Bella

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Located just outside the Raquet club, on the road to Chac Lan. First on the right after the guardhouse to Chac Lan, you have to go down a long driveway.

This is highly recommended. Great food, superb service, wonderful ambience. The chef is Gerard.

Hours 1:30 p.m. until 10 p.m. daily.

No smoking inside, smoking permitted outside.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Vita Bella Empty Re: Vita Bella

Post by Intercasa Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Daily? Did you go today or yesterday. We kept calling yesterday at 9pm to go but nobody answered (figured maybe they are closed on Mondays) so we stayed at El Bar Co and it was packed.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:30 pm

How about posting their phone number Spencer. The info was from the owner, today, hot off the press so to speak.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:53 pm

We called Monte Coxala at 387-761-0111 as we only had blackberries to search for the number, maybe it was a wrong number but from Coxala web site
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Wrong number, and I can't find their card.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:24 pm

This is what I could find:

Vita Bella Restaurant is in the Raquet Club in San Juan Cosala.
Raphael Cosuna 250.
Telephone number: 387 761 1145.
Call for reservations.
E mail: gerardthecook@hotmail.com.
Hours: Everyday from 1:00pm to 11:00pm.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Thank you bunches! All of you!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Has anyone but Dawg noticed that this Lakeside community it packed with reataurants with compelling names such as "Vita Bella" but with restaurants with the incapacity to consistently deliver decent food and I do not now speak of "Vita Bella " as I have not been there, just the pretentious name which is typical of Lakeside overreaching food joints.

We have noticed something after all of these years at Lakeside and in San Cristóbal de Las Casas. Towns catering to tourists or foreigners typically are filled with restaurants serving mediocre food that is neither representative of local or foreign cuisines. The best food we have come across in Mexico has been served by isolated regional restaurants not subject to the whims of foreigners.

We had heard so many things good about Laurent and, after an extended stay in Chiapas, went there upon our retun to Lakside with high expectations. How disappointing for me to have received a properly cooked if inferior quality rare steak filet with an insipid sauce bearnaise. To miscook a steak periodically is acceptable, to serve a bearnaise that is insipid is unacceptable - a distinct failure for a European chef . His clientele must be easily pleased but Dawg ain´t. Get back to fundamentals folks or leave town.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:01 pm

I find it easier to just judge the restuarants by the quality of their margaritas......because let's face it after a few of those who cares.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:21 pm

We also found Laurent wanting, however Vita Bella is a different kettle of fish, or bouillabaise, as it were. Very much worth the effort, provided that the chef is there. Best to call first.
Fortunately I was not forced to suffer from an insipid bearnaise, just a very tiny and very pretentious blue cheese creme brulee.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:40 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I find it easier to just judge the restuarants by the quality of their margaritas......because let's face it after a few of those who cares.

I like this kind of attitude, it very similar to my own. Good food at home, good company without the effort, at the local whatever. Beer

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:36 pm

Bearnaise sauce should taste so sinfully good that you'd want to mop what's left up with french bread.
If not.......why offer it?

Good point about the margaritas.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:01 pm

hound dog wrote:Has anyone but Dawg noticed that this Lakeside community it packed with reataurants with compelling names such as "Vita Bella" but with restaurants with the incapacity to consistently deliver decent food and I do not now speak of "Vita Bella " as I have not been there, just the pretentious name which is typical of Lakeside overreaching food joints.

We have noticed something after all of these years at Lakeside and in San Cristóbal de Las Casas. Towns catering to tourists or foreigners typically are filled with restaurants serving mediocre food that is neither representative of local or foreign cuisines. The best food we have come across in Mexico has been served by isolated regional restaurants not subject to the whims of foreigners.

We had heard so many things good about Laurent and, after an extended stay in Chiapas, went there upon our retun to Lakside with high expectations. How disappointing for me to have received a properly cooked if inferior quality rare steak filet with an insipid sauce bearnaise. To miscook a steak periodically is acceptable, to serve a bearnaise that is insipid is unacceptable - a distinct failure for a European chef . His clientele must be easily pleased but Dawg ain´t. Get back to fundamentals folks or leave town.
+

"His clientele must be easliy pleased but Dawg isn't" This from the galloping Gourmand that couldn't get to the opening of the airport Burgerking fast enough.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:20 am

martygraw wrote:
hound dog wrote:Has anyone but Dawg noticed that this Lakeside community it packed with reataurants with compelling names such as "Vita Bella" but with restaurants with the incapacity to consistently deliver decent food and I do not now speak of "Vita Bella " as I have not been there, just the pretentious name which is typical of Lakeside overreaching food joints.

+

"His clientele must be easliy pleased but Dawg isn't" This from the galloping Gourmand that couldn't get to the opening of the airport Burgerking fast enough.

God, twice in one night I’ve found myself in hysterics. Yep. Gourmet & Burger King in the same sentence. Yes life is good. Very Happy Beer

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:40 am

Dawg - I couldn't disagree with you more. We have been going to Laurent ever since he opened. EVERY time I have ordered his Filet and every time it has been cooked perfectly and has been one of, if the MOST tender filets in all of Ajijic. I never ordered the Bernaise sauce and I don't think he offers that any more.

All of our Dinner group agrees that Laurent is one of the "Best" restaurants in Ajijic along with El Jardin de Ninette. Neither Hacienda nor Bruno's can hold a candle to Laurent, although Hacienda is a close second. And forget Ajijic Tango. Their Filet is usually dry.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:51 am

Well, John, presumably his bearnaise just wasn't up to snuff, so was abandoned in a moment of pique. A reasonable hollandaise, and bearnaise is the hallmark of a good chef.
Hacienda is not bad, but neither is it great.
Jardin de Ninette, has its flaws.
We're back to Vita Bella, which you have not as yet tried apparently.
One can hardly compare Hacienda with Vita Bella, they're not in the same league.

Last edited by raqueteer on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:58 pm

[quote="johninajijic"]Dawg - I couldn't disagree with you more. We have been going to Laurent ever since he opened. EVERY time I have ordered his Filet and every time it has been cooked perfectly and has been one of, if the MOST tender filets in all of Ajijic. I never ordered the Bernaise sauce and I don't think he offers that any more.
All of our Dinner group agrees that Laurent is one of the "Best" restaurants in Ajijic along with El Jardin de Ninette. Neither Hacienda nor Bruno's can hold a candle to Laurent, although Hacienda is a close second. And forget Ajijic Tango. Their Filet is usually dry.[/quote]

Actually, John, as we all know, taste is quite subjective so it is foolish to argue taste but, as raqueteer noted in another post, a great chef is noted by that chef´s ability to make great sauces and Laurent´s bearnaise was unacceptable in several ways. Perhaps my expectations are dfferent from yours as I lived in France for some time and have been married into a French family for the past 40 years. That doesn´t mean I disdain your opinion, just that we have significantly different backgrounds. The filet was of mediocre quality but grilled properly. However, the insipid bearnaise was not forgiveable. I regret saying this as I, as you, have held Laurent in great esteem among Ajijic restaurants which are almost universally forgettable. I hope my meal at Laurent the other night was an exception but I am dissuaded that that is logical. One, as a restauarateur might occasionally serve an inferior cut of beef supplied by others but one must never lose one´s touch with sauces as that is the essence of one´s talent and one´s reason for being professionally.

I´ll give Laurent another chance but this is not Muskogee. Get it right or get out of town - and the expectations here are not very high.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:55 pm

I was not questioning anyones opinion of Laurent's Bernaise sauce, as I have never had Bernaise sauce and I doubt it would appeal to me to add to a steak. I was comparing the quality of Laurent's filet to others in Ajijic.

I don't know why you said you can't compare Hacienda to Vita Bella. I haven't been there yet, but will take our group when there's more daylight for driving. I have seen more negative and mixed reviews on Vita Bella than on Hacienda. Further, when Gerard owned Picolo in Rancho del Oro Plaza, a few of us ate there and didn't like the food. Some of the worst food we've had in Ajijic. Never again.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:06 pm

So a food critic who has never had Bearnaise sauce and can comment on a restaurant having never gone there. Don't worry John, Bearnaise isn't a Mexican sauce and it might just be a sauce you can treat your pallet to. Maybe then, it wouldn't be so darned limited?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:40 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:So a food critic who has never had Bearnaise sauce and can comment on a restaurant having never gone there. Don't worry John, Bearnaise isn't a Mexican sauce and it might just be a sauce you can treat your pallet to. Maybe then, it wouldn't be so darned limited?

Don't bet on ot Neil
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:52 pm

johninajijic wrote:I was not questioning anyones opinion of Laurent's Bernaise sauce, as I have never had Bernaise sauce and I doubt it would appeal to me to add to a steak. I was comparing the quality of Laurent's filet to others in Ajijic.

I don't know why you said you can't compare Hacienda to Vita Bella. I haven't been there yet, but will take our group when there's more daylight for driving. I have seen more negative and mixed reviews on Vita Bella than on Hacienda. Further, when Gerard owned Picolo in Rancho del Oro Plaza, a few of us ate there and didn't like the food. Some of the worst food we've had in Ajijic. Never again.

Well just so you know, Gerard used to have a partner. There were disagreements on food preparation and quality, so they went their separate ways. Gerard, managed to carve out a small but loyal group of new and old patrons who actually appreciate good food, and are willing to pay for it. His former partner has a cruddy joint on the highway.

The reason you cannot compare Hacienda to Vita Bella, is that Gerard has vision foresight and imagination. Hacienda has the same old same old day in, day out. I'm fairly certain, that if requested Gerard could produce an excellent bearnaise sauce, the hallmark of a good chef.
Gerard does a new menu daily depending on quality and availability of ingredients. He makes his own pasta, he grows his own herbs, and some veggies. Wait staff are gravitating there, so it's warm welcomes all round.

A note on bearnaise, the finest, most delicious sauce known to man. Sinfully rich, it's an offshoot of the exquisite and wonderful hollandaise, so much beloved by consumers of eggs benedict.

Just for you, since you are unfamiliar, here's a recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/steak-with-bearnaise-sauce-104258

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:32 am

The view from La Vita Bella is worth going. Go before sunset or in the afternoon so you can see the view - it's right on the edge of the cliff inside but not part of the Raquet Club. I like the view better than Chac Lan and the food much better. There are always interesting specials and his brick oven pizza is always good.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down