INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Business in Restaurants

+23
ferret
canadiangirl
Parker
SnowDaddy
Solovino
saege007
57Chevy
martygraw
raqueteer
hound dog
Zedinmexico
gringal
CanuckBob
Mainecoons
DaveP
simpsca
hockables
brigitte
Intercasa
susan
CheenaGringo
David
johninajijic
27 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

No Business in Restaurants - Page 4 Empty Re: No Business in Restaurants

Post by 57Chevy Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:20 pm

brigitte wrote:57 chevy
I hope the spare office included phone, electricity use of office machine or whatever because that price is way out of line. I know 2 business owners on Colon and they do not pay anyting near that price. But then they are both Mexicans and know what things should cost.

It did include electricity and use of office machines, shared with two other tenants. I thought the price was very high. I saw the ad on Ajijic News. I don't know if this is a common price point for Ajijic. JohninAjijic - maybe someone was lying to me, but that was the advertised price. When I heard the price, I ditched the idea.

I did look at one other shop space for rent about 3 blocks east from the plaza and down a few blocks, sort of out of the way---not at all in a high traffic location, and totally surrounded by residential units. It was a very small space with one door and one window, with a toilet room. It cost $600/month.

57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Not lying, that info was from a restauranteur. You might remember Jose's Illusion restaurant who had a 5 year lease. As soon as the lease was up, the owner tried screwing him on the new lease. He went out of business. The Mexicans are asking ridiculous prices from Mexicans so the locales sit empty. Better to get less money and keep the place occupied, but they just don't get it. I do know of a restauranteur in San Antonio paying like $ 5,000. pesos a month.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:53 pm

57Chevy wrote:
saege007 wrote:We've been buying our coffee from Francisco for a few years. Super nice guy!

Also, a lot of the "local" artisans are not actually local. A lot come from far away states to peddle their wares here.

Anyone who travels from other states to peddle their wares in the street is all the more reason to support them. They are hard working Mexican people who work harder than most people do to make a living. Remember the people in the U.S. during the Great Depression, who travelled to where the work was after the farm was lost or the factory folded up, often whole families living in their truck or a tent.

To give you an idea of what it costs to have a shop in downtown Ajijic - I recently inquired about a shared office space on Colon, down a few blocks from the plaza. It rented for $1500 /month. So, what does an entire store or cafe space rent for? So, the folks who have brick and mortor stores may well have more money than any of us do. Just a thought.

I'm more apt to support the traveling artisans for these reasons.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:11 pm

We came to the coast today for the holidays. The local hotels and restaurants are hurting for business. Looks like it will be a very poor season for the merchants here.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 pm

john this was maybe 7/8 yrs ago (closing of 6 resturants). it as written in the chapala review. in 2008/9, after the banking problems, new posadas hotel business was down 60%. people were not traveling as much. then it picked up. there were always too many resturants, cafes, nail salons. read the other posts. "just a little" crime? 10 serious attacks LAST year (5 during home invasions) plus one murder (home invasion), 2 beatings on street, 2 muggings @ knifepoint. add that to this years 4 new invasions & another murder (invasion). thats fifteen. some of the surviving victims almost died. dec.'10 to nov/'11, 12 month period. (busy year for the boys. theres no business like the crime business, thats for sure). i stand behind what i say, lack or patronage here is NOT related to this years "events". it is also slow in nov/dec.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:00 am

The news reported this morning, if I heard correctly, a 52 %decrease in hotel occupancy in the PV area. The restaurants are off 30% in Guadalajara compared to last year same period. They attributed the decrease to the non smoking laws and the insecurity.

Last edited by brigitte on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:01 am

susan - I've been here for 10 + years. Sorry, I don't agree on your 6 - 8 restaurants closing. Which ones closed? Maybe one or two. What banking crisis of 2008/2009 are you talking about? I know of none. The facts on home invasions are distorted. Most of the problems lie with the victims leaving a door unlocked or opening a door too early in the AM. I can think of one particular one in Rancho del Oro. What killing last year? If you're referring to Alan, they were friends with two very young Mexican boys who had criminal records in LA. When you're an older gay man, you are asking for major problems making friends with Mexican boys.

And what you quoted for incidents cannot come close to comparing what goes on NOB. Everyday we hear on the news of random murders, Virginia Tech, standing in a Blvd in hollywood firing a gun at random cars, robbery of houses then burning the residents alive in CONN, kidnappings of people and babies, missing persons turning up dead and on and on and on. Ajijic is still safer than NOB anyday. Check the stats for any city NOB on city-data.com

Last edited by johninajijic on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 am

deleted
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:21 am

I think the "banking crisis" Susan referred to was in the USA.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 am

Watching the Guadalajara news this morning they mentioned that restaurant business was down 25 to 40%. Attributable to crime BUT ALSO the new anti smoking law. They said people are not going out as late at night but also breakfast business has been increasing.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:14 am

Why would the anti-smoking law cut business? It had quite the opposite effect NOB. What are the smokers doing, staying at home?

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:17 am

Maybe it is a good example of trying to apply a NOB type law and having it backfire?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:18 am

You mean like the Mexican "war" on drugs?

Very Happy

I wonder what the percentage of smokers is in this country. Gonna go see if I can find some data on it.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:24 am

OK, found a reference.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/28432/smoking-rates-around-world-how-americans-compare.aspx

According to this, fewer Mexicans smoke than do Americans, 15 percent versus 24 percent. That would seem to cast some real question on this claim that the new smoking laws are behind the restaurant drop.

However, this poll doesn't address the possibility that proportionately more smokers go out to eat than non-smokers. Can't find anything on that.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

No Business in Restaurants - Page 4 Empty Thanks 57 Chevy

Post by SnowDaddy Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:29 am

57Chevy wrote:I have a comment that is kind of related to this thread - it is about business being down all over the area. I have a godson who sells coffee on the street in Ajijc - I am sure many of you have seen him. He is 16 years old, and he has a wheelbarrow with a grinder, and bags of Vera Cruz coffee beans. He sits on the plaza outside the garden restaurant, or, more commonly, on the street (Colon) across from the The Tango. His name is Jorge. He is a very dear, sweet, and respectful young boy. He needs to sell more coffee!

The coffee is delicious, and you can get different types of beans depending on if you like dark roast or a lighter bean.

His boss can be seen on the carratera, kittycorner from Clinica Ajijic- and across the corner from The Gossip deli. His name is Fransisco. He is around 32 years old. He sells bags of coffee beans from the back of the truck.

They go to Vera Cruz to get the beans fresh from the farmers. These guys work hard and eat only when they sell enough coffee that day. Fransisco has a wife and 3 kids. I have known Jorge for nearly 3 years. He has been selling coffee since age 12. I will vouch for Jorge being a good person.

Sooo, if you want to help the local economy....buy your coffee from Jorge or Fransisco. They are honest, hard-working guys.

Much easier read...
SnowDaddy
SnowDaddy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:46 pm

It is easy to blame the anti smoking laws since there statistics are hard to come up with but I think the insecurity is really the cause of the problem as shown by the fact that breakfast and lunch business is up.
So much for going to dinner in Guadalajara because of the fear in Ajijic. The problem is the same everywhere.
Brigitte

Last edited by hound dog on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Uhhh... the weather... folks goin bust up north....folks buying cheap property up north... news scaring folks off of Lakeside /Mexico... crime scaring Lakeside folks off of public places...cheaper holidays elsewhere... reading some of the shit on these boards...and the list goes on & on & on.... Dead Horse
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:34 pm

hockables wrote:Uhhh... the weather... folks goin bust up north....folks buying cheap property up north... news scaring folks off of Lakeside /Mexico... crime scaring Lakeside folks off of public places...cheaper holidays elsewhere... reading some of the shit on these boards...and the list goes on & on & on.... No Business in Restaurants - Page 4 300638

Bingo

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:43 pm

I'ma com'n down for January... thatz 31 days.... and I pledge ta go out and eat at least once a day for lets say 21 of those days...

Very Happy just doin my part ta help out!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:17 pm

hound dog wrote:It is easy to blame the anti smoking laws since there statistics are hard to come up with but I think the insecurity is really the cause of the problem as shown by the fact that breakfast and lunch business is up.
So much for going to dinner in Guadalajara because of the fear in Ajijic. The problem is the same everywhere.
Brigitte

Another thought, breakfast & lunch are also cheaper (economics) is affecting everyone, No?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:11 pm

John is starting to remind me of a female poster on a few other forums who constantly defended the State of Michoacan and denied much of what was happening. Then after moving to Mexico City, she cannot scream loud enough about all of the violence. I have to wonder if John's tirades are brought on by the fact he is attempting to sell his home and what he will say after leaving?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Uh John, you ARE selling your house and going back NOB with the rest of the pussies? Or at least you think you are. I think you are in for a big disappointment, frankly. There are some people who can sell their own homes and there are a lot more of them who are their own worst enemies in this regard. Unfortunately, I suspect you fall into the latter category.

But it is a little suspect for you to rant like this when you are one of the ones trying to sell and go back up NOB. Sorta feels a bit self serving, ya know what we mean?

Shocked

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Mainecoons - Is everyone who is selling their house pussies? I never said anything about other people selling their houses. People sell for many various reasons: they miss their grandchildren, their health is poor or private insurance might be too expensive or they have lived in Mexico for the best years and it's time to go.

Since you really don't know my reasons, you shouldn't call them into question.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Just quoting your own words, John. I'm just trying to help you see the impression you are creating with posts like that one.

Go back NOB you pussies!!!

Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:10 pm

John's right. It's nobody's business but his own why he is selling and going NOB. When we make assumptions about other people and they turn out to be wrong......our faces can turn very red.

One friend of mine has a severe medical condition that costs $$$ a month to control. The health insurance covering her and her husband was cancelled, and no way will anyone cover her with her condition. They have moved back to the states to use Medicare. Their very nice home here is up for sale with no takers so far. Pussies? Hardly. Unfortunate......you betcha.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Mainecoons wrote:Just quoting your own words, John. I'm just trying to help you see the impression you are creating with posts like that one.

Go back NOB you pussies!!!
Very Happy

We all know that if John could sell his home in " The Finest Fraccionamiento in All of North America", he´d be the first passenger on the non-stop Pussy Express to California willing to subsist on Spam sammiches and RC Cola ´till he reached Barstow never looking back on ten years in [i]"The Premier Residential Development to Grace the Lake in All of History". [/i

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next