INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purported rabies shots?

+8
hound dog
Mainecoons
Solovino
Lehrer
Milena
Hensley
brigitte
raqueteer
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Purported rabies shots? - Page 2 Empty Re: Purported rabies shots?

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Mainecoons wrote:
If you think the expats are getting paranoid about officialdom and the police, you should talk to some of the Mexicans. They hate 'em.

Talk to Mexicans? I hold Mexican citizenship and have had a Mexican family for over 30 years. And they don't hate the people from the Health Department.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:
Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:Of course I didn't just ring up everyone in the neighborhood you dingbat. Obviously when I got dengue I started asking around, a lot. Try exercising those leetle grey cells as Poirot would say.

Ha! You went around asking if workers from the health department had been visiting homes in your neighborhood? Come on, sweetcheeks, that's some of the lamest bullshit I've heard in a long time.

No it happened to come up at a party when a guest from the village told us about the health department visiting them, and putting some pellets in all areas of standing water, clearly nobody here had ever heard of it before. Subsequently I started asking questions. Did you have too much eggnog? If not, what the hell happened to explain this latest bout of verbal emesis, in other words, just so even someone with your limited capacity for thought will understand. What happened to your marbles dude? Got lost did they?

So in other words you were aware that the health department actually does send workers door to door for various reasons but that still didn't stop your paranoid drivel at the beginning of this thread?
Looks like you're not the big, bad, brave chick you want people to think you are. I'll bet you thought the chalk code they leave on the wall was actually gang members marking houses.

Au contraire Solo, I was simply not aware that ANY health care workers had ever visited our neighborhood since it has never in living memory happened before. Does that make sense, even to you? Or are you on a post christmas binge which has caused all rational thought processes to depart forever?

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:20 pm

I never said to answer any personal questions, asshole. Nor accept the shots if you don't want or need them.[/quote]

Why do you treat me, one of your true admirers, so disrespectfully, Solovino?

Just for the record, an earlier poster indicated the functionaries that approached them asked personal querstions about the number of humans and dogs residing on premise which is an untoward inquiry unless invited by the homeowner. I don´t know what it is about Chiapas or other poverty stricken places in which I have lived, but the governments in those places are always taking surveys and wanting to poke your animals with their two-bit vaccines. We no longer respond to the door knock unless we are expecting someone. Hunkering down in the land of the Zetas.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:22 pm

raqueteer wrote:
No one in my neighborhood has ever had the health department visit.
You make absolute statements such as the one above made on assumptions and say my thought process is skewed? OK, gotcha.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:25 pm

hound dog wrote:[quote="Solovino"]
raqueteer wrote:I just got off the phone with City Hall. There is an official team of people going out all week with rabies shots. When I asked about the questions, the representative said that it was for official purposes in order to identify how many people had been protected by the free rabies shots.

So, it's up to you what you choose to do. We'll get our dog vaccinated by her vet.
Finally some sense. But first paranoia fed accusations. Every year the government has anti-rabies campaigns. Next I suppose the workers going door to door looking for mosquito breeding conditions in the dengue prevention efforts will be accused of being part of a kidnapping gang.

The questions asked by these assistant functionaries strike me as being inappropriate and intrusive. We have had personnel from the city of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas where we also maintain a residence, come to our home down there every year in the spring and all other homes in the barrio and attempt to vaccinate our dogs against rabies and we always refuse letting them know we have taken care of that innoculation. The municipality of San Cristóbal is very serious about this issue in a town overrun by stray mutts, many carrying rabies, but they never ask such personal questions and leave when invited to do so forcefully. Forget what Soloviino says. Never answer personal questions asked by strangers coming to your door whether inquiring about rabies or mosquitos. Never, ever let them into your property without carefuly verifying who they are with the city. If you cannot speak Spanish, respectfully decline their services and shut the door. Better yet, have a functioning peephole and never even open the door unless you know to whom you are opening it. The community is filled with scam artists. Remain vigilant and take care of your own rabies shots and mosquito avoidance measures. [/quote]

Thank you Dawg, very well said. Next year I will most certainly visit the health department, in person, to acquire these magic pellets. They will be placed all around our property, including the disgraceful excuse for a road which has many areas of standing water, often for days at a time.
Beer

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:28 pm

hound dog wrote:I never said to answer any personal questions, asshole. Nor accept the shots if you don't want or need them.

Just for the record, an earlier poster indicated the functionaries that approached them asked personal querstions about the number of humans and dogs residing on premise which is an untoward inquiry unless invited by the homeowner. I don´t know what it is about Chiapas or other poverty stricken places in which I have lived, but the governments in those places are always taking surveys and wanting to poke your animals with their two-bit vaccines. We no longer respond to the door knock unless we are expecting someone. Hunkering down in the land of the Zetas.

To me a more enlightened approach would have been to simply send them on their way and then see if their legitimacy could be verified. And apparently in this case they were legit. Beats freaking out and worrying about becoming a crime victim any old day.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:31 pm

raqueteer wrote:

Thank you Dawg, very well said. Next year I will most certainly visit the health department, in person, to acquire these magic pellets. They will be placed all around our property, including the disgraceful excuse for a road which has many areas of standing water, often for days at a time.

Not magic. Just the larvicide Abate. They used to give small fish that scarfed mosquito larvae to people to place in their open pilas. I haven't seen that for awhile.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Solovino wrote:
hound dog wrote:I never said to answer any personal questions, asshole. Nor accept the shots if you don't want or need them.

To me a more enlightened approach would have been to simply send them on their way and then see if their legitimacy could be verified. And apparently in this case they were legit. Beats freaking out and worrying about becoming a crime victim any old day.

All this, and you finally admit that my approach was the correct one after all. I'm losing faith here fast Solo, you're just going to have to practice up on your insult capabilities.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:38 pm

This thread was far more exciting when it was "terrorists" or whatever casing every one's house.

Solo, did you get the cheap tequila from Santa or simply lose the cork......??? Either way, I cleaned up your mess so this thread could stay in an area for all to see and stop the impending tide of panic and hysteria....
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:52 pm

raqueteer wrote:
Solovino wrote:

All this, and you finally admit that my approach was the correct one after all. I'm losing faith here fast Solo, you're just going to have to practice up on your insult capabilities.

If you would care to go back and read the first sentence of my first post in this thread you will see that I had acknowledged that very same thing. "finally some sense".

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:57 pm

CanuckBob wrote:This thread was far more exciting when it was "terrorists" or whatever casing every one's house.

Solo, did you get the cheap tequila from Santa or simply lose the cork......??? Either way, I cleaned up your mess so this thread could stay in an area for all to see and stop the impending tide of panic and hysteria....

What mess was that? raqueteers bs?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Awww geez, and I thought you had run off tail between your legs.

How about your "no I didn't let them in because I was too suspicious" post?

Do I need to do a copy and paste job here?

It was your mess on the carpet, not mine.

I see all that ladylike behavior I tried to instill was an abject failure.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Milena Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Solovino wrote:

Actually, that is just what I did. When they saw my neighbor come out of his door, they were distracted with a need to harass him, and when they turned to ask him the same two overly obtrusive questions, I shut my peep-hole door and removed myself from the scene. As for 'freaking out and worrying about becoming a crime victim...' well, if you care to read the news, you might realize that more and more people ARE becoming victims of crime all over the world. I, for one, don't think you can ever be too careful, so I will continue to wonder about strangers who ring my bell with very strange requests. If you wish to open your door to them all, go for it.

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:42 am

I only open my gate if I’m expecting someone. Everyone knows to call first, period. This is just good common sense, period.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:36 am

Everyone knows to call me first, as well. It was the same in the states...common courtesy IMO. Here, I open the window because I am not walled. Anyone who doesn't go away gets spoken to in German...seems to work well. :) One guy really ticked me off and got Japanese. If I were walled, I would ignore any unexpected visitors.

Even if they are legit, I wouldn't let anyone I don't know near my dogs. A guy came by and threw them bones the other day and I questioned that (smelled them and all but tasted them for poison).

However, if they are casing joints, I think I am good...this house came with five dogs and my five make ten...that's a lot of poison and hassle. Plus, I have a few street dogs that I feed and one of them has been staying in the front yard about half the time.

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:21 am

[quote="Solovino"]
raqueteer wrote:/quote]

Ha! You went around asking if workers from the health department had been visiting homes in your neighborhood? Come on, sweetcheeks, that's some of the lamest bullshit I've heard in a long time.

What an ass! With all the robberies going on people need to be paranoid. It is nice to have warnings about what is going on.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:51 am

The people putting small plastic bags into your fountains and standing water
are trying to stop misquitos from breeding to slow down Dengue Fever. They
also mark you door with some numbers and such so others doing the same
thing know this property is done. These people are legit and the markings are
not setting you up for robbery. Now how you determine these people are
legit or someone trying to scam us knowing people know about the misquito
folks? Ahh you can't win.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:44 pm

SusieSunshine wrote:A guy came by and threw them bones the other day and I questioned that (smelled them and all but tasted them for poison).
I trained my dog never to take "treats" from strangers and never to pick up scraps from the street.

A couple of days ago, as we were walking to the plaza, she stopped and sniffed at some rib bones on the street. I watched as she stepped over them -- and then peed on them!
lol!

Just today, while she and I were standing outside the store, waiting for Maria to finish her shopping, a little girl tossed her (the dog, not Maria) a potato chip. She left it lying on the sidewalk.

She's old now -- but the training stuck with her.

cheers
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Lehrer wrote:
SusieSunshine wrote:A guy came by and threw them bones the other day and I questioned that (smelled them and all but tasted them for poison).
I trained my dog never to take "treats" from strangers and never to pick up scraps from the street.

A couple of days ago, as we were walking to the plaza, she stopped and sniffed at some rib bones on the street. I watched as she stepped over them -- and then peed on them!
lol!

Just today, while she and I were standing outside the store, waiting for Maria to finish her shopping, a little girl tossed her (the dog, not Maria) a potato chip. She left it lying on the sidewalk.

She's old now -- but the training stuck with her.

cheers

I'm working on that. Mine look at me and wait for me to tell them it's okay when someone offers them a treat. The two older ones are good and the 8-9 month old did okay...looked at me first, but if I hadn't been there... The 3-4 month old and 4-5 month old are lost causes. They had to have them pulled out of their mouths as they both fought to get them all...little turds. :P Turned out that the guy has done it for years and everyone else knows him. I believe that the vast majority of people are good. I just don't want to completely let my guard down.

I love that she peed on them! They are marked as hers...whether she eats them or not! razberry

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2