INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Salad Dressing vs Mayonnaise?

+14
raqueteer
David
drmike
CheenaGringo
Solovino
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
hound dog
Rolly
johninajijic
ferret
gringomojado
viajero
Lehrer
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Salad Dressing vs Mayonnaise? - Page 2 Empty Re: Salad Dressing vs Mayonnaise?

Post by raqueteer Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:53 pm

ferret wrote:Nice to see you back Raqueteer. Hope you're feelin' better!

Thanks Ferret, feeling much better, but looking a bit the worse for wear, ah well, at my age who cares. ;-)

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35 pm

ferret wrote:For you teacher...
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Kraft-Miracle-Whip-Recipe.html

I was raised on it too.
Thanks for that link to the recipe; I've downloaded it, just in case. I had found another recipe a while back, but it called for 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder -- I couldn't find any, so my 1st attempt was a disaster.

Anyhow, the McCormack's that we've found is a great alternative.

(BTW, Maria informed me in the meantime that my original post is flawed, since Miracle Whip is available at the store that she has dubbed "The Highway Robbery Store"; but it sells for something like $80 - $90 MXN for a pint (?) -- a far cry from the $19.50 MXN for 420 g. mentioned above.)

Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Lehrer wrote:BTW, hound dog -- I didn't extoll any virtues; just suggested that there is an alternative around here for those that want it.
Hell, I was raised on Miracle Whip for salads and sandwiches; and that's what I like. If Mamma had spread excrement on my toast and called it peanut butter, I might have acquired a taste for that, too!
Each to his own.

lol!

But only mama´s own excrement,not the excrement of the local haberdasher Billy Bob Johnon who was always spreading his excrement about extolling the virtues of shiny green suits telling gullible rubes, "You´ll like the way you look, I guarantee it."
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Now, hound dog --
You know damned well that Billy Bob, while addressing gullible rubes, NEVER said: "You'll like...."
It was always: "Y'all er gonna lahk..."
I should know: He's a cousin on my Mamma's side!!!
Beer
lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:35 pm

[quote="Lehrer"]Now, hound dog --
You know damned well that Billy Bob, while addressing gullible rubes, NEVER said: "You'll like...."
It was always: "Y'all er gonna lahk..."
I should know: He's a cousin on my Mamma's side!!!
Beer
lol! [/quote]

Since we be doin´Southern Talk heah, Lehrer, I should tell you of the intercultural experiences of southern boys from South Alabama who marry Parisiennes of Basque heritage. Dawg was out shopping about at a local tienda in West Ajiic today and came across a small, sweet candied condiment labeled GLORIAS: Dulces de Leche de Cabra Con Nuez: Las Sevillanas. Dawg brought a bit of this candy home to his bride of French Basque heritage who, upon receiving her gift, responded; "Stop f*cking the goat."
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:38 pm

@ hound dog -

Damn! Let's don't get into intercultural/European differences!

That sweet Fräulein who eventually became Mrs. Williams (Frau Lehrer?) might just put on her hobnail boots & kick your @$$!!! (Personally, I don't mess with her!)

Evil or Very Mad

lol!

Last edited by Lehrer on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed that umlaut!)
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:25 am

Lehrer wrote:@ hound dog -

That sweet Fräulein who eventually became Mrs. Williams (Frau Lehrer?) might just put on her hobnail boots & kick your @$$!!! (Personally, I don't mess with her!)

Evil or Very Mad

lol!

Wierd drift: Someone told me the other day that the germans are trying to get rid of the term "Fraulein" and just have one term for women. Kinda like getting rid of one
of our two terms for women. (MRS and Miss) and replace with (MS). I wonder if Senorita will go eventually.

Now I return you to the previously scheduled forum which I just hijacked :-)

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Wierd drift: Someone told me the other day that the germans are trying to get rid of the term "Fraulein" and just have one term for women. Kinda like getting rid of one
of our two terms for women. (MRS and Miss) and replace with (MS).
Z
@ Zedinmexico:
I haven't heard about that proposal, but I will tell you that when my family & I were in Germany an unmarried woman over a certain age (and I don't think there is a specific number of years) had the right to be called "Frau"; I worked with a woman that fell into that category, but she preferred to be called "Fräulein"!

In the meantime, Frau Williams has asked her sister (in Germany) about this rumor and was told: "Not to my knowledge!" On the other hand, there are a minority of women who believe the word "Fräulein" is a discriminatory (insulting?) usage. There's nothing official among "the Germans."

lol!

Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
Lehrer wrote:@ hound dog -

Evil or Very Mad

lol!

Wierd drift: Someone told me the other day that the germans are trying to get rid of the term "Fraulein" and just have one term for women. Kinda like getting rid of one
of our two terms for women. (MRS and Miss) and replace with (MS). I wonder if Senorita will go eventually.

Now I return you to the previously scheduled forum which I just hijacked :-)

Z

A MS-like term in Mexico and Central America is " Seño" this is getting more popular all the time.

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Dawg, yer a food snob. Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Solovino wrote:I've heard the Greeks prefer Miracle Whip to olive oil.

I don't think so. What would they use it for, lol

Best mayo I've ever made & super easy:

1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon hot water
Directions:

1. Whizz 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil with the egg, lemon juice, dry mustard and salt in a blender for a few seconds.
2 Slowly drizzle the remaining 3/4 cup of vegetable oil into the mixture (through the top hatch) while the blender is running.
3 Finally, blend in the hot water.
4 Refrigerate until use.

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-mayonnaise-in-the-blender-92815

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:39 pm

I know this is in a blender so that is different but the original mayonnaise is made with one egg yolk some Dijon mustard oil and sometimes lemon.
We do not use powder mustard or hot water or the white of the egg.Salt and pepper.Use a fork or an egg beater.
The only trick is that the ingredients have to all be at room temperature.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:41 pm

when you all are talking about powdered mustard, are you referring to ground mustard? I ground some mustard seeds in the coffee grinder.

brigette, do you have a good dijon mustard recipe? your recipe varies a bit from Juila Child's. How authentic did Julia's cooking compar to real French cooking?

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:41 pm

My mother taught me how to make mayonnaise so I never looked for a recipe and could not help you with a mustard recipe as we buy Dijon mustard the way you would buy Heinz ketchup in the States.

I do not know anyone who makes their own mustard unless it is to be use in these awful things they used to put on your chest when you had a cough.
I would have no idea how to make mustard. I know they use the seeds as well as wine vinegar but that is it...

Julia Child´s food was very authentic. She studied in a good French cooking school as well as lived there for many years.
France has many different regional cuisines so the same recipe can have a different twist depending on the region you come from.
The north uses butter and peanut oil and the south uses olive oil for cooking so the southern mayonnaise maybe made with olive oil.
My mother was from the Loire Valley so she used peanut oil.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:29 am

Lehrer wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Wierd drift: Someone told me the other day that the germans are trying to get rid of the term "Fraulein" and just have one term for women. Kinda like getting rid of one
of our two terms for women. (MRS and Miss) and replace with (MS).
Z
@ Zedinmexico:
I haven't heard about that proposal, but I will tell you that when my family & I were in Germany an unmarried woman over a certain age (and I don't think there is a specific number of years) had the right to be called "Frau"; I worked with a woman that fell into that category, but she preferred to be called "Fräulein"!

In the meantime, Frau Williams has asked her sister (in Germany) about this rumor and was told: "Not to my knowledge!" On the other hand, there are a minority of women who believe the word "Fräulein" is a discriminatory (insulting?) usage. There's nothing official among "the Germans."

lol!

Read it on an article about womens titles changing around the world and Fraulein is on the list with Miss, Seniorita, etc etc. Not surprised the germans don't know about it.
I think it is something the Social Facists (type of PC) have come up with to make us more equal. Who knows?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:58 am

Forget all those politically correct titles for either sex. My wife is Mi Jefa - enough said. i am such a wimp relative to my Frogette.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 am

hound dog wrote:Forget all those politically correct titles for either sex. My wife is Mi Jefa - enough said. i am such a wimp relative to my Frogette.
Frogette jaja keep it up and you'll be in the dawg house.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Read it on an article about womens titles changing around the world and Fraulein is on the list with Miss, Seniorita, etc etc. Not surprised the germans don't know about it.
I think it is something the Social Facists (type of PC) have come up with to make us more equal. Who knows?
Z
Your post indicates that it is a fringe element who wants to change the language, but not the German populace as a whole.

Personally, I think the whole "equality" thing, when it comes to language usage, is ludicrous. In the U.S., women no longer want to be an "actress" but an "actor" (as well as other parallels); and a "manhole" has to be a "people-hole"; etc. (God forbid that one should refer to it as a "woman-hole"!!!)
lol!
When I studied French, I learned that nouns are either masculine or feminine and that the generic was always the masculine form and included both genders, as in "mes amis." (Am I right, Brigitte?)
Then, as I learned German, I had to distinguish between masculine, feminine, and neuter nouns. It was amazing to me that "Fräulein" was neuter!
Now, I see that Spanish includes the feminine gender in words such as "los niños" -- and I wonder: What the hell is the problem??? Centuries of language usage should be discarded and altered because of Political Correctness?? There are some folks that, no matter how hard one tries, will never be satisfied, will always feel slighted, and will always suffer from an inferiority complex.
Oh, well....
lol!

Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:50 pm

hound dog wrote:Forget all those politically correct titles for either sex. My wife is Mi Jefa - enough said. i am such a wimp relative to my Frogette.
Sounds like you and I have a lot in common.
But I expect "la madam" is easier on you than "die Frau" is on me!!!

Blackeye

lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Madame is the title of a married woman une madame is whorehouse manager . WHICH ONE OF THE TWO ARE YOU CALLING ME?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:35 pm

You should know that only dead languages are fixed in time all other languages keep changing hence the difference between French Canadian and Metropole French.

We have a great exemple in French of that change.
We have the word to kiss which is baiser and to embrace someone which is
embrasser
A man greeting a woman by kissing her hand is baiser la main but if you want to say to a woman you would like to kiss her hello you use the word embrasser if you use baiser it means to f.ck
Languages change with the customs and the politically correct stuff may stick or may not but meanwhile this is the spoken language , like it or not.
I have never seen that usage explained in books and my German friend found out the hard way when she told my brother she wanted to kiss him using the word baiser.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:06 pm

@ brigitte -

I had to put this together with Google Translate, combined with my limited knowledge of French:

Je suis sincèrement désolé si j'ai offensé. Je suis diplômé de l'université en 1966 avec une mineure en français, mais je n'ai jamais vraiment maîtrisé la langue française comme je le faisais de la langue allemande.

Je voulais dire «la madame» comme «ta femme» et non pas vous insulter en aucune façon.

J'ai dit que ma femme est «la madame» (en allemand) et elle n'est certainement ni pute ni gestionnaire bordel.

S'il vous plaît pardonnez-moi; l'infraction a été involontaire.

(Note: When I had a French foreign-exchange student many years ago, he informed me that "bicyclette" (sp?) had become "vélo" and only old people used the former word! I don't claim to be expert in French, but I'd like to be.)

lol!

Very Happy

Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 am

No offense.
I knew what you said in German I took 13 years of it and went to Germany to school every year for many years. I forgot most of what I learned but I can figure things out when I need to.
I also took some Indo-European talking about dead languages, old English and all kinds of totally useless subjects. By the way if I remember one of he classes woman could be a masculine word since it means with man. Wonder why it is feminin. Good old Anglo-saxon sexism, did not even bother to come up with a word for femme.
It is super easy to screw up in another language but without speaking you cannot learn so viva los screw-ups!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:52 pm

hound dog wrote:
Rolly wrote:Hounddawg should be on soon with a thousand words about mayo. It's one of his hot buttons.

Of course, the French make the greatest mayonnaise on the planet including the sublime garlic mayonnaise known as aioli - a concoction worthy of consumption by the Gods up there in the ether.

dawg speaks authoritatively:

* There is only one decent commercially prepared mayonnaise available in Mexico and that is Best Foods. Hellmans in Mexico has been desecrated by a formula compromising its original recipe and turning into a maddenly incomprehensible store bought "salad dressing" for the common pig rut reeking of lime juice and sugar. A disgusting product unworthy of the Hellmans sold in the United States. Best Foods, on the other hand, retains the formula dictated by the giant conglomerate UNILEVER which produces both products and Dawg can imagine the intercorporate imbroglio going on over there at UNILEVER. How sustainably entertaining.

* Great mayonnaise produced in the United States is an oxymoron and Mexican mayonnaise is an inconceivable concept.

While my friend Lehrer disappoints me in extolling the virtues of Miracle Whip, Dawg must admit that that is a fine concoction for freeing up broccoli stumps congesting the garbage disposal. Just add two tablespoons of Miracle Whip to the garbage disposal whirl and the leftovers will slide down there to join the other waste and excrement on the way to Lake Chapala.

Well, I know I come late to this conversation, but.... I beg to differ Señor Perro. The marvelous *McCormic's Mayonesa con Limón* is something sublime... and when we return to the frozen north we seek it out and buy it when it is to be found. And... lest we forget... La Costeña makes a very good *Mayonesa con jugo de limones*...Mmmm-mm-good... Lizzy

bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2