INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapala is not a slum

+17
hockables
Jim W
brigitte
hound dog
martygraw
gringal
Lehrer
Mainecoons
johninajijic
Chapalagringa
viajero
David
oncesubtle
CanuckBob
Intercasa
susan
mikey1953
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chapala is not a slum - Page 2 Empty Re: Chapala is not a slum

Post by susan Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:41 pm

again sir you make sweeping generalizations, & assumptions. you do not know where i have or have not been. telling people how they "should" think? or "should" feel is not libertarian. "fact" as you call it, is not only your feelings, "fact" is also mine, & others. you are correct, i do not care if people understand me. (i understand me). what you see is what you get, its clean its clear. my motto is take it or leave it. if we think alike thats great, if we dont, we dont. being honest & true to myself is what is important. i am not selling anything (especially myself), & keep it real. again i say you make grand assumptions, w/a tad of hidden nastiness. if someone is not exactly the same as you, you try to put them in a box, think you know their story. you have been here how long? try over 2 generations. how would you know where i have, or have not been? or what i know or dont know? & if a person has a different tastes or life different than yours, you are "amazed"& "amused" (i use your words). there are others you know.

Last edited by susan on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added one sentence)

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:12 am

It seems to me that Ajijic needs to do more about its image than getting rid of grafitti.

Why are so many people moving from Ajijic?

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:36 am

mikey1953 wrote:It seems to me that Ajijic needs to do more about its image than getting rid of grafitti.

Why are so many people moving from Ajijic?

Where do you get the idea that Ajijic has an image problem. You have the graffiti caused by your many gangs and you haven't cleaned it up. That shows a lack of pride of homeowners there.

There are more houses for sale here because there are more gringos and gated communities in Ajijic. Thus a more desirable place to live for North Americanos. Chapala does not have anywhere near the construction going on that Ajijic has had and is still ongoing. It has few if any gated communities.

North Americans stopped moving to Chapala years ago. Why is that? Because Ajijic is more desirable. Ajijic is a quaint village, not a city, like Chapala. North Americans prefer Ajijic to Chapala.

There will always be rivalry between homeowners who live in both places.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 am

Ajijic, "A quaint village" I think not
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 am

mikey1953 wrote:Susan, I do read your post with much amazement and amusement.
I even agree with you on a couple of points...you are not me.
And you certainly do not have to do anything to "validate" me....validation from you would have little meaning
And it is probably best that you do not visit Chapala...you might not find your way back home.
And I am glad you do not care if anybody understands you......that allows you to spout off anything that comes to your mind whether or not based on fact. But I do care what others think of me and that they are open-minded enough to listen to the opinions of others because they might learn something new.

As for me being a Marxist....you should ask some of my Tea Party buddies about that...you do know what the Tea Party is, don't you?
Tea Party, oh dear, I liked you better when you were a marxist.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

Very good, Chris. lol
I am not a marixist or tea party member . I just wanted to get some reaction from Susan. Oviously the two generations she has been here have done a job on her.

John, if Ajijic is so quaint and desirable, why is it that that house prices are being dropped so drastically and why is it that you are hiding out in the SAFE gated comminity? You said earlier living behind bars is like living in a prison. Can we say the same thing about living being the gates such as you?

Quick question? Is your community so safe that the homes there are not secured by bars or some other secure measures>

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:11 pm

[quote="Lehrer"][quote="Chapalagringa"]
Hey! I want my "something"!!!
Tizapán on the South Shore should merit some kind of award!
lol

Lehrer´s not only having admitted that he moved from thuggish Riberas del Pilar to hickish and hopelessly isolated Tizapán but having also strutted about the internet bragging, for God´s sake, at his extraordinary discernment at choosing crapholes in which to live, reminds me of a story from my past.

During the latter years of Dawg´s career as a commercial banker, I lived in the Mayacamas Mountains between pedestrian Santa Rosa and precious Saint Helena, California while working daily in the southern Napa County town of Napa lending money to redneck grape farmers (known as vineyardists in Napa) and fine wineries and daily I commuted up the Napa Valley through Saint Helena and then up the mountains to my isolated hideaway in the Doug Fir zone and that commute took me through the old farm towns cum residential treasures for Silicon Valley billionaires set among the vineyards and one of those towns was known as Rutherford which had within its confines a bar in which I liked to stop for a drink or two on my way home in the evening. Well, this bar claimed as denizens a bunch of old goats from the nearby veteran´s home who would sneak out at night to drink and eat snacks provided at the bar. Over time, Dawg got to know some of these old sots who (this was the mid-90s) were typically in their 80s and native to the Napa Valley when it was a dirt poor prune growing region before it was converted to vineyards. These guys had been young to middle aged farmers and orchardists before the historically dirt poor Napa Valley became the hoity-toity second-residence-among-the-vineyards weekend retreat for Bay Area swells and Silicon Valley entrepreneurs.

Before I go on with this story I must acquaint those of you unfamiliar with the Napa Valley with some historical facts. While the Napa Valley has a certain cachet among wine drinkers and is generally thought of as an exclusive land inhabited by the wealthy and sophisticated living among splendid hills and vineyards, it is more that that. The county seat and largest town of Napa is actually a bit of an ugly and unimposing industrial burg of little note with, in those days, one institution that provided significant employment and that was the Napa Hospital for the Criminally Insane which was (as is) located in an area known locally as Imola. Imola was at best an ordinary place with a reputation besmirched by the existence of this huge insane asylum so, to say the least, this was a place where people lived of necessity, not for bragging rights.

Anyway; this ancient veteran and I would occasionally share a drink or two in this bar in Rutherford, he having snuck out from under the stern discipline of Nurse Cratchet and I having snuck out from under the stern overview of the bank´s chief credit office to commute to my mountain redoubt and, as my veteran friend progressively became engulfed in his cups, he would start reminiscencing about the old days in the Rutherford town of his youth during the 1930s and 1940s. He told me that, in those days, when that whole area was primarily planted to prune orchards and the like, Rutherford - the darling of the Bay Area swells and Silicon Valley technocrats in the 1990s - was such a low-life place to live that nobody wanted to admit to having been from there much less still of the bunghole. He told me, "We used to lie about where we were from. We used to tell anyone who inquired that we were form Imola since to be from Rutherford was to be a designated clodbusting yahoo for life. Can you believe these rich imbeciles are payiing us millions of dollars for farm shacks we could not have given away 20 years ago? " He thought that was about the funniest thing he had observed in his 80 plus year on the planet.

¨Perhaps Lehrer is on to something and Tizapán is the next Rutherford or Saint Helena. Sometimes bright stars hide in rudimentary packages. Quick - go out and invest in Tizapán before it´s too late.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Hey Mikey,glad you have a sense of humor,welcome aboard,maybe we should have an emoticon for (tongue in cheek) but I'm sure that would be misinterpreted by some, if you know what I mean.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:35 pm

I know exactly what you mean......I wonder do Susan and John..

And you are probably correct about the emoticon.

I will do my best to keep my tongue where most think it belongs so not to be misinterpreted by some..,, or will I

I think the ones that matter to me understand the points that I try to make....whether it is from my marxist side or my tea party side.

And thanks for welcoming me aboard. I am looking forward to a fun ride!!

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Ditto on welcoming Mikey to the fray.

To get totally hokey: Take your love seriously. Take your work seriously, but only if you love it. But for gawdssake, don't take yourself too seriously. Mikey's got it right, and the humor-impaired are no fun atall.

Maybe the people with a Marxist and a Tea Party side are better off than the hopelessly committed.
cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:28 pm

hound dog wrote:Perhaps Lehrer is on to something and Tizapán is the next Rutherford or Saint Helena. Sometimes bright stars hide in rudimentary packages. Quick - go out and invest in Tizapán before it´s too late.

Hell, no!!!

Maria & I don't want Tizapán to turn into "Gringolandia" like the North Shore. We enjoy being part of the minority. Everybody, please stay where you are!!!

lol!

BTW, hound dog, I learned something today from your post. I always thought that a prune was just a dried plum. Now I've learned that there are (or used to be) prune orchards in Napa Valley.

Very Happy
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Actually this is what they are called in the Napa and Sonoma Valley. I always thought a prune was a dried fruit but he farmers there who have the orchard will tell you they are called prunes. It is a local term and since the latin name starts with prunus it all makes sense.
The majority ofl these beautiful orchards have long been replaced by vineyards

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 pm

ajijic was always more desirable as a place to live. chapala is cheaper. they are building in ajijic for the mexicans. (from guadalajara). sometimes they over build so prices come down. there are more robberies in ajijic as there is more to steal. @least thats the "word on the street". ajijic does have ugly streets as well as beautiful ones. there are supermarkets w/special american products, chapala has better selection of vegetables. its the kind of place you have to do a double tranquilizer, & get a cab fast to get out, the depression can linger. but then again, that walmart area in ajijic is cut from the same cake. no walmart is not on my list for special american products. both places, ajijic & chapala are ghetto fabulous. still no contest, ajijic is nicer, i do not consider it a prison. but them again "nice" is in the eyes of the beholder.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:
"... Chapala, the only Norteamericanos that want to live there are the ones who cannot affort "beautiful Ajjijic" or the cheap Canadians like pedro, who live on the Carretera in his disgusting blue and yellow house. Chapala is a dump by comparison to Ajijic, the houses, the roads, etc, etc."
Frankly....the whole world is gay

Frankly, I think Lake Chapala is one of the ugliest lakes I've ever seen, next to Honey Lake in Northern California. However, the Chapala mountain view is similar to another paradise, Hawaii. So, you get what you pay for. Go ahead, pay $100K for a lot w/a Lake Chapala view or @ $25K for a mountain view. harharhar! Blow your hard earned money on what you like. What a snobby, arrogant comment to make.

I have convinced myself that it's not so bad. One does acclimate & see the beauty where ever they live but I really did think it was pretty darn ugly the first time we came out here. :)

I don't find Ajijic desirable at all. If you live there, by all means enjoy. Not my cup of tea. Besides that, he doesn't even live "in" Ajijic but the country side. Not the best mountain views either. razberry
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:09 pm

The whole thread is an example of trying to "make it okay" to live where we live and to reinforce our opinion that we exercised superior judgment in selecting such a location.

I remember moving to Mexico some time ago and landing in San Miguel de Allende, where I lasted three years before moving here. If you want to hear some real boosterism, check out their local forums. You'll hear that you just aren't anybody if you don't live there.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:
"... Chapala, the only Norteamericanos that want to live there are the ones who cannot affort "beautiful Ajjijic" or the cheap Canadians like pedro, who live on the Carretera in his disgusting blue and yellow house. Chapala is a dump by comparison to Ajijic, the houses, the roads, etc, etc."Lifes like a sewer ...you only get what you put into it

Frankly, I think Lake Chapala is one of the ugliest lakes I've ever seen, next to Honey Lake in Northern California. However, the Chapala mountain view is similar to another paradise, Hawaii. So, you get what you pay for. Go ahead, pay $100K for a lot w/a Lake Chapala view or @ $25K for a mountain view. harharhar! Blow your hard earned money on what you like. What a snobby, arrogant comment to make.

I have convinced myself that it's not so bad. One does acclimate & see the beauty where ever they live but I really did think it was pretty darn ugly the first time we came out here. :)

I don't find Ajijic desirable at all. If you live there, by all means enjoy. Not my cup of tea. Besides that, he doesn't even live "in" Ajijic but the country side. Not the best mountain views either. razberry
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Here is another example CBOB Dead Horse Dead Horse

[/quote]
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Susan, whose "word on the street" says there is more to steal in Ajijic than in Chapala?

Have they found out what happened to the Chili Cookoff Banner in Ajijic yet?

The one on the carreterra as you enter "slummy Chapala" is flying high and safe.

So in this case, Sssan, there is one thing more to steal in Chapala than in Ajijic.

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 pm

criminals are not marxists. they know all is not created equal. being enterprising, they go where the $ is. thats a no brainer.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:55 am

but some are more equal than others......

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 am

I Like slumming it... I have met several people in Chapala ... most seem community minded, to a degree ( mas o menos ) the shopping and recreation activities are abundant... volleyball is a blast ( tues, thurs, & sat @ Christiana Park )

Folks I have met in Ajijic seem more quiet and reserved... but the population is a little older ( interesting, as the cobblestones are the hardest streets to walk on ) ... Ajijic also has what most appreciate...great restaraunts, shopping, parks.

Jocotepec is one I am currently exploring... Joco-peckers are a friendly lot...have the regular coffee row in the town square... the street vendors always have an abundance of FRESH fruits and veggies ( someone might get their panties in a knot over that one )
I will be the fella walking down the street stuffing his face with raspberries and strawberries :)

ya'll should try living in the country... no restaraunts, no shopping, no parks ( just fields and trails ) no neighbours bitching at each other about who lives in the nicest house, community, country... etc

mariachi
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:06 am

[quote="Lehrer
BTW, hound dog, I learned something today from your post. I always thought that a prune was just a dried plum. Now I've learned that there are (or used to be) prune orchards in Napa Valley. Very Happy [/quote]

Always glad I can help, Lehrer. Dawg, at a time long ago, was a banker to both wine grape growers and prune orchardists among other entrepreneurs in the Napa and Sacramento Valleys in Northern California and, since I helped enlighten you about "prunes", which are a particular type of plum, I will enlighten you and let you know that "almond" is pronounced "amond" among Sacramento Valley almond growers and to mispronounce "amonds" as "almonds" immediately identifies one as an "auslander" of dubious character. More importantly, whether one as a banker is lending against prunes or grapes, one becomes accutely aware of the variability of commodity prices and the cash flow or lack of same generated by the crops to pay one back whether one is lending against "prunes" or "plums".
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:15 am

hound dog wrote:[quote="Lehrer
BTW, hound dog, I learned something today from your post. I always thought that a prune was just a dried plum. Now I've learned that there are (or used to be) prune orchards in Napa Valley. Very Happy

Always glad I can help, Lehrer. Dawg, at a time long ago, was a banker to both wine grape growers and prune orchardists among other entrepreneurs in the Napa and Sacramento Valleys in Northern California and, since I helped enlighten you about "prunes", which are a particular type of plum, I will enlighten you and let you know that "almond" is pronounced "amond" among Sacramento Valley almond growers and to mispronounce "amonds" as "almonds" immediately identifies one as an "auslander" of dubious character. More importantly, whether one as a banker is lending against prunes or grapes, one becomes accutely aware of the variability of commodity prices and the cash flow or lack of same generated by the crops to pay one back whether one is lending against "prunes" or "plums".[/quote]

Prunes do have a way of paying Bubba back.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:13 pm

hound dog wrote:... I will enlighten you and let you know that "almond" is pronounced "amond" among Sacramento Valley almond growers and to mispronounce "amonds" as "almonds" immediately identifies one as an "auslander" of dubious character.
That letter "a" is a tricky s.o.b. I would have written "ahmond" since it is a broad "a" (according to Webster's); also, there are differences in the pronunciation of "salmon" -- as I found out when I visited my son in Seattle.

Regional differences are what they are.

Chapala is not a slum - Page 2 Big-smiley-001

Last edited by Lehrer on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added the reference to Webster's)
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:21 pm

arbon wrote:Prunes do have a way of paying Bubba back.

Is that what they mean when they say: "You're full of prunes!"?

Chapala is not a slum - Page 2 Smiley-ashamed003
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 pm

[quote="Lehrer"]
hound dog wrote:... I will enlighten you and let you know that "almond" is pronounced "amond" among Sacramento Valley almond growers and to mispronounce "amonds" as "almonds" immediately identifies one as an "auslander" of dubious character.
That letter "a" is a tricky s.o.b. I would have written "ahmond" since it is a broad "a" (according to Webster's); also, there are differences in the pronunciation of "salmon" -- as I found out when I visited my son in Seattle.

Regional differences are what they are.

Chapala is not a slum - Page 2 Big-smiley-001[/quote]

Actually, well said for a midwestern rube. Dawg had wondered how to render the sound correctly but lacks knowledge in English fundamentals, pitfart.

By the way, I hesitated originally to tell you this but the folk wisdon in the Sacramento Valley where countless thousands of acres are given over to almond tree cultivation, is that, since almonds are normally harvested by shaking the trees with expensive machinery, the harvesting process knocks the "L" out of them. This is a local joke which you may find a bit off-putting.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next