INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memory Foam Mattress

+9
mattoleriver
LMarkoya
gringal
Zedinmexico
ferret
SunFan
gatosigi
johninajijic
Ms.Thang
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Empty Memory Foam Mattress

Post by Ms.Thang Tue May 15, 2012 9:41 am

I would like to buy a memory foam mattress, I looked at the ones that Sealy makes at DormiMundo in Ajijic and liked it a lot. The one I liked was the thickest one with the highest density, and highest price of course. It comes with a 20 year warranty that covers "Everything" and costs $19,000.00 pesos for a queensize and includes the base.
I would certainly consider another brand but I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality (or too much of that warranty), for a lower price. I'm not crazy about shopping in Guadalajara but I would if there was a significant savings.
I would love to hear from people who use any brand (Oonly the Memory foam, not "with" memory foam) and where you bought it, how you li8ke it, price and so on.
Thanks!

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Empty Re: Memory Foam Mattress

Post by johninajijic Tue May 15, 2012 11:53 am

I do not have one, but if I were in the market for something that high priced, I would check the Tempur Pedic store in GDL at Galerias Mall.

The Dorimundo stores are huge in Mexico. Sealy will be a copy cat, but could be as good. Personally I will NEVER buy anyuthing with Sealy's name again. I bought a quality Sealy Posturepedic Pillow Top before coming here. After 2 years it had sags in the mattress. I was SOL, because I bought it in the States. Paid $ 1,300. US for it.

All American manufacturers now make Memory Foam mattresses. Look up Consumer Reports and check. Is the Sealy American made or Mexican made? One of the negatives I have heard is that they are hot to sleep on.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gatosigi Wed May 16, 2012 2:10 pm

I need a very soft mattress -- have to sleep on my side. Furniture 4 Less at Carr. # 119 in San Antonio sold me a matrimonial 10 cm memory foam pad for p$4,300. I put it on a cheapo mattress that came with the house and it is perfect. I have another on top of a regular foam mattress and a friend with severe back problems loved it.
I too had heard that they were hot but I have no complaints about that.

gatosigi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Fri May 18, 2012 10:22 am

We've had a TempurPedic for about 6 years now and absolutely love it. In fact we brought it down with us from Torornto when we moved last December.

No other mattress like it that we've found.
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri May 18, 2012 2:36 pm

I can tell you that the Therapedic Store in the Gallerias Mall is WAY more expensive. We bought ours from Furniture 4 Less and are very happy and sleeping like babies.
FYI, the Therapedic store wanted 3,000 pesos just for a king size pillow. No way Jose!
AND, read the warranties...really not worth the paper they're written on.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue May 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Furniture for Less in San Antonio/Riberas area sold me a very good king
size Tempurpedic clone for a very good price. To keep the heat from bothering
you put on a 100%cotton mattress pad both covering and inside the
mattress pad. This makes them much cooler and the moisture from your
body has a place to go. Slept on memory foam for 20 years. So so happy
to get a memory foam matress again. Ferret and I agree on this one and
sleeping like a baby is right. Gave my 20 year old one to my nephew and
he came back and told me he had the best sleep of his life last night.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue May 22, 2012 4:07 pm

We have one in our guest room. Friend came to visit after having hip surgery after a bad fall and said it was the first good nights rest she'd had since the event. Good suggestion to put the cotton in between, especially in this warm weather.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu May 24, 2012 1:15 pm

I finally made it over to Furniture For Less and they have a memory foam mattress in stock , many THOUSANDS of pesos less than Dormimundo BUT...the one they have is the one that is less dense...meaning more firm. The salesman said that with time the foam gives a little and feels softer. He also said that people complain that with the softer ones they have trouble turning over and those are the ones that "sleep hot" .
I tried both at Dormimundo and liked the one with higher density, the softer one. I did notice that the covers on the tempur knock-offs were cheapy synthetic things and I think that a top notch cotton mattress cover would be an absolute.

So, memory foam owners, what do you have to say about soft vs firm? Anything I need to know there?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 pm

OK...first time I got on my Tempurpedic, thought I was on cement...but after actually sleeping on it, my (and my wife's) oppinion changed dramatically. The hardmess came to be appreciated and was much better for support. After the initial feeling of cement, it actually became quite comfortable, and much preferable to the softer knock off we got for one of the kids.

Its been > 10 years and still love the orig hard version, and...has never been a problem
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu May 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Thank you LMarkoya...That helps a lot because I had kind of suspected this might be the case.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 pm

My pleasure
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu May 24, 2012 7:00 pm

ferret has said that the warranties are next to worthless. If that's the case, I don't know what each warranty covers, regardless of price who do you think will be there to back up your warranty? INO, It won't be Furniture for Less, who is small and sells knock offs. He'll be long gone way before DORIMUNDO which is a huge Mexican chain or TEMPUR PEDIC, the "Original".

And whose quality will be better, not Furniture for Less. You get what you pay for!!! But it's your money
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri May 25, 2012 9:23 am

johninajijic wrote:ferret has said that the warranties are next to worthless. If that's the case, I don't know what each warranty covers, regardless of price who do you think will be there to back up your warranty? INO, It won't be Furniture for Less, who is small and sells knock offs. He'll be long gone way before DORIMUNDO which is a huge Mexican chain or TEMPUR PEDIC, the "Original".

And whose quality will be better, not Furniture for Less. You get what you pay for!!! But it's your money

John sorry but are you a chemist??? Well memory foam is not a secret. I have purchased two before which were clones and they still are around 15/20 years later.
This is my third clone. You must really want to pay for a whole bunch of advertising and little foam samples to be mailed out which is about the only difference
between the original and a clone. The price difference is over 2x. Sure you don't want to look at a clone now? Also don't put down Furniture for less. They also
sell Palliser recliners/sofa and are the most professional place I have seen down here. He actually listens to you. One last point I don't think I have ever had a
matress fail in my life so who cares about a warranty?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 am

OK..there are differences in clones, so one has to be careful. Yes, the Tempurpedic are much more expensive, and here NOB there are LOTS of other choices...some good some not. As I said my wife and I have had the Tempurpedic (Got mine used for a fraction of the cost) but we got one kid a knockoff...softer and not so good...and other a knockoff at Bob's stores which is just about as good as the orig. So you'll need to check the density and spend a little time on the mattress before going with a clone....there are a LOT of different densities and even some differences in core materials, so its not as simple as taking the best price
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 am

Zed quote - " I don't think I have ever had a matress fail in my life so who cares about a warranty?"

This is not true. I bought an expensive ($ 1,300 US) Sealy Posturepedic Pillow Top mattress before coming to Mexico. it was not supposed to sag. After 2 years, it sagged at least 2 inches. I was SOL with the warranty. I would NEVER buy anything with Sealy's name on it again. A total piece of crap.

Zed - I know Palliser sofas. We own 2 leather sofas which we brought down new from the States. Best leather sofas made for the price and best warranty. Did you buy a Palliser sofa pr recliner at Furniture for Less? What was the warranty?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri May 25, 2012 3:59 pm

johninajijic wrote:Zed quote - " I don't think I have ever had a matress fail in my life so who cares about a warranty?"

This is not true. I bought an expensive ($ 1,300 US) Sealy Posturepedic Pillow Top mattress before coming to Mexico. it was not supposed to sag. After 2 years, it sagged at least 2 inches. I was SOL with the warranty. I would NEVER buy anything with Sealy's name on it again. A total piece of crap.

Zed - I know Palliser sofas. We own 2 leather sofas which we brought down new from the States. Best leather sofas made for the price and best warranty. Did you buy a Palliser sofa pr recliner at Furniture for Less? What was the warranty?

Wow what a bummer to lose a mattress. Bought a Palliser dark red leather couch with recliners on the ends and a dark mustard yellow recliner that is perfect for my wife
and I as we have short legs and most furniture doesn't fit us. Most furniture is just to deep for us leaving the back of our lower legs in an uncomfortable position.
Palliser has a factory here so they are both made in Mexico which makes us happy. Very happy with both pieces as we had to leave our short person lazy boys up
at my Mom's house when the cost of shipping went sky high last year. Never looked at the warranty to be honest. Probably nieve I admit but never had problems
before. I was just happy to find the kind of furniture we fit in at a fair price and the transaction was handled in a very civilized manner. He literally had everything
we wanted at one place at a good price. No deception like NOB. I know the name of the store sounds wierd but he is a pro and I mean that in a good way. He
listens.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Sat May 26, 2012 4:09 am

I work for a large manufacturer of various foams including memory foam.
We make the foam and assemble the foam parts of mattresses for several
different mattress makers. We make and assemble the foam and they put
their cover (and their name) on it. Some of our customers names would be
instantly recognized by most of you and others probably would not be
recognized by anybody in this discussion. I do not personally work with
memory foam but I am around it every day.

Something that I have not seen mentioned here is that memory foam really
makes up a fairly small portion of a mattress. A mattress will
generally have 6"-10" of one or more core foams with a 2"-4" memory foam
topper. Some cores are one layer of relatively cheap foam and other
cores have varying thicknesses of up to four different foams. Some cores
are simply stacked layers of foam but others include perimeter pieces
to stiffen the edges of the mattress; some include a layer of latex;
some have a gel skin; etc. The core is probably more important than the
memory foam topper. You will sink into the memory foam topper but the
core will support you. Think of it this way, if you put a 2" memory foam
pad on a hard floor it wouldn't make much of a sleeping pad but if,
instead, you put 2" of core foam on a hard floor it would make a
passable (not great!) sleeping pad.

The memory foam itself is defined by thickness, density and IFD rating. The IFD rating is the most
descriptive and also the most subjective---you'll just have to feel it
to know what you like. Not all memory foams are equal, some wear better,
some are hotter to sleep on, some emit a chemical odor, etc.

Good luck!
George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sat May 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks George , that's great information. Of course, that product labeling practice happens with everything from canned corn to washing machines...same product, different label, crazy price difference... and I had guessed that it applied to mattress products also. I am surprised to learn that all memory foam is not created equal, I thought it was sort of like aspirin, same thing no matter what the label.

When shopping for a memory foam mattress , they just tell you the thickness of the whole mattress and that's it. No mention of the other layers and when asked some have no clue.
The more I shop around for a Memory foam mattress I am amazed at how little the salespeople tell you about the construction of their product. Since I have done some internet investigating, I seem to know more about them than the salespeople I have talked to know. IFD rating is never mentioned. The guy at Dormimundo seemed to know least of all, and such an expensive product! Forget Dormimundo, whatever you are looking for someone else is selling it for at least half the price, if not more.

I even looked into one mattress sold on Mercadolibre for an exceptional price plus $500.00 pesos shipping ... (No base, but I already have one) . They will even let you try it out for up to 90 days and return it for a full refund if you don't like it, all you pay is the return shipping. The thing they DON'T tell you is that the mattress comes in a smallish box weighing around 100 lbs. You take the thing out and then within 24 hours it expands to it's full size. After that , there is no stuffing it back into the little box so you would be faced with shipping a whole mattress back to the dealer. I have considered that at such a low price as that, I could just buy a topper that would bring it to my comfort level and could be replaced at a low cost a few years down the road if necessary.
I thought that , when new, they all have a chemical odor that fades within a couple of weeks? Are there some that will never lose that odor? The main thing I am concerned about is that "sleeping hot" thing...because I tend to be hot and have slept on some high end pillow-tops that made me sweat.

There is an awful lot to consider when buying a memory foam mattress, I have bought cars with way less shopping around consideration that I have given this!
I've heard from several people offering to sell me used ones, which I am considering also.

Thanks so much for all the great information!

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat May 26, 2012 1:04 pm

I too would have to do an awful lot of investigating before buying one.

Is there a reason you want to buy a Memory Foam mattress vs. a good quality Coil spring pillow top? May be just as comfortable, no??
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sat May 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Well, I wake up every morning feeling like I have been beaten with a bat...been told I have fibromyalgia. People in pain will try anything.
I have never bought a high end mattress but I have slept on some very good ones. I think my dad paid $5000.00 usd for the Pillow top coil spring mattress I sleep on when I visit him for 3 weeks twice a year ... It's very nice but doesn't make much of a difference. Water mattresses either.

I've never spent a night on a memory foam mattress, just tried them out in stores but they feel wonderful, like everything is being supported and no pressure on any body part. I've always wanted one but the expense is daunting since I don't know if it will help my pain or help me sleep better...I'm a terrible insomniac.

Several of the stores I have been to offer a trial period and that is worth paying a little more, or in the case that I buy a used one I won't have lost that much and can put it in the guest room if I really don't like it.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm

I have never slept on a memory foam mattress of any type and have no opinion on them. Always slept on a pillow top up until a couple of months ago when we switched to a Sleep Number Standard King because of back issues. And now, we are both true believers in this concept! If we were in Mexico, I would take a very hard look at purchasing one and having it shipped down. Since this bed doesn't have a box spring, they fill that space with a modular injection molded plastic platform and one wouldn't need that part since any platform would suffice. These beds come in a series of manageable sized boxes and assembly is quite simple. One also has the option of adding a memory foam topper. Once we both figured out our individual "sleep number" sleeping has been wonderful!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat May 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Ms Thang - I can understand how you feel. We used to have a waterbed in the States and absolutely loved it. Our King mattress is very saggy (a Sealy Crapopedic). We need a new one, but since we're moving i'm not ready to shell out $ 1500 - $ 2000 US for a mattress.

CG - My neighbor has a Sleep Number and loves it.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat May 26, 2012 4:56 pm

mattoleriver wrote:I work for a large manufacturer of various foams including memory foam.
We make the foam and assemble the foam parts of mattresses for several
different mattress makers. We make and assemble the foam and they put
their cover (and their name) on it. Some of our customers names would be
instantly recognized by most of you and others probably would not be
recognized by anybody in this discussion. I do not personally work with
memory foam but I am around it every day.

Something that I have not seen mentioned here is that memory foam really
makes up a fairly small portion of a mattress. A mattress will
generally have 6"-10" of one or more core foams with a 2"-4" memory foam
topper. Some cores are one layer of relatively cheap foam and other
cores have varying thicknesses of up to four different foams. Some cores
are simply stacked layers of foam but others include perimeter pieces
to stiffen the edges of the mattress; some include a layer of latex;
some have a gel skin; etc. The core is probably more important than the
memory foam topper. You will sink into the memory foam topper but the
core will support you. Think of it this way, if you put a 2" memory foam
pad on a hard floor it wouldn't make much of a sleeping pad but if,
instead, you put 2" of core foam on a hard floor it would make a
passable (not great!) sleeping pad.

The memory foam itself is defined by thickness, density and IFD rating. The IFD rating is the most
descriptive and also the most subjective---you'll just have to feel it
to know what you like. Not all memory foams are equal, some wear better,
some are hotter to sleep on, some emit a chemical odor, etc.

Good luck!
George

You lay on it for five minutes and you can tell. Had three of them in twenty years and the oldest one I gave to my cousin in Seattle and he says he got the best
sleep of his life the first night he slept on it. The original TemperPedic clone is best in my opinion. Good advice on smell. The ones at furniture for less don't stink.
Cottom matress pad and good cotton sheets solve the heat and sweat problem of memory foam beds. They are slightly warmer. Wonderful in winter not so good
in summer.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 26, 2012 6:28 pm

johninajijic wrote:Ms Thang - I can understand how you feel. We used to have a waterbed in the States and absolutely loved it. Our King mattress is very saggy (a Sealy Crapopedic). We need a new one, but since we're moving i'm not ready to shell out $ 1500 - $ 2000 US for a mattress.

CG - My neighbor has a Sleep Number and loves it.

John, IMHO, that is false economy when your health is concerned. A saggy mattress is hell on your back, your hips and your shoulders... and, if it's interrupting your nights sleep, then it affects a whole lot more.
Get yourselves something better to sleep on...you can take it with you or sell it before you go.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun May 27, 2012 11:00 am

Here's a possible alternative to replacing a saggy mattress.
If it is only pillow topped on ONE side, flip it over. Buy a 10 cm. (4 inch) memory foam topper for the side that SHOULD have been down. The topper can be rolled up and transported easily.
The house we just vacated had a top of the line pillow top Sealy Sagyourassic that was badly wowed. We flipped it over and had better sleeps than trying to fight your way out of the sags...a topper would have made it perfect.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next