INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marlowe's Marvelous

+6
merry
swope
Trailrunner
quiltbugj
manymoonsago
Chico
10 posters

Go down

Marlowe's Marvelous Empty Marlowe's Marvelous

Post by Chico Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:18 pm

I love buttermilk. I used to buy six at a time when Pancho was ordering, but still could not stem the tide of those who hate buttermilk and he finally stopped selling it as he was tossing more out than he was selling.

New at Superlake Marlowe's Marvelous Butter Milk and Marlowe's Marvelous salted homemade butter. In the cooler section. Have no interest in this company other than to keep my buttermilk supply alive and well. FYI, the buttermilk is not pasteurized.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Marlowe's Marvelous Empty Re: Marlowe's Marvelous

Post by manymoonsago Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Marlowe's butter and buttermilk are indeed wonderful. Her cottage cheese, coming soon I hear, should be also wonderful.

Should you have a sudden craving for homemade buttermilk biscuits and Superlake is closed, all it takes is a standing mixer (Kitchenaid, etc.) with a whisk and a shield for the bowl or a 11 cup or larger capacity food processor, a quart or more of even store-bought heavy cream, and a little patience, and you can make your own buttermilk and butter for the biscuits. See:
http://www.ournourishingroots.com/real-food-101-how-to-make-butter.
As they say, you don't do it to save $$, you do it because it tastes so good!
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:29 pm

We're visiting in August and are probably staying at a friend's home so we can make some of our meals. I really like cottage cheese for breakfast - is it sold in the Mexican groceries? If so, do you know what it is called en espanol?

Gracias
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Queso Cottage (kay-so coh-tah-hey).

We have it here, I've only found 2 companies that make it, can't find fat-free, and it's ok but not as good as you're probably used to.

Are Marlow's Marvelous products made locally? I certainly would welcome a new cottage cheese supplier!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:43 pm

quiltbugj wrote:We're visiting in August and are probably staying at a friend's home so we can make some of our meals. I really like cottage cheese for breakfast - is it sold in the Mexican groceries? If so, do you know what it is called en espanol?

Gracias

Cottage cheese is availablle pretty much anywhere, but it is not what you are accustomed to. It is more like cottage cheese soup, just like the yoghurt here. Drain and enjoy. chico.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Yes, Marlowe's butter, buttermilk, and now (soon) cottage cheese are locally produced by a gabacha (gringa) and all available at Superlake...in the cold case for dairy products, across from the fresh veggies.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by swope Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Chico wrote:
quiltbugj wrote:We're visiting in August and are probably staying at a friend's home so we can make some of our meals. I really like cottage cheese for breakfast - is it sold in the Mexican groceries? If so, do you know what it is called en espanol?

Gracias

Cottage cheese is availablle pretty much anywhere, but it is not what you are accustomed to. It is more like cottage cheese soup, just like the yoghurt here. Drain and enjoy. chico.

I'm not sure if it is available in your area but we purchase Borden's cottage cheese in either Sam's or Costco on our visits to Guadalajara. We have also found Lyncott brand to be the same quality. Nothing soupy about either.

swope

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:05 pm

[quote="swope"]
Chico wrote:

Gracias

Cottage cheese is available pretty much anywhere, .... We have also found Lyncott brand to be the same quality. Nothing soupy about either.

Yes, Lyncott brand anything is very much like "back home" but at Mexican (non-imported) prices. Lyncott brand cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, etc. etc.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 pm

I also like the Lyncott products. Their cottage cheese is divine. In Walmart, though, it's not with the other dairy products...it's with the sliced cheese and meats...where the veggies and bakery section is located.
I am always baffled by the "where" of product location in Mexican stores. Seek and ye shall find...eventually.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by swope Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Lejaim is a very good natural yogurt with no added sugar. As good or better than most supermarket brands NOB.

swope

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 am

Thank you, everyone!
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 am

El Toritos carries Lyncott. Try the pino coco yogurt if you can find it.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:41 am

Where is El Toritos?
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:16 pm

El Torito - On the carretera as you enter Ajijic from the east at the beginning of the commercial district.

Marlowe is from Roca Azul
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:37 pm

manymoonsago wrote:Yes, Marlowe's butter, buttermilk, and now (soon) cottage cheese are locally produced by a gabacha (gringa) and all available at Superlake...in the cold case for dairy products, across from the fresh veggies.

Never heard of "Gabacha". Looked it up and in Mexico it means "Yankee" Thanks for the Spanish lesson and keep buying that buttermilk. Got a little worried about my buttermilk consumption, so I Googled it and learned that buttermilk has a lower fat content than sweet milk, much to my surprise and relief. Drink up. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by newinajijic Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Just love Marlowe' Marvelous buttermilk, Just had some tonight in our russet mashed potatoes. I could drink this stuff by the quart. I have a seriously compromised immune system so I am a bit nervous about the unpasteurized bit. any thoughts on this. I have MDS.

newinajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Marlow operates the little store on Donato Guerra on the corner north of Number 4 Restaurant. She stocks all her products plus many items from the Tues Farmer's Market. Talk to her about it.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by newinajijic Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks Flamingo, I know the place and will ask, Lately Superlake has had a good supply of Buttermilk.

newinajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down