INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car towed in Guadalajara. How I got it back

2 posters

Go down

Car towed in Guadalajara. How I got it back Empty Car towed in Guadalajara. How I got it back

Post by Intercasa Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:53 pm

So yesterday I went to the Palacio Federal and parking was crazy, there was a line down the street just to enter the full lot and this was at 10am.

I dropped my friends off and then saw a spot on the street. I knew it was a yellow zone but thought I'll pay the ticket, its not like they use the boot like they do in Mexico City for parking offenses.

Things took a while and we came back and found they towed all cars parked on that street. Boy was I wrong and dumb!

Went to transito office but then realized they'd want a whole host of papers.

I looked up the law and procedure and this is what is required:

Copy of passport or driver license (and original)
Copy of factura and original (if Mexican plated)
Copy and original of receipt showing fees paid current (this applies to both Mexican and foreign plated cars, although law doesn't require foreign plated cars to be registered current, to get them out of impound the procedure says yes).
Original and copy of temporary import permit (foreign plated vehicles)
Copy and original of vehicle title with a translation (they usually want all official documents with an apostille as well)
Letter from the consulate where the car is from saying it hasn't been reported stolen.

Now... I didn't have the consulate letter or the apostille. I took the 7.30am bus to guad (42 pesos), then took the bus #604 (6 pesos) which dropped me in front of the transito center (Circunvalacion and Prol. Alcalde) at 9.15am.

I talked to a guy outside, there are many hustlers there who say they have friends inside and they know whop to bribe. They said the process to get my car out would take a few days but they could try and wanted 200 pesos to start. I said no thanks and started the process.

I entered the building and went straight and down 2 ramps, at the bottom I went left 200 feet to the folios and recuperacion de vehiculos window. There I had to give a copy of my vehicle registration (expired was ok), FM3 face page and copy of my license and temporary import permit. They then gave me the ticket and had me go to the pay window on the left to pay it, it ran 84 pesos.

Then I had to take copies of the FM3 face page, driver license, temporary import permit, expired vehicle registration and receipt for payment (along with all the originals) and go back towards the ramp to the peritos department where they would check the authenticity of my documents. I was worried that I didn't have the apostille for the title or the letter from the consulate so didn't give them those items and smiled and made small talk. I figured worst case i could get the items or give someone a tip. Turned in the items and then waited 30 minutes and they gave me a blue paper which I used to get my car out of the impound lot when is in Huentitan past the Zoo. Towing fees were 730 pesos and my car was there barely 24 hours. Cab ride was 60 pesos to get there. The towing company asked for a copy of my license and the paper from transito office. At 11am I was driving away from the towing yard.

It really wasn't bad and I think the transitos lakeside make things much harder for people. If your car is stolen and you recover it then there is another procedure as well as an extra item to do if your car is towed due to it being involved in an accident.

I've learned my lesson on parking, was the first and last time I'll go into Guad and not park in a private lot.

Those of you with foreign plated cars may want to have your vehicle title apostilled and translated and never keep originals in your car. You never know when you might get into a situation.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Car towed in Guadalajara. How I got it back Empty Re: Car towed in Guadalajara. How I got it back

Post by eñe Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:36 am

Crap, what a mess!

Is there someplace in the Chapala/Ajijic area who can take care of the car title translation/apostille? Or do I have to go to Guad to have that done?

Just curious, THANKS!!!

eñe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Car towed in Guadalajara. How I got it back Empty Re: Car towed in Guadalajara. How I got it back

Post by Intercasa Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:40 am

The title translation and apostille is only for foreign plated vehicles (US). apostilles would be from the secretary of state from where the vehicle is titled.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down